What did you do to your Civic today? (II)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Helix/Unity side markers (clear w/amber LEDs). Sorry for the dirty car and crappy cell phone pic.

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) Untitled 2

Last edited:

Torino_85

Hector & Christine
First Name
Christine&Hec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic lx
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Installed new LED light bulb Kit for head lights
I gotta say, big upgrade from my previous ones.
Side note, driver side bulb was temporary while my new ones came in. Left (driver) side went out so I replaced it with a spare I had for the meantime.

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) 2F95B0CE-3984-49C9-9C40-74997325310A

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) 8E27ADF2-FDC6-4676-8B62-BA696C769A9E

Before and after pics

Last edited:

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had my adapter setup for about... a month now. I had an old shift knob while I was waiting on this knob to show up. Zero issues so far, but I fabbed up my own adapter.
Would you mind explaining this fabbed adapter? I can't seem to find any AT knobs I like. So I'm thinking either a Mugen or NSX shift knob.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would you mind explaining this fabbed adapter? I can't seem to find any AT knobs I like. So I'm thinking either a Mugen or NSX shift knob.
Sure thing. Might be a bit long winded, just a heads up. lol.

I 3D model everything I wanna make to see how feasible it is to make.

here's my apparatus
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) shift_adapter_render_8a17b7cb27ab0c7301dd7e4f9cc0449f603c3b3e

and a cutaway view - disregard the fact that the adapter is flush with the top of the center shaft in this view. It protrudes by about a half inch on the actual setup
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) cutaway_dafe41336a1d1e0640e9ef9eea85720a132224a2

proof of concept from the testing phase with a random shift knob I got when my grille emblem came in.
Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) impassionedwellgroomedamericanalligator_size_restricted_16e50b14ad50c33dd9c910065c91e7ea588dd214

Honda Civic 10th gen What did you do to your Civic today? (II) plainquaintiriomotecat_size_restricted_ce3892db0d2e94084d4227dbfddfdc1a2d307c92

The middle 2 shafts are the existing CVT shift lever, white/silver being the outer shaft and the beige one is the shaft that gets depressed when you push the button on the knob. Here are the measurements I took:
Outer Shaft (hollow rod):
Outer diameter: 13.82mm (0.544")
Inner diameter: 10.24mm (0.403")
"usable" total height: 134.46mm (5.293") - Ballpark figure. Ran into some problems when I made the outer tube too long (specifically, couldn't shift into P), but nothing a little filing couldn't take care of. The piece I actually made does not extend past the bottom of the shaft collar like in my rendering above

Inner shaft (rectangular button shaft):
Approximately 5.8mm x 9.1mm with a 10mm flat round head
Max height above outer shaft: 25.54mm (1.005")
Min height above outer shaft: 7.47mm (0.294") (full button depression - 18.08mm / 0.712" max travel)
Minimum travel to be able to move shift lever: 7.47mm (0.294")

That said, if you push the button down at least 0.3" (7.62mm), it'll allow you to move the gear selector.

How it works:
The shift knob, fully threaded into the adapter (which I reamed out to 14mm), makes contact (maybe slightly depressing the middle shaft) with the inner shaft. A tube (1" ID, no more than 1.125" OD, appx 70mm in length) is screwed onto the adapter (just enough to hold the adapter, but not enough to make contact with the outer shaft) and a 14mm ID shaft collar at the bottom, with a long set screw (8-10mm IIRC) which is actually making contact with the outer shaft, holding it in place. I cut out a .7" oval slot into the tube to limit up and down travel by way of that long set screw. Well, moreso the upwards travel, so the knob doesn't go flying off. Now, the spring in the middle there is to keep upwards tension on the knob, so it's not flopping around. Push down on the knob, and it allows you to move the lever.

I went with Raceseng bc, like I mentioned, I felt like being a fancy bitch with their gucci af knobs, and the adapter is the only one I found that was close enough to make a pretty precise fit, but not too tight of a fit to grab onto the outer shaft since I needed the adapter to be able to slide up and down it. With the exception of the outer tube, everything was bought from the Ace Hardware down the street from my house. Some notes about the tube. I initially used a Delrin tube, since Delrin is kinda slippery, so to speak, and durable at the same time, but the 1.25" OD of that tube, while it cleared everything, started catching the shift boot with the up-down depression of the knob. I found a carbon fiber tube lying around (cannot for the life of me remember why I originally bought it), and the ID was exactly what I needed with thin walls, so I used that for my V1.2 adapter. Everything I had to "machine" was done with a battery-powered hand drill (Ryobi), a Dremel, and a shit ton of patience.

edit: added tube length

Last edited:

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sure thing. Might be a bit long winded, just a heads up. lol.

I 3D model everything I wanna make to see how feasible it is to make.

here's my apparatus
shift_adapter_render_8a17b7cb27ab0c7301dd7e4f9cc0449f603c3b3e.jpg

and a cutaway view
cutaway_dafe41336a1d1e0640e9ef9eea85720a132224a2.jpg

proof of concept from the testing phase with a random shift knob I got when my grille emblem came in.
impassionedwellgroomedamericanalligator_size_restricted_16e50b14ad50c33dd9c910065c91e7ea588dd214.gif

plainquaintiriomotecat_size_restricted_ce3892db0d2e94084d4227dbfddfdc1a2d307c92.gif

The middle 2 shafts are the existing CVT shift lever, white/silver being the outer shaft and the beige one is the shaft that gets depressed when you push the button on the knob. Here are the measurements I took:
Outer Shaft (hollow rod):
Outer diameter: 13.82mm (0.544")
Inner diameter: 10.24mm (0.403")
"usable" total height: 134.46mm (5.293") - Ballpark figure. Ran into some problems when I made the outer tube too long (specifically, couldn't shift into P), but nothing a little filing couldn't take care of. The piece I actually made does not extend past the bottom of the shaft collar like in my rendering above

Inner shaft (rectangular button shaft):
Approximately 5.8mm x 9.1mm with a 10mm flat round head
Max height above outer shaft: 25.54mm (1.005")
Min height above outer shaft: 7.47mm (0.294") (full button depression - 18.08mm / 0.712" max travel)
Minimum travel to be able to move shift lever: 7.47mm (0.294")

That said, if you push the button down at least 0.3" (7.62mm), it'll allow you to move the gear selector.

How it works:
The shift knob, fully threaded into the adapter (which I reamed out to 14mm), makes contact (maybe slightly depressing the middle shaft) with the inner shaft. A tube (1" ID, no more than 1.125" OD) is screwed onto the adapter (just enough to hold the adapter, but not enough to make contact with the outer shaft) and a 14mm ID shaft collar at the bottom, with a long set screw (8-10mm IIRC) which is actually making contact with the outer shaft, holding it in place. I cut out a .7" oval slot into the tube to limit up and down travel by way of that long set screw. Well, moreso the upwards travel, so the knob doesn't go flying off. Now, the spring in the middle there is to keep upwards tension on the knob, so it's not flopping around. Push down on the knob, and it allows you to move the lever.

I went with Raceseng bc, like I mentioned, I felt like being a fancy bitch with their gucci af knobs, and the adapter is the only one I found that was close enough to make a pretty precise fit, but not too tight of a fit to grab onto the outer shaft since I needed the adapter to be able to slide up and down it. With the exception of the outer tube, everything was bought from the Ace Hardware down the street from my house. Some notes about the tube. I initially used a Delrin tube, since Delrin is kinda slippery, so to speak, and durable at the same time, but the 1.25" OD of that tube, while it cleared everything, started catching the shift boot with the up-down depression of the knob. I found a carbon fiber tube lying around (cannot for the life of me remember why I originally bought it), and the ID was exactly what I needed with thin walls, so I used that for my V1.2 adapter. Everything I had to "machine" was done with a battery-powered hand drill (Ryobi), a Dremel, and a shit ton of patience.
WTF! :bow: I truly appreciate the detailed explanation! But that is way too much precise measurements and I do not have the patients for all that :rofl: with that being said looks great! Would love to do somethin like that myself but doesn't sound like it's gonna happen :rofl:

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
WTF! :bow: I truly appreciate the detailed explanation! But that is way too much precise measurements and I do not have the patients for all that :rofl: with that being said looks great! Would love to do somethin like that myself but doesn't sound like it's gonna happen :rofl:
Yes, the measurements are precise because I could (I have one of those fancy ass digital calipers). In practice, they're all ballparked. lol. The slot was cut by drilling 2 quarter inch holes and dremeling out the rest of the slot, using a file if I felt it catch anywhere. All the holes were marked with a pencil and me going "eh, looks just about close enough" haha

No lie, I tend to fab shit up/make shit when I'm bored and want something to do. That's how my DIY RAM intake ducting/heat shield happened. This shift adapter, too. My Vegas Golden Knights secondary logo Christmas tree star. Prolly why I can't own a car without constantly messing with it.

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, the measurements are precise because I could (I have one of those fancy ass digital calipers). In practice, they're all ballparked. lol. The slot was cut by drilling 2 quarter inch holes and dremeling out the rest of the slot, using a file if I felt it catch anywhere. All the holes were marked with a pencil and me going "eh, looks just about close enough" haha

No lie, I tend to fab shit up/make shit when I'm bored and want something to do. That's how my DIY RAM intake ducting/heat shield happened. This shift adapter, too. My Vegas Golden Knights secondary logo Christmas tree star. Prolly why I can't own a car without constantly messing with it.
NICE! I wish I had the time and the patience to do more things. Idk what I'm gonna do about my stereo system! It went from well I'm gonna add a sub for a lil more base. Know it's blown into holy shit I'm gonna have to take a week off work to get this done! :rofl: