What did you almost buy? And why you chose the Civic

b0j4ngl35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
If I'm going to make car payments I'm going to drive something I like.
This. I give my friends this advice all the time when they're looking at new vehicles. If you're spending a few hundred bucks per month for a new car, it's infinitely easier to do so when you love what you're driving. If you feel the same about your car as you do about your washing machine, it's gonna be a lot tougher to stomach writing that check. I've lived on both sides of that situation lol, on the right side of it now :D

On-topic: The only vehicle I was seriously considering other than the Civic hatch was the Subaru Crosstrek, for the AWD and little bit of extra ground clearance. Having driven both, the Civic won me over in how tight and responsive everything felt, and after driving in some pretty serious snow without issue, I feel just fine about my decision. I've said it before but the Civic takes me back to when I had an '08 Mugen Si. Not the fastest car I've ever driven by a long shot, but the most fun, and this hatch reminds me of it and why I fell for Honda every day.
Sponsored

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
On-topic: The only vehicle I was seriously considering other than the Civic hatch was the Subaru Crosstrek, for the AWD and little bit of extra ground clearance. Having driven both, the Civic won me over in how tight and responsive everything felt, and after driving in some pretty serious snow without issue, I feel just fine about my decision.
I actually prefer less responsiveness. However if I had bought the Crosstrek I'd be sad I didn't get Android Auto. Of course now that Android Auto doesn't require a headunit anymore this benefit of the Civic is slim.

maduste

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It was either a low-miles Audi A3, or a hatchback.

A3: expensive to buy and maintain (I came from an Audi A4), no manual transmission. But it was really fast, comfortable, solid, and I have liked Audi styling for decades.

Toyota iM: Weak performance. I like how it looks, and it's cheap.
Mazda 3: Friends with Mazdas dissuaded me, one that had his 3's engine go up in flames, and another that drives an RX8.
Ford Focus: The ST looks great, but my ex-wife drives a Ford. Can't do it.
Hyundai: I have preferred Hyundais visually over Hondas for years. After Ubering in them, I was less fond of their interiors.

Honda: I loved Hondas when I was a kid. I did not get one until 2002, when I bought a used 1992 Civic DX manual with almost no miles on it. Great car. I also bought a Civic Hybrid in 2004, and a 2006 Odyssey in 2009. Honestly, since about 1992, I have not been thrilled with Honda's designs. They were great in the 80's. This model Civic is a better effort. It's still a little crazy looking, like it doesn't quite make sense, but looks great in most ways.

It's plenty fast. The manual transmission is a joy to use. The seats are way more comfortable than I expected, and I don't miss the Audi's leather too much. It's also much quieter than I expected - less road noise, wind noise, and fewer creaks and squeaks than I could have hoped for. One thing that Honda never lost was interior ergonomics. Everything works exactly how you would expect it to. Fuel economy is great. I am driving almost all city miles while working the engine and no econ mode, and I am getting 28.5mpg. It will be easy to get into thirties with a slight adjustment.

For about $9K less than the A3, I feel like I am driving something of an engineering achievement. It has everything I wanted. Except an audio system. I'll post about that later...

Last edited:

grimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring MSM
Country flag
Mazda 3 - Didn't have android auto, or any mentioning of when they would get it.
Chevy Volt - too expensive, wouldn't get much of a tax rebate.

Civic was the only car that had everything I wanted.

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
What mileage you getting? If I just cruise on the freeway I can break 42 actually and my mix is usually more city/town driving and I get on it all the time and last tank I got 32 overall
Same here. Steadily low 30s, with 50/50 mix. I can get mid to upper 40s if I do all highway. Looks waaaay cooler than a Prius, so I'm totally happy. Although the new Prius is pretty neat looking.

iulianm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW Golf 7 GTI DSG
Country flag
I almost got the Mazda 3.

I don't care so much about the space as any car in this compact class would fit my need however what set the Civic apart for me was the driving position and the fact that the seat is lower.

The NVH and interior in the Civic are way better as well, however for me it was the driving position.

DLittle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cruze, 2013 Grand Caravan
2017 Subaru Impreza Touring - Has anyone compared this vehicle to the 2017 civic? Thanks Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
At first I was going to get a used car. I previously had an '08 Nissan Altima and it was a good used car and had a good purchasing experience.

Looked at and test drove:
- 2013 Hyundai Veloster (too small, and 3 doors? WTH?)
- 2011 Subaru Impreza Hatchback (award for worst interior, barf)
- 2011 Subaru Outback (almost got this, but the Carproof showed a previous front end accident, sleazy dealer was reluctant to disclose, I ran away)

Decided a new car was what I wanted, checked these out:
- 2016 Subaru WRX (too expensive due to short financing terms plus wanting top end trim)
- 2016 Subaru Crosstrek (absolutely no power!)
- 2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan (Got it, love it!)

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
At first I was going to get a used car. I previously had an '08 Nissan Altima and it was a good used car and had a good purchasing experience.

Looked at and test drove:
- 2013 Hyundai Veloster (too small, and 3 doors? WTH?)
- 2011 Subaru Impreza Hatchback (award for worst interior, barf)
- 2011 Subaru Outback (almost got this, but the Carproof showed a previous front end accident, sleazy dealer was reluctant to disclose, I ran away)

Decided a new car was what I wanted, checked these out:
- 2016 Subaru WRX (too expensive due to short financing terms plus wanting top end trim)
- 2016 Subaru Crosstrek (absolutely no power!)
- 2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan (Got it, love it!)
was thinking about the WRX too..but walked away as soon as I think about the maintenance and gas mileage. They are not unreliable..but the civic is definitely easier.

JrHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
I tested and drove a 2017 mustang Eco boost Premium felt heavy didn't really feel that dynamic maybe I couldn't push it the way I wanted too at the time I was driving at the time a mustang 5.0 2014 was looking for something more economic and comfortable new mustang has irs but I didn't feel that much difference driving around 40 miles a day and sitting in traffic test drove the civic coupe I don't know why I drove an EX-L and didn't enjoy it my last choice was the hatchback sport and felt what I wanted a dynamic fun to drive care and I really enjoyed it compared to the rest of the civic line up drove an accord sport and I didn't feel as good as the hatch. do I miss the power yeah but being my first Honda I realize its not all about power or 0-60 times the driving dynamics and being able to drive the car to the limit is just as fun probably even more so...at first I thought never but I realized I was ignorant this car looks good drives good is economic nice interior way better then my fully loaded mustang gt 2014 and way more comfortable all while being the base model civic yeah the mustang has 3 years but still it was almost 40 grand from the factory....

cobrati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Country flag
Was originally interested in the Civic but wife thought we should look at something more mid-size with a baby on the way. Test drove used Mazda 6 and Kia Optima and both were great. Mazda of course has great feel in the drive, classy interior, and is rated for great mileage but is really lethargic with "only" 174hp. . .manual helped but still never felt quick. Optima I tested was the turbo SX and that had no problem being quick! Loaded with technology too. Gas mileage suffers in such a big powerful car though. Around 30 is decent but really wanted more.

Finally I was able to test out a new Civic with my wife and we were both pretty blown away. It really wasn't much/any smaller inside than the other cars and pricing wasn't much more than getting a used 6/Optima with 20-30k miles. Of course the Civic sedan ex-t has some great tech (not as much as Optima but still pretty loaded for a not top of the line model) and the gas mileage rated at 40 was exactly what I wanted with my 40 miles commute to work every day. After that test drive it was just a matter of waiting for my dealer to find a car. . .manual ex-t's are still pretty rare around here. Took a month or so after that test drive for my car to arrive but well worth the wait.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Nothing.

You know how some cars just feel like a good fit? I've only had Civic hatchbacks since my first one in 1990. No idea what it is, but they just feel like "my" car.

I can't even remember the last time I test drove anything. Oh, wait -- it was a 2nd-gen Insight with CVT. I think this was 2007 or so. I sat in an FR-S two or three years ago at a car show and regretted it right away -- it fit perfectly and I wanted it badly, but I've got literally no use for a car with no cargo space.

I guess I could include the two Civics I drove the day I got my Touring hatchback. I wanted to compare the manual and CVT, but because they had no manual hatchbacks on hand, I tried two coupes instead. I was set on waiting for a manual Sonic Grey Sport hatchback, but 1) we were kind of in a hurry, 2) the dealer said, "Good luck if you want to wait, they're hard as hell to get," and 3) my wife liked the all-black Sport Touring.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
I'm still on the fence whether to spring for a Tesla P100D or go for the Civic Type-R. Still got the Tesla Mod3 on reservation, but it looks like the dual-motor version (and therin the "P" variant) won't be available until Q3 2018. So now I'm leaning toward the CTR to hold me over until then, since I wouldn't have to sell any Bitcoins or anything dumb to buy it.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'm still on the fence whether to spring for a Tesla P100D or go for the Civic Type-R. Still got the Tesla Mod3 on reservation, but it looks like the dual-motor version (and therin the "P" variant) won't be available until Q3 2018. So now I'm leaning toward the CTR to hold me over until then, since I wouldn't have to sell any Bitcoins or anything dumb to buy it.

Just get both so you don't have to worry about making the wrong choice.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Just get both so you don't have to worry about making the wrong choice.
I only have one space left in my garage.

/firstworldproblems
Sponsored