What are the Ktuner basemaps?

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So the basemaps come with 3 maps? What are the differences with maps 1, 2 and 3 on the 23 psi basemap?
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
So the basemaps come with 3 maps? What are the differences with maps 1, 2 and 3 on the 23 psi basemap?
Below are the Ktuner base maps that come with Ktuner

Honda Civic 10th gen What are the Ktuner basemaps? Ktuner Starter Maps.JPG

You can find more information on them here: http://ktuner.com/17civicsi/

You are better off using the TSP Stage 1 maps, they are much better IMO. I used the Ktuner base maps for about 2 weeks and found that TSP's maps were much better

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Below are the Ktuner base maps that come with Ktuner

Ktuner Starter Maps.JPG

You can find more information on them here: http://ktuner.com/17civicsi/

You are better off using the TSP Stage 1 maps, they are much better IMO. I used the Ktuner base maps for about 2 weeks and found that TSP's maps were much better
What is defined as "much better"? I only ask because it seems people on these forums think more hp = always better while sacrificing drivability and reliability. KTuner is more conservative than TSP, ultimately being less stressful on the engine.

An engine has already been blown. Reliability should be strongly considered given the history. Keep a conservative tune and never have to worry about clutch slip, knock, or a blown engine for the sake of a few hp/TQ.

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What is defined as "much better"? I only ask because it seems people on these forums think more hp = always better while sacrificing drivability and reliability. KTuner is more conservative than TSP, being less stressful on the engine.
I'm strictly talking drivability. Both tunes are pretty conservative, but TSP keeps power going all the way into the RPM range while Ktuner base maps you see the power drop

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
What is defined as "much better"? I only ask because it seems people on these forums think more hp = always better while sacrificing drivability and reliability. KTuner is more conservative than TSP, ultimately being less stressful on the engine.

An engine has already been blown. Reliability should be strongly considered given the history. Keep a conservative tune and never have to worry about clutch slip, knock, or a blown engine for the sake of a few hp/TQ.
The ktuner basemaps give you a bigger hit down low. Power drops off up high. This is less safe for the drivetrain.

The TSP Stage 1 map will give a steady pull all the way to redline. It was created by Derek. If you don't know, and you want to know, use the search.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What is defined as "much better"? I only ask because it seems people on these forums think more hp = always better while sacrificing drivability and reliability. KTuner is more conservative than TSP, being less stressful on the engine.
The TSP setup is designed for the on the fly map switching so you get 3 different maps. A lower power map 1, mid power map 2 and the high power map 3.

Like you said it isn't just about power. Derek's TSP tune is amazingly driveable. Look, I like the Ktuner tunes but ultimately they felt too "front loaded". In other words at part throttle they felt snappy but ran out of steam above 5000 rpm.

The TSP tune is more linear. Press lightly on the throttle and it's softer. Put your foot into it and it goes. And it keeps going and feels more potent at higher rpm than the KTuner tunes. It's a fantastically designed tune. I have no desire to go back to the base KTuner tunes because Derek nailed the TSP tune.

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
KTuner is more conservative than TSP, being less stressful on the engine.
Not exactly, no

TSP stage 1 map 1 is factory boost levels so there's that.

It could even be argued that since Ktuner base tunes are completely unlocked and TSP has options restricted, Ktuner base tunes have more potential for damage due to potential bad / inexperienced tinkering

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The ktuner basemaps give you a bigger hit down low. Power drops off up high. This is less safe for the drivetrain.

The TSP Stage 1 map will give a steady pull all the way to redline. It was created by Derek. If you don't know, and you want to know, use the search.
DRobs not new to me. There's a reason why every time I see "misfire", "knock" or other things tune-related in this forum,t seem to have the same tune in common.

Good, CLEAN power is important. No knock, CEL, misfire...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
DRobs not new to me. There's a reason why every time I see "misfire", "knock" or other things tune-related in this forum they have the same tune in common.
You're saying Derek's tunes are the ones with issues? I've been here since CivicX started back in 2015 and I feel confident in saying this...

The canned tunes created by Hondata, MAP, KTuner and TSP are conservative and have proven reliable.

The issues I've seen come from misuse, abuse and in some cases, neglect by owners.

For the record I have no issues with knock, misfire or check engine lights and I'm on TSP's Stage 1 tune. Best tune out there.

Last edited:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
DRobs not new to me. There's a reason why every time I see "misfire", "knock" or other things tune-related in this forum,t seem to have the same tune in common.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/tuned-civic-x-reliability-experience-survey.42361/

I've run multiple tunes. The TSP Stg 1 tune has been the best I've found. Many people have posted in the thread above about their experiences. The people who have had issues are the ones who typically also have posts bragging about racing, bouncing off the rev limiter, using questionable mods, etc. They are in the minority.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

You will rarely find a stock Civic with either the Ktuner base maps or TSP's stage 1 tune with misfire, knock, or throwing codes. Most of the "engine blown" threads had bolt-on's and custom tunes. You will see codes being thrown when members start changing their intakes, DP, etc

OP
OP
JDMpo0kie

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You will rarely find a stock Civic with either the Ktuner base maps or TSP's stage 1 tune with misfire, knock, or throwing codes. Most of the "engine blown" threads had bolt-on's and custom tunes. You will see codes being thrown when members start changing their intakes, DP, etc
yeah. I just had to change the downpipe to catless because I was running E85. Otherwise I would have ran the catted downpipe. Sigh.. I miss destroying people in races.. lol

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yeah. I just had to change the downpipe to catless because I was running E85. Otherwise I would have ran the catted downpipe. Sigh.. I miss destroying people in races.. lol
In Mexico, technically, you can still do that with TSP tune or even stock map. Just have to pick the right targets (Altima, Camry, older Civics, etc...).

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well look at it this way... there is always going to be someone faster. That's what keeps me grounded. Now you can enjoy your car the way it was meant to be, and when you get the money you can build out your engine
Sponsored