What did you almost buy? And why you chose the Civic

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
2018 WRX STI

Ended up with the Civic because I never drove a MT before and everyone on the internet said wait for the STI redesign in 2020 and learn on the Civic because its one of the easiest.
Sponsored

BrieOfBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring 4 door sedan
Looked at Mazda3 and Impreza. Honda had pepper, quieter, and better fuel economy. Interior was much nicer, better leg room, better exterior looks. Mazda 3 display looks like it will snap off. Android auto is a huge bonus. Civic feels like a luxury car, and the others like ordinary cars. Mazda 3 did have amazing steering feel, but the other cons made it not even close.

Stegodon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Almost waited for a type r.

Then I realized...

I hate fast and the furious.
I'm a adult
I would baby the type r to much
I don't have time for track days
I don't enjoy revving on teenagers
I don't like driving like a A-Hole
Basically anything most people consider "fun" to do in a type r I wouldn't do

Long story short I like the type r look. Don't need the type r "go"

So I bought a Ex that i will mod to look cosmetically pleasing.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looked at the ST, price point was higher than I wanted. Looked at Hyundai's a while back, and then read LOTS of consumer reviews saying that the 10/100k warranty is basically worthless as Hyundai seems to have a sludge problem with their motors that was causing the oil to sludge quicker than it should, and allowing Hyundai to void the warranty if you had ever had even one oil change not done at the dealer. That sounded fishy to me but there were several in the hundred or so reviews I went through saying the same thing. Had no problems with my 2010 Si besides a leak in one of the spark plug tubes and that was it.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Looked at the ST, price point was higher than I wanted. Looked at Hyundai's a while back, and then read LOTS of consumer reviews saying that the 10/100k warranty is basically worthless as Hyundai seems to have a sludge problem with their motors that was causing the oil to sludge quicker than it should, and allowing Hyundai to void the warranty if you had ever had even one oil change not done at the dealer. That sounded fishy to me but there were several in the hundred or so reviews I went through saying the same thing. Had no problems with my 2010 Si besides a leak in one of the spark plug tubes and that was it.
Interesting to know. Hyundai's big sell is their longer warranty, but doesn't surprise me they are doing everything to get out of it. I saw this and found it interesting:

http://jalopnik.com/hyundai-is-refusing-a-warranty-fix-on-a-mans-car-becaus-1791708058

http://www.seedebtrun.com/2012/10/americas-worst-warranty-why-i-will-never-buy-another-hyundai.html/

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Interesting to know. Hyundai's big sell is their longer warranty, but doesn't surprise me they are doing everything to get out of it. I saw this and found it interesting:

http://jalopnik.com/hyundai-is-refusing-a-warranty-fix-on-a-mans-car-becaus-1791708058

http://www.seedebtrun.com/2012/10/americas-worst-warranty-why-i-will-never-buy-another-hyundai.html/
A friend of mine got rid of his Veloster because Hyundai wouldn't honor their warranty on it, too.

There was a big recall announced within the past month or two about Hyundai motors failing because of metal shavings clogging up oil passages. It wasn't across-the-board, but it probably should have been (or will be) because it wasn't just a couple batches. I think it was worse: a fundamental mistake in the production process that should have never happened in the first place.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
A friend of mine got rid of his Veloster because Hyundai wouldn't honor their warranty on it, too.

There was a big recall announced within the past month or two about Hyundai motors failing because of metal shavings clogging up oil passages. It wasn't across-the-board, but it probably should have been (or will be) because it wasn't just a couple batches. I think it was worse: a fundamental mistake in the production process that should have never happened in the first place.
What happened specifically that he needed fix they didn't warranty ? The Veloster seems like a nice cheap coupe to mod as a secondary car but I wasn't keen on how it drove myself personally.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
What happened specifically that he needed fix they didn't warranty ? The Veloster seems like a nice cheap coupe to mod as a secondary car but I wasn't keen on how it drove myself personally.
It was pretty much the exact same issue that prompted the recall -- oil starvation in the crank (I think; I'll go look for the news article). Hyundai recalled a LOT of Sonatas and a couple other models, but no Velosters, even though the problem was the same.

mechatune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.slow
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A Jetta, but it was gonna cost more. The Civic's redesign really caught my eye, interior and exterior compared to the Jetta's basicness. I also needed something more reliable and easier to maintain in the long run.

BrieOfBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, I almost bought a Civic Hatchback EX-L with Sensing. I love the look and utility of hatchbacks and was sold on the car. However, the dealer quotes I was getting from Edmunds was not that great. I chatted with one of the dealers on the phone and she said the hatch was in high demand and there are better deals on the Sedan. That made me think: I have a minivan if we really need to haul something. The back end looks a little more mature. I'm 41, and the fake plastic grills in the back look cheesy to me. And the sedan gets 2 mpg more. Why do I really want a hatch? I decided to resubmit my Edmunds request with a 4 door and one of the dealers offered me several hundred under invoice on a Civic Touring WOP with black leather (OTD 27,128). This was cheaper than the best price for the EX-L hatch with sensing I was quoted. I looked at the car with the LED headlights and the extras such as the stereo and I was sold. I couldn't be happier ;)

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually, I almost bought a Civic Hatchback EX-L with Sensing. I love the look and utility of hatchbacks and was sold on the car. However, the dealer quotes I was getting from Edmunds was not that great. I chatted with one of the dealers on the phone and she said the hatch was in high demand and there are better deals on the Sedan. That made me think: I have a minivan if we really need to haul something. The back end looks a little more mature. I'm 41, and the fake plastic grills in the back look cheesy to me. And the sedan gets 2 mpg more. Why do I really want a hatch? I decided to resubmit my Edmunds request with a 4 door and one of the dealers offered me several hundred under invoice on a Civic Touring WOP with black leather (OTD 27,128). This was cheaper than the best price for the EX-L hatch with sensing I was quoted. I looked at the car with the LED headlights and the extras such as the stereo and I was sold. I couldn't be happier ;)
They bullshitted you hard on that as the CVT hatches are a dime a dozen. Sounds like they were trying to clear out older inventory. Right now I am showing 700+ EXL hatches in the country on Autotrader and 9500+ hatches of all trims.

chuck_d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
They bullshitted you hard on that as the CVT hatches are a dime a dozen. Sounds like they were trying to clear out older inventory. Right now I am showing 700+ EXL hatches in the country on Autotrader and 9500+ hatches of all trims.
This may be the case, however I love my hatchback. I live in So Cal and see a LOT of civic sedans but relatively few hatches in comparison. And for me, the hatch looks much nicer in person than in pics. And that turbo is really lively and actually gets the same or better mpg than the sedan with how I drive (feather-foot, like a grandma). Plus the sedan/coupe (whatever it's called) is consistently rated a less-fun / rewarding drive than the hatch. I'm so glad I got this instead of another Golf. Although, to be fair, my 2012 Golf TDI was the best car I've ever owned. But this civic may take that crown.

BrieOfBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be, it was less common with sensing, at least in 100 mile radius of where I live

AegeanHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I almost got a 2017 Accord Sport . Got the 17 Hatch sport instead. I do love it ,however, I've had a few moments of buyers remorse and wonder if I should have just gotten the Accord.
Sponsored