What brand of gasoline/octane?

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Hi everyone,

I currently drive a Civic HB LX and was wondering what gas should I use for good long term reliability.

The instruction manual does say 87 + for the LX model, however I would like to know if higher grade will effect the reliability of the car long term.

Also a subaru Tech told me that apparently all Canadian gas stations have poor fuel quality except esso, is this true?
Sponsored

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The LX only needs 87 octane. Anything higher and you are just wasting your money, unless you've done some engine mods, then higher octane may be beneficial.

Oddly, Esso used to have the poorest quality of fuel. But their new fuel is supposed to be good. Stick with any of the Top Tier gasoline brands. The Top Tier standard was partially developed by Honda. The 3 major brands should be fine - Esso, Petro Canada, and Shell - they are re all perfectly fine.

I filled up my TSX for 11 years with Shell. No problems whatsoever, and never added any additives.

Last edited:

mechatune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.slow
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also have an LX. Been using Esso 91 octane. I spend the money cuz it runs smoother and gets better mileage (more of the former).
I get 2.5c/litre off using their privileges card tho.

Honda Civic 10th gen What brand of gasoline/octane? chowyun

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The LX only needs 87 octane. Anything higher and you are just wasting your money, unless you've done some engine mods, then higher octane may be beneficial.
I know that is traditionally how things worked but from what I have read and understand about the knock control system on the 1.5T you actually do pick up power gains on non Sport models with premium fuel. Sorry, I do not have any sources handy.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Could be the placebo effect but my car seems to run better on the 89 octane Sunoco Ultratech I just filled up with (versus 87).

yyzcbphatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini CS
Vehicle Showcase
i have been running 89....the car seems more responsive....or its is just my mind playing tricks on me.....i have used a few tanks of Shell 91, but to honest...not much oof differences compared to 89.

Tom

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
I heard conjecture that the only reason Sport models get the +6 HP is due to the 91 Octane recommendation, and that the LX shares the same system -- so theoretically, if you use 91 Octane, you will also have 180hp. Unverified of course, and 6 HP is such a miniscule number that it can be affected by the weather, road conditions and what you had for breakfast.

Otherwise, using a higher Octane than is required by your car will only waste your money.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Sport models have a higher flow exhaust, which supposedly also helps with the additional power.

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
The Sport models have a higher flow exhaust, which supposedly also helps with the additional power.
If it's actually functional then great. I just like the way it looks ;)

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use Costco 91 for my Sport Touring but I like the treat her once in awhile with some Petro Canada ULTRA 94! LOL

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I use Ultra 94 on my LX but only because im getting a custom tune with 94 octane. Before that I just used 91.

And yes, higher grade can you better results on this platform if you tune it or run any of the base-maps. But for stock, stick with 91 as I read even the non sport models get a bump in HP if you use 91.
Sponsored