What are the best fitting/easy to install aftermarket speaker upgrades? Specifically for a LX Coupe

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
I have a 2017 LX Coupe still with the 4 stock speakers, and after doing lots of lurking and research here, I wound up adding Polk db1001 tweeters to the front (by mounting them to a set of the triangle tweeter sail panels from the higher trims). I have also installed a Dasaita Android head unit and a Memphis 15" subwoofer (with a JBL CLUB-5501 mono amp).

At this point, I feel my mids coming from the current stock speakers are not up to par with the low and high end of my system and now I want to upgrade the front door speakers for my LX Coupe.

My question is, what are the best fitting and easy-to-install front speaker replacements? I would like to go with components, but I already have the db1001 tweeters because they fit perfectly and was unsure if there are any component front speakers that have tweeters that are just as easy to fit as the db1001 tweeters.

Polk has a db6501 component set that I was considering, and I was wondering if anyone here has that model and can comment on if the component tweeters fit just as perfectly as the db1001's, along with the mid-range door speakers if those are also easy to swap with the stock ones.

If anyone knows of any other component speakers that fit perfectly in the tweeter sails and doors, please chime in!

I could also consider 2-way coaxial speakers to replace just the stock door ones but am unsure which ones have the best mid-range/bass as the reviews for all the ones I looked at showed the bass was lacking and I'm trying to go for the most balanced and quality sound while staying in a reasonable budget ($100 - $150 at the most).

Thanks!
Sponsored

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
There are no drop in direct replacements.

I did these. And would say it was still a 5/10 difficultly. Still need modification / hole drilling. But but no modification of sheet metal necessary. I achieved a perfect fit for the tweeters by way of circular hole saws and hot glue.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-y1bNnaKQHnO/p_091ISS165/Focal-Integration-ISS-165.html

Also - for the tweeters, nobody makes a compatible harness adapter for the tweeter. So you either have to be OK with soldering into your factory wiring or really good with fitting pins and make your own harness.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Solder tweeters ftw.

If you like your tweeters and only want some 6.5's, Parts Express has separate components for cheap.

I used adapters from Crutchfield for my doors, but ended up snipping out the stock speakers and mounting my replacements to the plastic outer ring for the rears. There's a video of an install on YouTube that uses the second method

Also, dampening the doors, and adding foams (roadkill had the best price at the time) and gasket tape made a huge difference in midbass response

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I put Audiofrog GB15's in my sail panels and it only required shaving a small amount of plastic from the inside of the sails to get them to screw in, so it was really easy. For connectors, I just bought an extra pair of the OEM tweeters and cut the connectors off then soldered some wire to them.

Pretty much any 6.5" will drop into the doors with the Honda speaker rings that are offered by several companies. I posted a comparison of two of the options, with measurements.

OP
OP
long_meats

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
There are no drop in direct replacements.

I did these. And would say it was still a 5/10 difficultly. Still need modification / hole drilling. But but no modification of sheet metal necessary. I achieved a perfect fit for the tweeters by way of circular hole saws and hot glue.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-y1bNnaKQHnO/p_091ISS165/Focal-Integration-ISS-165.html

Also - for the tweeters, nobody makes a compatible harness adapter for the tweeter. So you either have to be OK with soldering into your factory wiring or really good with fitting pins and make your own harness.
Thanks for the input! I'm trying to avoid modifying the stock wiring, but I'm sure I could use the Metra speaker wire adapter thing and hook those up to the crossover (if I go with components), then the mids/tweeters from there. I don't mind as much modifying the aftermarket components if needed, though would prefer not to if it can be avoided with the right purchase(s).

Solder tweeters ftw.

If you like your tweeters and only want some 6.5's, Parts Express has separate components for cheap.

I used adapters from Crutchfield for my doors, but ended up snipping out the stock speakers and mounting my replacements to the plastic outer ring for the rears. There's a video of an install on YouTube that uses the second method

Also, dampening the doors, and adding foams (roadkill had the best price at the time) and gasket tape made a huge difference in midbass response
Thanks for the info! I'm not familiar with that site, it appears there are only 3 midbass options that fit:

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/d...eca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&PortalID=1

Do you happen to know why stuff there is so much cheaper than elsewhere? The one in the middle (Pyle PLG64 6-1/2" 300 Watt Midbass Woofer 4 Ohm) is only $13, that is impressive if it's better than stock.

I put Audiofrog GB15's in my sail panels and it only required shaving a small amount of plastic from the inside of the sails to get them to screw in, so it was really easy. For connectors, I just bought an extra pair of the OEM tweeters and cut the connectors off then soldered some wire to them.

Pretty much any 6.5" will drop into the doors with the Honda speaker rings that are offered by several companies. I posted a comparison of two of the options, with measurements.

Those are just the tweeters right? I already have Polk db1001's, but am aiming to upgrade the front door mids from the factory stock door ones.

Using the connectors from the OEM tweeters is a great idea that I will keep in mind if ever needed as I actually happen to have some unused OEM ones laying around that came with the sails. Though I don't have factory wiring going up to the tweeters since I have the base LX trim, but can probably order the correct factory plug from a OEM parts site or something.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not familiar with that site, it appears there are only 3 midbass options that fit:
Parts Express is a hobbyist site. There are also all of these

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/m...eca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&PortalID=1

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/woofers/15?N=19809+4294967118+4294965077+4294965095&Ne=10166&Nrs=collection()/record[endeca:matches(.,"P_PortalID","1")+and+endeca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&PortalID=1

Pyle doesn't really have the best of reputations. I've never personally used any of their products.

Lanzar Opti drive was pretty awesome back in the day. I think those are individual speaker prices, not pairs.

I have a Dayton subwoofer that I'm pretty impressed with and people seem to find their products to be decent bang for the buck.

Shop around

There's also here

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/speakers/

https://www.crutchfield.com

And eBay

Last edited:
OP
OP
long_meats

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
Parts Express is a hobbyist site. There are also all of these

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/midrange-midbass-drivers-full-range-speakers/16?N=21631+4294967118+4294965077+4294965095&Ne=10166&Nrs=collection()/record[endeca:matches(.,"P_PortalID","1")+and+endeca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&PortalID=1

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/woofers/15?N=19809+4294967118+4294965077+4294965095&Ne=10166&Nrs=collection()/record[endeca:matches(.,"P_PortalID","1")+and+endeca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&PortalID=1

Pyle doesn't really have the best of reputations. I've never personally used any of their products.

Lanzar Opti drive was pretty awesome back in the day. I think those are individual speaker prices, not pairs.

I have a Dayton subwoofer that I'm pretty impressed with and people seem to find their products to be decent bang for the buck.

Shop around

There's also here

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/speakers/

https://www.crutchfield.com

And eBay
Ahh I totally missed that entire section, thanks for the link!
Any idea if PRV Audio is any good?
Also, I currently have 12 db/octave in-line crossovers for my Polk db1001 tweeters (frequency response of 4,000-23,000 Hz).
Question: If I go with a midrange/bass speaker, should I also add a in-line high-pass crossover for it?
Should I also add a low-pass crossover to it as well (since I have a sub)?
Also, what frequency response range for the mids would be ideal to match my tweeters?

Thanks so much for the help!

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Using the connectors from the OEM tweeters is a great idea that I will keep in mind if ever needed as I actually happen to have some unused OEM ones laying around that came with the sails. Though I don't have factory wiring going up to the tweeters since I have the base LX trim, but can probably order the correct factory plug from a OEM parts site or something.
Stock factory tweeters are very expensive. I don't recall exactly but I thought they were around $50 a piece. It was too much cost for me to sacrifice them just to have a piece of plastic off of it.

Also - FYI the stock head unit / amplifier from the factory already has crossover filtering built into it. The output for each channel (woofer / tweeter / subwoofer) is tuned already. There is no full range (flat) signal in any of the outputs. Adding another crossover to the system might degrade the output.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Stock factory tweeters are very expensive. I don't recall exactly but I thought they were around $50 a piece. It was too much cost for me to sacrifice them just to have a piece of plastic off of it.
Nah, not that much. I paid $14 each from magauto.com.

Also - FYI the stock head unit / amplifier from the factory already has crossover filtering built into it.
That's true for the cars with the external amp (the 10 and 12 speaker systems) but not true for the lower trims. Those have four full-range outputs - front left, front right, rear left, rear right.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question: If I go with a midrange/bass speaker, should I also add a in-line high-pass crossover for it?
Should I also add a low-pass crossover to it as well (since I have a sub)?
Also, what frequency response range for the mids would be ideal to match my tweeters?
PRV as far as I know makes good amps for the money as far as independent bench tests I've seen. I'm not sure about the speakers. Online reviews seem favorable. I was tempted by them. :p

Crossover points vary with what speaker you choose as well as what you have, but you'd definitely want one. You could do this with a passive bandpass or an active electronic.

If you want to add an amp for your other speakers, an active crossover is the way to go. However, for what you are doing now budget wise, this would probably work

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-800-5-khz-band-pass-4-ohm-crossover--266-452

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hehe not sure how I quoted myself

OP
OP
long_meats

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag

Also - FYI the stock head unit / amplifier from the factory already has crossover filtering built into it. The output for each channel (woofer / tweeter / subwoofer) is tuned already. There is no full range (flat) signal in any of the outputs. Adding another crossover to the system might degrade the output.

I have the 2017 LX coupe, which just comes with just 4 factory speakers and a 160w head unit sadly.

Also I got the tweeter trim panels from hondaautomotiveparts.com (part #'s 76220-TBG-A11ZA and 76270-TBG-A11ZA) for $10.17 each (shipping was $8.26), which actually came with the factory tweeters already attached (I didn't even know the panels included them).

OP
OP
long_meats

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
Thanks for the info and link! I see that it ranges from 800 - 5 kHz, do you think that the low-end of that range (800 Hz) conflicts at all with my subwoofer which the sub amp crossover is currently set around 90-100 Hz? Since from what I gather, there will be a range between 100 - 800 Hz that is filtered out and won't be audible?

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the info and link! I see that it ranges from 800 - 5 kHz, do you think that the low-end of that range (800 Hz) conflicts at all with my subwoofer which the sub amp crossover is currently set around 90-100 Hz? Since from what I gather, there will be a range between 100 - 800 Hz that is filtered out and won't be audible?
The cutoff on that is a little high. I thought it said 80hz. I have a couple extra passive xovers from my components I'm not using I canc sell for cheap. I'll need to look up their parameters

OP
OP
long_meats

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
The cutoff on that is a little high. I thought it said 80hz. I have a couple extra passive xovers from my components I'm not using I canc sell for cheap. I'll need to look up their parameters
That would be very helpful, thanks!!!
Sponsored