What car were you cross shopping your Si with?

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I love love love my Si and couldn't be happier with it. It's indeed the perfect daily driver and commuter.

Just wanted to know if you guys test drove any other cars before buying your Si.

I looked at low mileage 9th gen Si's, Volkswagen GTI and Elantra Sport. Didn't get to test drive Elantra Sport, but read very good reviews about it.

All in all, I chose the Si because I'm a Honda guy and the Si has terrific gas mileage to fun factor. Not to mention all the goodies that we get standard.
Sponsored

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
Well im coming from a 2015 wrx- Cross shopped all your typical awd and hatch cars; Golf R, Volvo S60, Stinger/G70, CTR. While i can easily afford any of those cars, in the end i decided a Civic Si suits 95% of my needs while costing about 50% less to own over the course of 5 years than those other cars.

Once i decided id be fine with a tunable, reliable, well built fwd car, the Si was really the only option imo. I love the dashboard, interior styling, limited slip diff, adaptive dampers, and outstanding resale value/demand. All that for about $23k (if you work a good deal) is a bargain that's hard to beat.

I really wanted a CTR, but where i live, plus the low miles i drive, i just cant seem to justify spending the extra money...and believe me im trying lol. But im excited about the extra money im saving going from a wrx to an Si. I love to do stuff- For example I brought a friend to the San Jose Sharks/Las Vegas Knights game 7 this year + went to 2 other playoff games. That was my 3rd game 7 I've been to in the last 3 years

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
Focus ST, but Ford stopped making it
Not nit picking, but Ford does still make a 2019 Focus ST, its just not offered in North America. Just informing people who may live or are stationed over seas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Well im coming from a 2015 wrx- Cross shopped all your typical awd and hatch cars; Golf R, Volvo S60, Stinger/G70, CTR. While i can easily afford any of those cars, in the end i decided a Civic Si suits 95% of my needs while costing about 50% less to own over the course of 5 years than those other cars.

Once i decided id be fine with a tunable, reliable, well built fwd car, the Si was really the only option imo. I love the dashboard, interior styling, limited slip diff, adaptive dampers, and outstanding resale value/demand. All that for about $23k (if you work a good deal) is a bargain that's hard to beat.

I really wanted a CTR, but where i live, plus the low miles i drive, i just cant seem to justify spending the extra money...and believe me im trying lol. But im excited about the extra money im saving going from a wrx to an Si. I love to do stuff- For example I brought a friend to the San Jose Sharks/Las Vegas Knights game 7 this year + went to 2 other playoff games. That was my 3rd game 7 I've been to in the last 3 years
I totally agree! The Si is definitely an excellent bang for your buck car. I'm glad to hear that you're able to have some good times with the extra money in your pocket. And yeah, a CTR is a dream for me right now, but with a TSP stage 1 tune, I definitely feel like the Si is even more of the right choice.

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
I totally agree! The Si is definitely an excellent bang for your buck car. I'm glad to hear that you're able to have some good times with the extra money in your pocket. And yeah, a CTR is a dream for me right now, but with a TSP stage 1 tune, I definitely feel like the Si is even more of the right choice.
Thanks man! I haven't bought the car yet, but I'm anticipating doing so this weekend :) Im glad you're enjoying the car so much. I can't wait to modify mine too lol. I was just giving an example to people of the joys of having financial freedom. Ive always budgeted myself to be able to afford to do whatever i want within reason. I'll just have more money to play with on Robin Hood now lol.

But everyone enjoys their money differently and thats ok. I just hate to see people so tied down with debt all they can do is drive their car for entertainment lol I'm 40 though and all about balance and not overspending on diminishing returns.

Last edited:

Vrruumm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Focus ST, Sentra Nismo, WRX, Mustang GT, BRZ, MX5, R32 GTST, Toyota Yaris, and many other manual cars under 30k i could get.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Mustang, Subaru BRZ, MX5 (Miata)

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
I haven’t owned a stick for 7 years and wanted to get back into one. Test drove a base VW GTI S but could never get comfortable enough in the seating position. My right leg would be too close to the gas and brake when my left leg was perfect for the clutch. Plus the shifter didn’t feel as good and precise as the Si. I really wanted a hatchback and loved the interior of the GTI but just couldn’t get comfortable enough in the drivers seat. First time i drove the Si i was able to configure the seating and steering wheel position to my liking very quickly. Plus I loved the front seats that a lot of reviewers were raving about. Better than the GTIs. Like so many others I just wish there was a hatchback Si as well but the sedan is just fine for my family needs. I wanted to test drive the Elantra GT N-Line in manual too but its really hard to find one. Didn’t want to test drive the Veloster N since the 3 doors just kills it. I wish Hyundai would bring the i30N over to the states.

Ruppdogg78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Accord, 2012 Civic EX, 2018 Civic SI
Country flag
My commute since 2000 is over 110 miles per day. Bought a new Civic EX in 08 and a 2012 EX in 2015. When shopping last year, I narrowed my Civic options down to the EXT with sensing or the SI. Test drove both trims and went with the SI for the fun factor. I've hated driving for close to two decades but the SI has put some fun back into my commute.

69L46Vert

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe, 2003 Civic DX, 1977 CJ5, 1969 Corvette, 1954 GMC 100, 2018 Toyota 4Runner, 1965 Volkswagen Beetle
Country flag
Was first interested in an 86. I liked it pretty well but the SI was a much better deal.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I did test drive the Elantra sport turbo with auto and I test drove the Si. although I have a knee problem it was hard to use the clutch on the Si . The Si is quicker and priced better than the Elantra sport turbo plus the Honda has a better reputation so I settled for a EXT coupe with a CVT

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
BRZ/FRS = too small for my needs
GTI + Jetta Sportwagen = Liked them both, but having had VW's for the previous 20 years, I wanted to try a Honda.

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Was considering 3 cars, in 3 different cost ranges: SI, Mazda MX5, Nissan 370 Nismo. I went for the best value after driving all 3. Very happy with my choice.
Sponsored