What do you think?

Zukoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Have about 13.8k miles on my type r right now. Can't decide if I want to get a daily to drive to and from work and save some miles on the r. Looking at a 91 crx si that is close to completely stock at 120k miles for around $5k. Is that a good deal or too much?

Can't decide between spending money on a daily or modding the type r. Thoughts?
Sponsored

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
The price per mile on the Type R is higher, BUT, it's not that much higher. The difference in gas mileage is a minimal cost per year and there's costs and annoyances associated with owning more cars. Daily the type R and don't look back. But don't mod it in a way that makes it worse for being a daily. (It's already much more fun to drive than a Golf R, for example, but Honda managed to make it just as comfortable!)

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Looking at a 91 crx si that is close to completely stock at 120k miles for around $5k. Is that a good deal or too much?
If that CRX is mint (and I mean MINT) then that's a good price, if you really want a CRX. If it's beat up at all, that's kind of a lot. Those cars are getting harder to find, true, but you're spending a lot on a 30 year old car that is going to need maintenance. Also, if you're thinking about modifying your brand new Type R, you're going to end up buying everything in the world for a CRX. They are great cars and are just begging to be tuned, and there are a zillion options out there. I'm not going to tell you not to get the CRX, but it's not what you're looking for.

If you want a daily, stay away from the CRX. Again, fabulous cars, great to tune and race, but they are lacking in creature comforts in a profound way. I have an EK project and I love it, but in 2018 I'm shocked at how raw and noisy and rattly and vabratey and tiny and otherwise hostile it is. Granted, it's had a lot of work done, but I don't know how we put up with cars like these for almost two decades!

If you want a daily, get somethng like an 8th gen Civic (I coincidentally have an Si for sale, but look locally). They are civil, reliable, respectable, have radios and air conditions that work, and you can get like an EX that's in good shape for about what you're looking at that CRX for. An Si will be a little more, but worth it.

That's my opinion since you asked, but honestly, if you want the CRX get it; the window is closing on these. Just don't fool yourself about it being a "daily," because it won't be.

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
I wouldn't waste my money on something like that. If you want a good DD, look at a Dodge Neon SRT4 or Acura RSX.

NinjamanCTR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
An SRT-4? You can't be serious. OP I think wants a reliable daily... haha
Have you ever owned a SRT4? If not, then don't assume they're junk. I've owned 2 SRT4's and they were very reliable. The only weak point is the trans but the rebuild on those is stupid easy.

NinjamanCTR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Don't have to own one to know they're a problem. I'm always surprised by what people think is reliable. When I worked at Volkswagen, all the fanbois that worked there tried to convince me to get one - "These TDi motors are good for a million miles!" while neglecting to mention you needed a $3000 fuel pump rebuild/replacement every 30,000 miles. So.... dead reliable, except for the transmission? Yeah, ok.

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #680 CW, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Have you ever owned a SRT4? If not, then don't assume they're junk. I've owned 2 SRT4's and they were very reliable. The only weak point is the trans but the rebuild on those is stupid easy.
Funny story...i test drove a brand new SRT4 Neon out of curiosity way back whey they still sold them new. During the test drive with the salesman the shift knob came off in my hands during one of my upshifts lol (guess they are snap on and don't screw on). I just blurted out "Wow!" and was laughing hysterically...the salesman wasn't nearly as amused as me lol.

NinjamanCTR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny story...i test drove a brand new SRT4 Neon out of curiosity way back whey they still sold them new. During the test drive with the salesman the shift knob came off in my hands during one of my upshifts lol (guess they are snap on and don't screw on). I just blurted out "Wow!" and was laughing hysterically...the salesman wasn't nearly as amused as me lol.
LoL I never experienced that myself but that's funny! On the other hand, we have many reports of low mileage Type R's leaking oil all over the place...

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I must admit I have never owned a Dodge out of the many many different brands I have owned. Unless it is a truck I recommend staying away from Dodge and even then I would buy a Ford truck before I bought a Dodge. I knew a few people who owned SRT-4's and they loved them, but as they got older the amount of up keep went up and up. I have to say on the people I know who own a Honda Civic or Accord they don't seem to have the added issues as miles go up. I am by no means a Honda fan boy either as I have owned 10 Mustangs so I would say I am a Mustang Fan if anything. Just I know Honda has built a brand on reliability and they pretty much sell themselves. While other brands like Toyota and Nissan have done a fair job at buying the same rep you can always find a deal 10K off MSRP. I have never found a Honda 8-10K off MSRP even with leftover model years.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
If you're looking at CRXs, why not a NA Miata? Cheaper, RWD, and just as reliable.

NinjamanCTR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I must admit I have never owned a Dodge out of the many many different brands I have owned. Unless it is a truck I recommend staying away from Dodge and even then I would buy a Ford truck before I bought a Dodge. I knew a few people who owned SRT-4's and they loved them, but as they got older the amount of up keep went up and up. I have to say on the people I know who own a Honda Civic or Accord they don't seem to have the added issues as miles go up. I am by no means a Honda fan boy either as I have owned 10 Mustangs so I would say I am a Mustang Fan if anything. Just I know Honda has built a brand on reliability and they pretty much sell themselves. While other brands like Toyota and Nissan have done a fair job at buying the same rep you can always find a deal 10K off MSRP. I have never found a Honda 8-10K off MSRP even with leftover model years.
What maintenance cost do you speak of with the SRT4? The only major thing I ever did was replace the internals in the trans at 130k miles and that's because I beat the car up at the drag strip. All I did before that was the basic oil changes and standard milestone maintenance that all vehicles go through as they age. That said, I think you're comparing the Dodge of old with the revamped Dodge line-up. They're not so bad now. My favorite manufacturer so far quality-wise is Honda-Acura though. I've owned a 2010 MDX and a 2016 MDX but left the mid-sized SUV to go for a larger vehicle in the '18 Ford Expedition which is an awesome ride.

Anyway, what type of Mustangs have you owned? I damn near pulled the trigger on a GT350 before I finally found a CTR at MSRP.
Sponsored