What did you pay?

Oxanamide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
Got offered EX 2016 OTD 22k with sensing 22.8k OTD from another dealer a little farther away.

I decided to go to the closer dealer, but it was a total waste of time, they promised me to match that price (or go lower), but then when I came in they told me they don't have the EX and only EX with sensing. I said okay give me a price. He gave me 24.3k OTD for an EX with sensing. I look at him and said if he was crazy. Then he offered OTD 23.8k and told me to take it or leave. I got up and left, while I was leaving to the door he slither like a snake offered a lower price like around 23.1k. He then started to walk and away expecting me to follow him. I just stood there waiting for him to come back and then offered 22.9k and I still said no.

Then his "manager" came and printer out a truecar report and told me I was getting a "crazy" deal. I was total ignoring the truecar report since I was looking for the OTD price, but he kept saying "this car is 25k", you're a great deal. So I took a look at the truecar report, it he printer out a Honda accord truecar reported not a Honda Civic truecar report. I told him that, but he said quickly (probably without much thinking) what's the difference. He then realized what happen and took it away to come back with the real truecar reported. A few hours later he offered an still slightly higher price, but then that price was not the real OTD price. He said "OTD + DVM fees + plates". Massive waste of time even speaking with these conman.

If anyone's shopping in NY PM me and I'll tell you which dealer to never ever go to.

przm_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx
Nice! Which dealership in Irvine? If I could get $21,471 with sensing I would be stoked!
She said Norm Reeves Honda (Irvine) earlier. I got a quote of $20,475 (excluding taxes and fees) from them for the EX-T without sensing - they said it would be around $22,500 OTD for me. I might take it since that's the best offer I've seen so far.

IP Freely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic, 2016 Civic Sedan EX-L
She said Norm Reeves Honda (Irvine) earlier. I got a quote of $20,475 (excluding taxes and fees) from them for the EX-T without sensing - they said it would be around $22,500 OTD for me. I might take it since that's the best offer I've seen so far.
You can do better than that. I know right off the bat you can bring it down by $500 and probably lower it further if you wait for some time and shop around. However, nobody would sell it to you for 20472 OTD in Southern Cal.

przm_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx
You can do better than that. I know right off the bat you can bring it down by $500 and probably lower it further if you wait for some time and shop around. However, nobody would sell it to you for 20472 OTD in Southern Cal.
Do you think if I show up to the dealership I can negotiate their price down by $500? Or should I just want for another offer from different dealerships until I get something decent enough?

IP Freely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you think if I show up to the dealership I can negotiate their price down by $500? Or should I just want for another offer from different dealerships until I get something decent enough?
You should just negotiate over the phone with this dealership and see how that works out. I've had offers from others for 22,000 OTD during and just prior to Labor Day. All I can say is it doesn't do any harm to keep shopping around.

Last edited:

przm_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx
If I have a deal from dealership A and dealership B emails me saying "If you found a better deal elsewhere, I hope you will give me the chance to match the price or beat it", when I respond should I forward the message of the quote from dealer A, or just tell him what it was?

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
If I have a deal from dealership A and dealership B emails me saying "If you found a better deal elsewhere, I hope you will give me the chance to match the price or beat it", when I respond should I forward the message of the quote from dealer A, or just tell him what it was?
They will need written proof of the price, so you can forward dealer B the message and remove any non-relevant content. Make sure dealer B at least matches the price & throws in a freebie like trunk mat, splash guards, etc. to sweeten the deal - worked when I did it. Good luck!

IP Freely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the other dealer is going to just match it, what do you care? If he can beat it substantially then it is a different kettle of fish. As far as forwarding messages, I'll refrain from commenting.

przm_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx
They will need written proof of the price, so you can forward dealer B the message and remove any non-relevant content. Make sure dealer B at least matches the price & throws in a freebie like trunk mat, splash guards, etc. to sweeten the deal - worked when I did it. Good luck!
Thanks for the info, hopefully he beats the price.

If the other dealer is going to just match it, what do you care? If he can beat it substantially then it is a different kettle of fish. As far as forwarding messages, I'll refrain from commenting.
If he beats the price I'll take it, if he matches it I'll just go to dealer A since they gave me the better price initially.

KyraMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX-T
BTW, RSM Honda was obnoxious. The Costco guy was pushy and ridiculous. I loved telling him Norm Reeves came below Costco pricing

przm_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx
BTW, RSM Honda was obnoxious. The Costco guy was pushy and ridiculous. I loved telling him Norm Reeves came below Costco pricing
I'm inclined to go with Norm Reeves just because they gave a good initial offer. I think through Costco the price at my local dealer was around $21,000 - 21,500 essentially leading up to $24,000 OT - so Norm Reeves is definetly cheaper than that. I'm going to make an appointment for tomorrow night and go there straight after college.

flashncrash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T w/Honda Sensing, 2016 Subaru Forester 2.5 Premium, 2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
Hi everybody. never looked at this forum until after i bought our car yesterday. Our sales tax is 9.5% so definitely envious of the states that don't have sales tax at all or sales tax on cars. Out the door for Cosmic Blue EX-T w/Honda Sensing was 23476.76 after 21099 ePrice. To give you an idea sales tax amounted to 2012.01 with other fees 365.75. Took a while to find the car as color/trim in California is rare. Since May 5, 2016 i've checked statewide and at most there were 2 in the whole state. Got mine because the dealership i bought from will put on their website cars "in transit" and i was able to secure one 2 weeks before they received it and one day after they posted it on their website. It was nice knowing that they agreed not to sell the car to anyone else and they did not require any down payment. Yes it is worth checking Truecar, AAA (who used Truecar but is usually 100 less), Roadster (for those of you in California), Costco (but you don't get any pricing until you talk/visit with the specific salespeople). I communicated via email after the initial inquiry on their ePrice and had several phone conversations as well. Have found that often the internet sales people don't get back to you very often so i asked for and worked with a internet sales manager. Oh yeah, they had the Pro Pack (wheel locks, splash guards, all weather cargo tray) on the car "dealer installed" for dealer price of 695 but i told them in earlier email and phone communications i did not want ANY dealer installed accessories. They didn't put up any fight and didn't charge for those items.

Last edited:

przm_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx
Hi everybody. never looked at this forum until after i bought our car yesterday. Our sales tax is 9.5% so definitely envious of the states that don't have sales tax at all or sales tax on cars. Out the door for Cosmic Blue EX-T w/Honda Sensing was 23476.76 after 21099 ePrice. To give you an idea sales tax amounted to 2012.01 with other fees 365.75. Took a while to find the car as color/trim in California is rare. Since May 5, 2016 i've checked statewide and at most there were 2 in the whole state. Got mine because the dealership i bought from will put on their website cars "in transit" and i was able to secure one 2 weeks before they received it and one day after they posted it on their website. It was nice knowing that they agreed not to sell the car to anyone else and they did not require any down payment. Yes it is worth checking Truecar, AAA (who used Truecar but is usually 100 less), Roadster (for those of you in California), Costco (but you don't get any pricing until you talk/visit with the specific salespeople). I communicated via email after the initial inquiry on their ePrice and had several phone conversations as well. Have found that often the internet sales people don't get back to you very often so i asked for and worked with a internet sales manager.
Congrats on the car! I also hate that California has a [EDIT: 7.5% + County] sales tax rate. For me it's 9%. It's pretty much paying an extra 1/10th of the cars total value. I'm going to look at Cosmic Blue and Pearl White colors tomorrow, hopefully I can decide between the two!
Sponsored

Last edited: