What did you almost buy? And why you chose the Civic

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So guys, when you were shopping for the Civic, what other cars did you consider? and why did you end up buying the Civic?

For me, it was the Civic Hatch Sport, Mazda 3, WRX, and the Elantra Sport. I wanted something practical with good gas mileage that I could use as a daily driver, but at the same time have fun. Immediately the WRX left my list because insurance was the equivalent of a car payment for me. Then it was between the Civic, 3, or Elantra, which I flipped flopped on several times. Eventually the Mazda was out because of the gas mileage and the 2.5 NA engine. I then flip flopped on the Civic and the Elantra for awhile. The Elantra had that crazy warranty, more HP, and more standard features, it seemed like a no brainer for me, however every Honda I've owned had been a great reliable car. Eventually what sold me was that no Hyundai dealership around me had an Elantra Sport that I could test drive while the Honda dealership next to my house had a bunch of CVT Hatch Sports. When I saw the exterior in person and sat inside one, it just felt right. After a test drive, and search around for a good deal, I eventually came back and put an order in for my Hatch Sport in Manual.
Sponsored

RetroJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T 6MT ViTuned
Country flag
I considered the Mazda 3, Impreza, Cruze, Elantra, and Golf Tsi. Decided on the Civic since it seems to be the best value and had the best driving characteristics to me. Plus I just like the way the new Civic Sedan looks.
I've owned 3 VW diesels, (ALH motors were awesome), a GTI with the 2.0 DI , 2 Civics , Accord, Integra, Nissan Altima. The VW's were the most tempermental, but I loved them for the diesel torque, tunability and ridiculous mileage. The Hondas were dead reliable, but boring as can be. The GTI was quick and fun, but I started to spend too much on upgrades so I got rid of it. :doh:

I'm a bit older now, so I no longer need anything too fast, but I still love to drive and have a bit of fun. The Civic works for me in that respect.
The decision was made simple once I test drove the MT. They really should have made them much easier to find with the manual tranny. :drive:

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a few other choices on my list:
* Mercedes CLA250 --> No manual transmission
* BMW 230i --> Not available in a Sedan. To get that power in a manual sedan, had to spend too much
* Audi S4 --> Far too much money for what I wanted
* Subaru WRX --> Nice, and was ultimately my second choice, but just not nearly as fun. Didn't feel right to me like Hondas do.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Here is my list... I choose the Civic over anything else because I want a new car.

I have a thing for wagons and I love the look of the crosstour and the TSX wagon. Front engine, rear wheel drive cars are my favorite, so there are plenty of them on the list. I always want to try the nissan V6 power. I think the Civic Hatckback sport is a good combination of everything.

Crosstour
TSX
TSX wagon
ILX
FRS
350z/370z
IS250
G37

Last edited:

OP
OP
FK7Hatch

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Mazda 3. Main thing was Android Auto. Seems silly but I'm glad I have it.
I heard there's actually a hack for the Mazda 3 to get android auto on there... I wanted Car Play and Anrdoid Auto to, which is why i was really eyeing the Elantra, but i realized I can live without it in my sport. Cause I use an Iphone, but I use all Google Apps which doesnt play nice with Carplay

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
researched mazda 3, sentra sr turbo, elantra sport, cruze I think(pretty sure it wasn't sonic). mazda and nissan were removed when comparing rear leg room, trunk cargo room, mpg, 6MT availability, as well as other specs. some categories the civic lost but most I cared about the civic won. I did actually choose the elantra sport but when dealers near me couldnt even estimate when they would finally get one, plus the fact that similarly equipped it was like 4k more I think I went with the civic that was already at the local dealership.

all those reasons PLUS Im kinda die-hard honda... 8 of last 9 purchases has been a honda (TRX and CBR included) and Ive had probably 20 by now.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I almost bought a TLX but hesitated because of the automatic transmission and because, at that time, there were TypeR rumors beginning to circulate.
Next I almost put a deposit on a Tesla 3 but ultimately decided the TypeR would be more appropriate for me.

I plan to daily the TypeR until its paid off, then get a Daily Driver, restore the TypeR, and have it as a weekender/nice day car.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I plan to daily the TypeR until its paid off, then get a Daily Driver, restore the TypeR, and have it as a weekender/nice day car.
I'd just plan to keep my CTR nice and clean from day one, I'd hate to have to restore a car in a few years that I'd owned since new lol.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I'd just plan to keep my CTR nice and clean from day one, I'd hate to have to restore a car in a few years that I'd owned since new lol.
I know what you're saying. My current car I picked up with 3 miles and despite my best efforts, it has stone chips in the front and bad floor mats at the drivers seat. The wheels could use a mechanical/chemical cleaning and the black plastics that I didn't replace along the way are fading. Probably would take 2 days to get it back to about 99% so I guess not bad for 8 years and 174k miles!

Andrew

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Mazda 3, Mercedes GLK (used), Ford Focus hatch, HR-V.

Basically I found the civic to have the best bang for your buck.
Features I strongly desired were: safety sensing, brake hold, remote start, and a good looking interior and exterior. Obviously the new Civic has all of these :thumbsup:

Mazda 3 was definitely a close second, but it got to be about $2-3K more than the TOURING civic with all the features I wanted.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I've been considering a variety of cars that meet the following:
- Fun to drive.
- 6MT.
- Room for family.
- Fuel/cost efficient.

I've narrowed my cars down to:
- GTI: Probably the best engineered car of the bunch. Long term reliability (beyond 100K) is my only real concern.
- Mazda 3: Had they offered another Mazdaspeed3, I would seriously consider. But this car lacks the response & fun factor I've come to love from owning a turbocharged car. Otherwise I love the amenities and driving dynamics of the GT.
- Focus ST: Great driving car with a notchy shifter and awkward driving position, particularly with the Recaro seats. Interior ergonomics are a hit & miss.
- Accord Sport: More room and more refined interior (though less amenities by comparison). Weight and power delivery are minor gripes with me. Will be my choice if Honda botches the Si and I can't get a good deal on the EX-T 6MT.
- Civic Si: Patiently waiting for specs, but this will probably by my choice. Checks all the boxes except for possibly LEDs. Something that's reportedly easy to swap out with factory replacements. The driving dynamics, interior quality and ergonomics in the EX & Touring I have driven are good for the price, though not as good as the Golf/GTI.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Ooh fun!
I leased a 2016 Civic EX Sedan in June of 2016. My runners up:
2017 Hyundai Elantra: Android Auto, all the same features as Sensing, true BSM. A better value than the Civic. Didn't do it because the insurance would have been way more expensive--not sure why.
2016 Mazda3 Sedan: Not as good a value as the Civic, also no Android Auto.
2016 Kia Soul: Not enough room in the back for cargo, no spare tire unless you add it and then it will consume some of that precious room... autonomous safety features lacking compared to Sensing.
2016 Subaru Legacy: My closest call. Down to the wire between the Civic and this. Legacy has true BSM, but Civic had Android Auto. Wife liked both cars equally. Decided I really wanted Android Auto, and Lanewatch would do.
2016 Subaru Crosstrek: Same situation as the Legacy, except lower MPG than the Legacy. No Android Auto.
2016 Toyota Corolla: Crappy IIHS crash test scores, no Android Auto, no autonomous safety features.
2016 Toyota Prius: No Android Auto, almost $30K to get everything else I wanted.

The only car on this list I still wonder if I had gone with is the Crosstrek. Reason being that my real world MPG in the Civic is disappointing; also, I could've just bought a phone mount, instead of insisting on Android Auto. I really like Subaru's exterior styling, doesn't matter if it is an Impreza or the Crosstrek I admit, I stare a little bit! I see a lot of Crosstreks, I either don't see Legacys or they just don't stand out.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The only car on this list I still wonder if I had gone with is the Crosstrek. Reason being that my real world MPG in the Civic is disappointing; also, I could've just bought a phone mount, instead of insisting on Android Auto. I really like Subaru's exterior styling, doesn't matter if it is an Impreza or the Crosstrek I admit, I stare a little bit! I see a lot of Crosstreks, I either don't see Legacys or they just don't stand out.
What mileage you getting? If I just cruise on the freeway I can break 42 actually and my mix is usually more city/town driving and I get on it all the time and last tank I got 32 overall

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
What mileage you getting? If I just cruise on the freeway I can break 42 actually and my mix is usually more city/town driving and I get on it all the time and last tank I got 32 overall
Overall mixed mileage is 31.9-32.9 mpg (2.0L). I can get 40 mpg+ on the freeway, but city mileage is a drag, consistently in the 20s. Almost like they should've rated it 25/32/40, instead of 31/35/40.
Sponsored