What are your top 3 complaints with the Civic Si?

marklodi

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Sure I'm repeating stuff - and this may change after a few months/years - but after about 2 weeks, my (very minor) list would be:

1. No pause function for USB music. Seriously? You can pause just about everything else but not USB? Ford Sync can; did it all the time in my 14 Mustang.
2. No physical volume control. But I sure as heck can turn the temperature up and down like a pro!
3. Steering wheel controls aren't illuminated.
4. (Bonus answer) - Subwoofer needs serious steroids. Thinking of calling Russian Olympic athletes for advice... ;)

Only 300 miles on it so far, so give me time. :)
Sponsored

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1. Exhaust is too quiet and ugly.
2. No self leveling HIDs or inclusion of the existing LED housings Canada gets.
3. 1.5t instead of 1.6t or 1.8t... or at the very least vtec

two out of the three are easily changed. the 3rd is overcome with boost.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
1. No hand brake. Why, Honda, whyyyy?!?!

2. The spare tire kit mess/unavailability.

3. No leather option.

It's a really awesome car though, otherwise. #3 can be mitigated with 3rd parties, #2 is hopefully just a matter of time, and #1 can be eventually learned to live with. Although grudgingly. :)

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
1. No pause function for USB music. Seriously? You can pause just about everything else but not USB? Ford Sync can; did it all the time in my 14 Mustang.
The POWER button effectively serves as both a MUTE and PAUSE button. Touch it and it whatever you're listening to mutes or pauses. Touch it again and it unmutes or begins playing again.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Drove one for 75miles.
1. Lack of power
2. Barely any sound (no like the glory days of the previous generations)
3. Heel and Toe is impossible to do with the pedal layout. No like my previous FA5 that was so easy to do.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
- No heated steering wheel (my old E38, and my fiancee's CR-V spoil me like that)
- The cigarette lighter doesn't give 12V while the car is off (contrary to old BMWs). I like to leave my work phone plugged in my car overnight and have it charged the next day ready to go
- no nav, but that's pretty minor thanks to CarPlay

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
1. The Subwoofer in this car sucks
2. No sunglass holder
3. No Homelink

Pretty much minor convenience things. Other than that you cant beat great handling, 40+ mpg and adequate power right out the box. This is my first Si and I can tell you it feels great knowing you don't really need to do much to this car to get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

marklodi

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
The POWER button effectively serves as both a MUTE and PAUSE button. Touch it and it whatever you're listening to mutes or pauses. Touch it again and it unmutes or begins playing again.
Yes, but there's a problem with that method - powering off the audio RESETS the "random" order of tracks. When that happens, songs you just heard can play again because the order has been reset. A true pause feature would allow that random order to be maintained.

On a related note, can anyone tell me if you can use playlists (.m3u for example) with USB devices? I haven't looked too closely at this, but I have a feeling the answer is no. If so, add that as another minor annoyance.

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan
Country flag
1.) The worst part of my si is the lack of a volume knob, so frustrating.
2.) The exhaust could be just a little bit louder.
3.) Finally, it is a bit too heavy and you really feel it.
Honda purposely made the 10th gen si a bit more subtle because they wanted to make the new CTR seem more impressive and to eliminate any competition between the si and R.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
1. No hand brake. Why, Honda, whyyyy?!?!
Just curious. Why is hand brake better? Obviously you can't slide with the electric, but other than that, I feel everything about the electric brake is superior in theory (I haven't experience electric brakes before). The Fiata Abarth has hill assist (only holds the car for a second or two. not the nice hill hold you guys get) and I'm perfectly happy with that on hill starts and I haven't need to use the hand brake for hill start. I'm jealous of your hill hold. I wish I had that. Seem so nice to not have to hold the brake at traffic stop. And my theory is that you need electric brakes in order to implement hill hold, but I could be wrong. Something to do with single event upset laws where if you advertise the system will hold the car for up to 15 minutes, then you must have a backup system (in this case the electric brakes). Sorta like in an airplane where almost everything have a backup.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
...And my theory is that you need electric brakes in order to implement hill hold, but I could be wrong. Something to do with single event upset laws where if you advertise the system will hold the car for up to 15 minutes, then you must have a backup system (in this case the electric brakes). Sorta like in an airplane where almost everything have a backup.
I may be wrong, but I believe it just uses regular brakes until you either start moving or hit the brake pedal -- you're probably thinking about the 'brake hold', which starts with regular brakes but switches to parking brake automatically after 10 minutes.
Also here's something to remember regarding the hill start assist:
Hill start assist may not prevent the vehicle from rolling downhill on a very steep or slippery slope, and does not operate on small inclines.
So basically it's unreliable; I've seen not engage in some cases, and I'm a huge sucker for consistency of behavior when it comes to operating a vehicle. :)

As for "why is hand brake better", -- to me the advantages are:
1) simplicity of implementation/fewer things can go wrong/break;
2) ability to set or release it when the battery is dead;
3) no delay when applying it;
4) direct mechanical control over how much is applied;
5) ability to quickly "change your mind" mid-application and "undo" it right away before it fully sets or releases;
6) direct mechanical feedback to your hand...

That's all I can think of this early in the morning :)

Also, in general, I just don't like for the car to "hold my hand" too much in any way, and this is one of the ways it does it (unnecessarily IMO).

Last edited:

rushwal

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I may be wrong, but I believe it just uses regular brakes until you either start moving or hit the brake pedal -- you're probably thinking about the 'brake hold', which starts with regular brakes but switches to parking brake automatically after 10 minutes.
Also here's something to remember regarding the hill start assist:

So basically it's unreliable; I've seen not engage in some cases, and I'm a huge sucker for consistency of behavior when it comes to operating a vehicle. :)

As for hand brake, to me the advantages are:
1) simplicity of implementation/fewer things can go wrong/break;
2) ability to set or release it when the battery is dead;
3) no delay when applying it;
4) direct mechanical control over how much is applied;
5) ability to quickly "change your mind" mid-application and "undo" it right away before it fully sets or releases;
6) direct mechanical feedback to your hand...

That's all I can think of this early in the morning :)

Also, in general, I just don't like for the car to "hold my hand" too much in any way, and this is one of the ways it does it (unnecessarily IMO).
7) visual indicator that the brake is on without having to search out a little BRAKE light that usually gets hidden behind a steering wheel spoke and turns off when the car is off.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're right about unreliable. On the first few days with the Fiata, at first I noticed the hill assist immediately, but then during one drive over the next couple of days, there's none assist at all regardless how steep the hill is. Then I stopped, had lunch, and when I took off, the assist came back. And sometimes it seem to hold the car quite a long time like, I swear, 10 seconds (I sometimes test it when I'm on a hill). But when it works, it's quite good even on moderately steep hills. That's why I think if you need hill assist, then the brake hold on the SI is much better. All brake hold implementations I've ever heard off comes with electric brakes so it seems to me you can't have brake hold without electric brake. So that's one pro for electric. Plus even if I don't need brake hold, I'd use it anyway because I can just let it hold the car in place and with the brake lights lit for safety while I take my feet off of all pedals. That seems like a good feature to me, but of course I have no first hand experience with that feature.

Man, you do much more with your e-brakes than I. All I ever use my e-brakes for are hill start and parking. Although I do remember when I was learning stick and I stall on an uphill, I grabbed the hand brake real fast then slammed on the brake and clutch. So if I were to stall on an uphill today with the electric brake, I would probably still slam on the brake and clutch and that would probably make my car roll into the car behind. It will take some use to.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
7) visual indicator that the brake is on without having to search out a little BRAKE light that usually gets hidden behind a steering wheel spoke and turns off when the car is off.
You mean there's no way to have the SI automatically set the e-brake when you shut the car off? I remember seeing some Civic video mentioning that feature. Maybe it only works for automatics?
Sponsored