Sakilla

First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
Last night I found 3 (extremely) small dents on the driver side pillar. It was pretty difficult to find the right angle with my camera as it only appears in certain lighting. In person, they don't feel super deep but it's definitely triggering my OCD. I'm sure this is damage from the dealership because I've only had my car for a month and it's parked in the garage 90% of the time (I've also found some gashes on my rear passenger side wheel during my first wash).

So, my question is, how/where do I get this fixed?

Honda Civic 10th gen Weird dents on driver side pillar... image2
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Last night I found 3 (extremely) small dents on the driver side pillar. It was pretty difficult to find the right angle with my camera as it only appears in certain lighting. In person, they don't feel super deep but it's definitely triggering my OCD. I'm sure this is damage from the dealership because I've only had my car for a month and it's parked in the garage 90% of the time (I've also found some gashes on my rear passenger side wheel during my first wash).

So, my question is, how/where do I get this fixed?

image2.jpeg

You might consider just living with it ..

I know it should be Right -- it's a new car etc etc, but at least your NEXT ding will not be your 1st.. The 1st is always the most painful !!

At the moment, the "damage" is barely noticeable.

Chances are VERY HIGH if you let your dealer "attempt" to fix it, they will only make it worse ... you only have to read similar threads in this forum to see the horror stories about Dealers "trying" to fix cosmetic issues.

What I would advise you to do it to take it to a HIGH END Body Shop, and get some Free advice on to what they, as PROFESSIONALS could do to make it "as new", and what it would cost. Then decide if it is really worth it to spend that sort of money on your first very minor blemish.

Would not be the 1st time a dealer sold car in a "damaged" state, and did not point out that damage to the Buyer ( assuming the dealer even knew it was damaged).

You are ahead of the games if when you buy a new car from a Dealer, that the Tires are inflated to the correct pressure, and the wheel nuts are torqued correctly before you drive it off the lot (sigh)

My advice to anyone buying a car .. new or used. Take the time to fully inspect it .. even if you are not a mechanic, if you take at least an Hour, going over every physical part of the car, you should be able to find any cosmetic issue, and be aware of them, before the Negotiation Fiasco. Most dealers will resit this, they just want to rush you into signing ASAP, but until you do, you have the Upper Hand - you have control, and can always "WALK".
After you have signed and driven the Car off the Lot, then you are at the mercy of the Dealer to correct any issues that should have been addressed BEFORE the sale.

OP
OP

Sakilla

First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
You might consider just living with it ..

I know it should be Right -- it's a new car etc etc, but at least your NEXT ding will not be your 1st.. The 1st is always the most painful !!

At the moment, the "damage" is barely noticeable.

Chances are VERY HIGH if you let your dealer "attempt" to fix it, they will only make it worse ... you only have to read similar threads in this forum to see the horror stories about Dealers "trying" to fix cosmetic issues.

What I would advise you to do it to take it to a HIGH END Body Shop, and get some Free advice on to what they, as PROFESSIONALS could do to make it "as new", and what it would cost. Then decide if it is really worth it to spend that sort of money on your first very minor blemish.

Would not be the 1st time a dealer sold car in a "damaged" state, and did not point out that damage to the Buyer ( assuming the dealer even knew it was damaged).

You are ahead of the games if when you buy a new car from a Dealer, that the Tires are inflated to the correct pressure, and the wheel nuts are torqued correctly before you drive it off the lot (sigh)

My advice to anyone buying a car .. new or used. Take the time to fully inspect it .. even if you are not a mechanic, if you take at least an Hour, going over every physical part of the car, you should be able to find any cosmetic issue, and be aware of them, before the Negotiation Fiasco. Most dealers will resit this, they just want to rush you into signing ASAP, but until you do, you have the Upper Hand - you have control, and can always "WALK".
After you have signed and driven the Car off the Lot, then you are at the mercy of the Dealer to correct any issues that should have been addressed BEFORE the sale.
Looks like a lot of other owners are having this issue. These cars seem to have weaker metals that flex resulting in this. https://www.civicx.com/threads/dent-above-passenger-doors-accident-or-body-issue.3002/page-3

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I've owned mine 6 months. Learned to step back and look at the whole car. If you look up close your going to find imperfections. At first I noticed all the cosmetic issues too...lower windshield cowl doesn't attach to the fender on drivers side. Small dimples and drip marks in paint. Separating grille. Swirl marks, scratches, rock chips. Sloppy welding. If you open the door and look down next to the side mirror, you'll notice the molding is separated, leaving a hole down into the door. The sheet metal is uneven and does appear dented here and there. Gaps in panels you can stick a finger in, especially around the trunk. I don't know if this is all unique to Honda or if other brands have minor issues too. I owned a 2012 Cruze before this and it was a pile of crap, so even with all the Civic's issues it's still 10x better than the Cruze.

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I've owned mine 6 months. Learned to step back and look at the whole car. If you look up close your going to find imperfections. At first I noticed all the cosmetic issues too...lower windshield cowl doesn't attach to the fender on drivers side. Small dimples and drip marks in paint. Separating grille. Swirl marks, scratches, rock chips. Sloppy welding. If you open the door and look down next to the side mirror, you'll notice the molding is separated, leaving a hole down into the door. The sheet metal is uneven and does appear dented here and there. Gaps in panels you can stick a finger in, especially around the trunk. I don't know if this is all unique to Honda or if other brands have minor issues too. I owned a 2012 Cruze before this and it was a pile of crap, so even with all the Civic's issues it's still 10x better than the Cruze.
Thinner metal and a lot of plastic is what you end up with when the car manufacturer is keeping both production cost as low as possible, and fuel economy as high as possible.

20 years ago, the Honda Civic had metal panel that you really had to push hard on to get them to bend.
It seems that the current civics have such thin metal, that it only takes a little hot sun to warp them. Put any pressure on the panels, and they flex and bend like tissue paper.

You really get what you pay for, and have to accept that that is what you get these days for $25k -( a fun, lively, fuel efficient car, with lots of electronics and complex systems to go wrong !!)

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Thinner metal and a lot of plastic is what you end up with when the car manufacturer is keeping both production cost as low as possible, and fuel economy as high as possible.

20 years ago, the Honda Civic had metal panel that you really had to push hard on to get them to bend.
It seems that the current civics have such thin metal, that it only takes a little hot sun to warp them. Put any pressure on the panels, and they flex and bend like tissue paper.

You really get what you pay for, and have to accept that that is what you get these days for $25k -( a fun, lively, fuel efficient car, with lots of electronics and complex systems to go wrong !!)
I'm just glad I didn't spend more money on a car. I've been thinking about getting a new Accord, but after looking on their forums, I don't know. They have issues too, and the hoods aren't just thin on the Accord, they flutter when you drive. I don't notice that on the Civic. I'll probably keep this long term, plus I have $800 mods into it, including ceramic window tint. Plus, it's nice having a smaller car that can turn and fit in tight spaces.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm just glad I didn't spend more money on a car. I've been thinking about getting a new Accord, but after looking on their forums, I don't know. They have issues too, and the hoods aren't just thin on the Accord, they flutter when you drive. I don't notice that on the Civic. I'll probably keep this long term, plus I have $800 mods into it, including ceramic window tint. Plus, it's nice having a smaller car that can turn and fit in tight spaces.
Yes.. It helps to just remind yourself occasionally "It's only a car", and something that you will probably not spend that many years with.
There are far more important "Long Term" things in life to worry about than a car.
(Like a "30 Year Mortgage", or a "Life Threatening Medical Condition")
Sponsored