lockednloaded

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR #17012
Country flag
So someone posted something I’m another thread that I found interesting enough to make a thread. They mentioned how there’s so many low miles used type r’s out there as if people are getting rid of the car after such a short period of time. But why?

The CTR isn’t known for major flaws or issues yet so It’s not that. Everyone who gets one seems to love it and think it drives amazing so I don’t think it’s a matter of people hating it and dumping it. I can see financial issues but could that many people be having financial issues that own one specific model vehicle?

Are people getting rid of them due to the fact they can essentially get their money back with the way the market for the CTR is right now? Just essentially chalk it up as getting to joy ride a CTR for a few months almost free?

Seems like a high number of used ones popping up compared to the fact they aren’t as mass produced as other car models(although, I wouldn’t call them limited edition exactly since we’re up at like 20k on the badges).

Am I overthinking this? What do you guys think about it.
Sponsored

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
So someone posted something I’m another thread that I found interesting enough to make a thread. They mentioned how there’s so many low miles used type r’s out there as if people are getting rid of the car after such a short period of time. But why?

The CTR isn’t known for major flaws or issues yet so It’s not that. Everyone who gets one seems to love it and think it drives amazing so I don’t think it’s a matter of people hating it and dumping it. I can see financial issues but could that many people be having financial issues that own one specific model vehicle?

Are people getting rid of them due to the fact they can essentially get their money back with the way the market for the CTR is right now? Just essentially chalk it up as getting to joy ride a CTR for a few months almost free?

Seems like a high number of used ones popping up compared to the fact they aren’t as mass produced as other car models(although, I wouldn’t call them limited edition exactly since we’re up at like 20k on the badges).

Am I overthinking this? What do you guys think about it.
I went to a Cars and Coffee event this morning, and I usually see a guy with his CW CTR. Today, he shows up with a new BMW M2. This is a guy who spent most of last year looking for the CTR and finally found one at MSRP. He went as far Louisiana to get it. I asked him why he got the BMW. Once he got the CTR, he realized that he enjoyed the search for the car more than he liked the car. He had about 9K on the odometer, and he sold it for MSRP. I suppose the good news is that as more used CTRs show up on the market, the pricing on the cars will start to normalize and those ridiculous sky high prices will be a thing of the past.

OP
OP

lockednloaded

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR #17012
Country flag
I went to a Cars and Coffee event this morning, and I usually see a guy with his CW CTR. Today, he shows up with a new BMW M2. This is a guy who spent most of last year looking for the CTR and finally found one at MSRP. He went as far Louisiana to get it. I asked him why he got the BMW. Once he got the CTR, he realized that he enjoyed the search for the car more than he liked the car. He had about 9K on the odometer, and he sold it for MSRP. I suppose the good news is that as more used CTRs show up on the market, the pricing on the cars will start to normalize and those ridiculous sky high prices will be a thing of the past.
I mean I wouldn’t mind my CTR’s depreciation staying to a minimum haha

OP
OP

lockednloaded

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR #17012
Country flag
So after a few months, the awe factor wears thin. Maybe I should avoid the whole experience.
Haha it was your post in the over MSRP thread that got me thinking on this. Idk man I feel like the awe factor decreases on ANY car you get. Obviously it never stays as exciting as it was at first. But I don’t see how people are going from LOVING the car and bragging how amazing it is in every way and then the awe factor wearing off so much that all that love and praise turns to nothing and you get rid of it completely. Doesn’t add up to me.

junktea1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR, Countryman
Country flag
I mean I wouldn’t mind my CTR’s depreciation staying to a minimum haha
As much as there is a demand, in Los Angeles, the dealers seem to be stockpiling the CTR and waiting for that big fish of a buyer. I told the salesperson the dealer's asking price was out of my range and he still calls me. All the sales people at 5+ dealers have called me after I repeatedly told them I wouldn't pay more than $40K OTD. I see a lot of used ones through private sales and second hand dealers.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
"A lot" meaning 300 or so nationwide? Out of ~7500 imported over 2 years in the US? That's not very many at all.

CTR has *a lot* of hype and the rich/dumb ones who are always chasing the latest and the greatest always have a lot of churn going on. I'm not worried about the used ones not moving. I'm actually fairly confident Honda isn't going to start importing 20k a year or whatever number that will finally overwhelm demand.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Its actually quite simple - the problem with used CTRs is the same as the new ones sitting on dealer's lots. The market of buyers willing to pay a premium on CTRs is about exhausted - they've all bought/found theirs, and the incremental market isn't tolerating the high asking prices. So inventory (new & used) will start building up until the sellers adjust to the new reality. The CTR is not really a truly limited production car, and there's easily 2 more years of the current generation that is yet to be built too.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Because the 2019s are coming

Pzb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Country flag
It’s called enjoy the car and make some money while doing it. I knew a guy who changed cars whenever possible. Buy and sell.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
The market of buyers willing to pay a premium on CTRs is about exhausted - they've all bought/found theirs, and the incremental market isn't tolerating the high asking prices.
I don't agree with. Buyers aren't paying $10k ADM anymore, but there are buyers willing to pay $5k ADM still.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I don't agree with. Buyers aren't paying $10k ADM anymore, but there are buyers willing to pay $5k ADM still.
Hardly enough of them to move all the inventory - but I suppose the dealers will continue hoping for that sucker to walk in the front door while the cars gather dust. Thing is there's a lot of dealers, so each may only have 1 in stock, and they don't mind sitting and waiting.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Hardly enough of them to move all the inventory - but I suppose the dealers will continue hoping for that sucker to walk in the front door while the cars gather dust. Thing is there's a lot of dealers, so each may only have 1 in stock, and they don't mind sitting and waiting.
At least here in Vegas. Each of the 4 dealers have $5k ADM, and they all sell.

John McClane

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
The dealer told me a guy bought one from them at msrp the went right to the auction with it and made money

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
lol, show me the slow moving new Type R stock. There are some outliers of 3-4 month old CTRs, but the bulk of them are well below 60 days old. Now look at STi's or RS. Those have an inventory problem - plenty in the 300+ day old category.

CTRs are selling just fine. You all are confusing what you would do versus what people are actually doing.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.