First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
guys, The only CVT other than this Handuh Civic was the WRX "autotragic" with a CVT. That thing gets like 18 mpg. This Civ gets 30+!! I like the ride of the civic, smooth and not a jarring but a comfortable ride, you hear me, my last Honda was a 2006 Accord V6 and it's night and day. I can't believe I can get a tourbow on the lowest trim!! This is insane! The looks are also unique and maybe polarizing to some but I love the hatch a ton more than the sedan for the rear tailights alone. Money well spent!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at the Mazda 3 but it was just too cramped inside. I was intrigued by the Hyundai Elantra Sport and that was the car I really wanted. The problem was, the DCT version was almost impossible to find in the color/options package I wanted. I just gave up. Hyundai really screwed the pooched on the inventory of the Sport.

My choice wound up being between the Civic EX hatch and the EX-T or EX-L sedan. I went with the EX-L sedan and love it. The leather is a nice upgrade over the cloth. I wanted a blue car this time and chose the Cosmic over the Aegean. The Aegean is a great color but just a little bright for me. Wish the Cosmic was a little less dark though.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
My only runner up:

'17 Civic LX sedan NA or 1.5T, it was that close yet so far apart, the irony is palpably delicious. You can say the 2015-2016 subaru wrx CVT was a mild runner up but compare that CVT to a heavy duty Honda CVT from the Accord and Honda wins with 30+ MPGs!

I did look at used Miatas (think RC from 2006 forward) but for one I can't shift but the ATs never drew me and I mildly considered a new one for near 30k like the RF that just came out in FEB, but with this 'Civ 'Vic for 10 grand less, you got some nerve Mazda. TBH, I was oblivious of the Civics until Someone helped me pick the Civic (although not the hatch) so I have to thank those in the universe who get things started from zero or gravity or "from the jump" or "from the word Go".

The winner: '17 Hatch, always wanted a tourbow!

Last edited:

neonBarnacle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT
I ended up getting a '17 Civic EX-T sedan 6MT, with my alternative being a '17 Chevy Volt.

It sounds a bit weird, but having driven econoboxes for most of my life, I wanted my next car to be a "new" experience - either a stick shift or a plug-in EV. The Volt was definitely a solid vehicle, but it had several minor disadvantages and annoyances that added up to compel me to choose the Civic:

1) Rear seats were very cramped in the Volt; Civic back seats felt much roomier.
2) Volt is a heavy car for its size, and turning felt very sluggish.
3) The L1 charging cord provided with the car wasn't long enough to reach from my driveway to the nearest socket (don't have a garage).
4) The Volt featured a hand-controlled brake paddle that activated regenerative braking separate from the foot brake. I was looking forward to using it, but found it frustrating to use; unlike conventional pedals it only had one "power" setting, so if you activated it above 30mph it felt like you just slammed on the brakes. Definitely a far cry from what I imagined it to be.

Add on the premium price (even with $7.5k federal tax credit), and the Civic was a too-obvious winner for me.

Rikdrt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Civic
Country flag
I am still looking at Toyota86 and WRX, and i know these are apples and oranges, especially the 86 but it looks like the Civic will win soon.

WRX is fast, but reliability isnt as solid and mpg is worse as is ride quality
86 is two passenger and Si wins for sheer versatility and fun factor

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I am still looking at Toyota86 and WRX, and i know these are apples and oranges, especially the 86 but it looks like the Civic will win soon.

WRX is fast, but reliability isnt as solid and mpg is worse as is ride quality
86 is two passenger and Si wins for sheer versatility and fun factor
Get the WRX

fluffyvader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport
Country flag
Corolla iM - Cheap and actually looks great. Also pretty roomy inside surprisingly. Power is pretty weak tho lol but good enough for most daily driving situations. Just wish the car had a bigger aftermarket.

Mazda3 - Love the handling but felt cramped inside. Rear end still looks a little awkward to me.

Accord Sport - A little more expensive but nice and feels very mature/refined.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a '15 WRX,
So I didn't want to repeat, EVEN THOUGH the 18 WRX did get nice upgrades...but the Si is a real competitor to the other sport sedans now what to do.....
I'd get the WRX over the Si anyday if I had the money for either or.

Rikdrt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Civic
Country flag
I'd get the WRX over the Si anyday if I had the money for either or.
Base WRX is about 2K less than the Si or Premium WRX is 2k over Si.......

Man, got me thinking now.... but Si still is new tech... idk

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag

WRX is better aside from MPG, plus a cobb tune and the Si can't compete unless you drop money on a new clutch. Even then, AWD vs FWD

Rokkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Altima

Have you driven both of them yet? The WRX definitely has the Si beat on paper as far as sportiness goes, but you might test drive the Si and decide it's the car you'd rather do you driving in for the next X years. You can narrow down which car is giving you the most for your money, but you've still got to see if it 'clicks' with you. Especially if you think you might be tired of the WRX, it might be worth it to jump on a Si lease and see if the next gen of WRX brings any bigger changes.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Have you driven both of them yet? The WRX definitely has the Si beat on paper as far as sportiness goes, but you might test drive the Si and decide it's the car you'd rather do you driving in for the next X years. You can narrow down which car is giving you the most for your money, but you've still got to see if it 'clicks' with you. Especially if you think you might be tired of the WRX, it might be worth it to jump on a Si lease and see if the next gen of WRX brings any bigger changes.
18 WRX is just mostly brake, interior and transmission changes (clutch, gearbox). Quality of Life changes.

Rokkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Altima
18 WRX is just mostly brake, interior and transmission changes (clutch, gearbox). Quality of Life changes.
Exactly. If you're feeling tired of the WRX (you didn't say, just that you thought you should go for something new) you can hang with an Si (or focus, or golf) until the WRX gets a new gen rather than just a refresh.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
I was undecided between the Kia Niro and Hyundai Ioniq. Then I test drove both and whoah! I just couldn't believe how gutless they were. I practically had to give the Ioniq half throttle to get it to move at all. I'm coming from a base Acura RSX auto, which is no speed demon, but my beloved Acura felt like it had twice the power of these two. Both the Ioniq and Niro got great gas mileage on my test drive, but the drive forced me to move to number 3 on the list: Honda Civic Hatchback LX with 6MT. Dealer finally got a 6MT in black for me to test drive. I won't buy a black car, but I didn't find any drivability problems and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the interior and and a few other things on the LX. I ordered one. I'm giving the dealer 3 months to get me a 6MT LX hatch in some other color but black. Otherwise, I'll probably get the Niro.
Sponsored