Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve recently noticed a faint engine smell... can’t tell if it’s oil, transmission or maybe a rubber hose getting too hot. I’ve smelled it intermittently in the cabin and it’s there in the engine bay if I lift the hood. Can’t pinpoint its origin.

Was going to install an oil catch can this weekend... but may hold off for now in case I need to take it for a warranty check.

Gave it a thorough inspection top and underneath and didn’t find any oil or transmission leaks. No melted hoses. Nothing out of the ordinary.

About my car, have 20k miles, I daily and normally shift within the 3.5k to 5k RPM range. performance mods are an Eventuri intake and Sequence Exhaust. Switched to Amsoil synchromesh transmission fluid a few weeks ago. Opened the check bolt and fluid level was good. Oil is genuine Honda 0-20W

Any ideas of what the issue might be?

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bru87tr

I had a smell come from my car recently, was just about due for an oil change. Wound up being a slow oil leak at the oil filter. Was fine till recently. I was glad it was something simple. So either the quick oil change place didn't tighten it enough or it was faulty. At first I thought the light stain on my driveway was ac drip, couple days later noticed it again and wasn't using ac. Realized the smell was a small oil leak at filter.