Weight reduction for the FK8

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
Anyone know the weight of the oem type r seat?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R; 14' AMG C63; 18' Toyota Avalon XLE
Country flag
38 lbs each.

Another instant contribution. I was wondering that myself. You're the man!

Would you, or anyone on here for that matter, happen to know the weight of the stock strut/spring setup?

Will, I believe you have JRZs...would you happen to know the weight difference between one of the coils compared to the stock setup?

Last edited:

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Another instant contribution. I was wondering that myself. Your the man!

Would you, or anyone on here for that matter, happen to know the weight of the stock strut/spring setup?

Will, I believe you have JRZs...would you happen to know the weight difference between one of the coils compared to the stock setup?
sorry that wasn't something that we weighed.

Deleted member 47337

OEM DP: 12.4 lbs
aFe DP: 6.2 lbs

OEM FP: 10.2 lbs
aFe FP: 7.8 lbs

OEM Front Rotor: 24.5 lbs
GiroDisc Front Rotor: 20.7 lbs

OEM Intercooler: 6.9 lbs
PRL Intercooler: 17.0 lbs

OEM Rim and Tire: 52.4 lbs
Enkei RSM9 19x9.5 +45 w/ 265-30-19 MPS4S: 46.6 lbs
So people here know....

Motegi MR145 Traklite 3, 18 x 8.5 +35mm Offset with Continental DWS 06 Plus 245/40/18

Total weight is 41.6 lbs. Lighter than anything I've seen on this forum.

Total cost $1500 out the door, mounted, balanced, wheels, tires, shipped, and taxed.

Most important and noticable upgrade.

Highway pulls are out of this world! The car feels like it has an additional 75 - 100hp.

Honda Civic 10th gen Weight reduction for the FK8 Type r

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 47337

Has anyone removed rear seats
Yes, I have and they aren't super heavy, but the bar/rail that runs through the inside/bottom of the seats is.

I will weight them tomorrow and get back to you, but I can tell you that I felt the difference when I had my stock wheels and tires. The car felt a tad bit more lighter around corners.

askro

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CR-V & 2017 Type R-00606
Country flag
Yes, I have and they aren't super heavy, but the bar/rail that runs through the inside/bottom of the seats is.

I will weight them tomorrow and get back to you, but I can tell you that I felt the difference when I had my stock wheels and tires. The car felt a tad bit more lighter around corners.
Sweet man you rock

Deleted member 47337

Sweet man you rock
Hey bud, I just weighted the rear seats.

I'm actually surprised...they have some serious weight when put all together.

- The rear seat bottom portion (where butt goes) is mostly foam with cloth.
Weight: 10.4 lbs
- The rear seat back portion (both left and right piece together)
Weight: 37 lbs
- The rear seat complete hardware together
Weight: 3.6 lbs

Total weight reduction: 51 lbs...it will be 49 - 51 lbs depending on how much of the hardware you remove.

That's a pretty significant amount of weight. I could actually tell that some weight had been shaved off when I immediately drove the car right after.

askro

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CR-V & 2017 Type R-00606
Country flag
Hey bud, I just weighted the rear seats.

I'm actually surprised...they have some serious weight when put all together.

- The rear seat bottom portion (where butt goes) is mostly foam with cloth.
Weight: 10.4 lbs
- The rear seat back portion (both left and right piece together)
Weight: 37 lbs
- The rear seat complete hardware together
Weight: 3.6 lbs

Total weight reduction: 51 lbs...it will be 49 - 51 lbs depending on how much of the hardware you remove.

That's a pretty significant amount of weight. I could actually tell that some weight had been shaved off when I immediately drove the car right after.
Thanks for the feedback brother, will definitely be removing the seats when the weather gets better. Need to find a spot to put them too lol!

Deleted member 47337

Thanks for the feedback brother, will definitely be removing the seats when the weather gets better. Need to find a spot to put them too lol!
No problem! Anytime!

You know, our cars are roughly 3120 lbs stock...removing 50 some-off pounds will drop us down to 3070 lbs. If you can remove 70 - 75lbs more by really light wheels and tires, you'll be in the high 2900s. That's INSANE for a car, especially these days.

To put it in perspective, a brand new 2020 or 2021 Lotus Evora GT, the most high performance car they make for the "ultimate", raw driving experience weights 3200 lbs. So, if your car can weight 2900 lbs or so, that's absoutely mind blowing.

hobbydad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 fk8
Country flag
I ran an XS S680 in an ā€˜18 Mustang GT for 3 years. The small batteries are great weight savers but you do have to keep an eye on them. In the GT I had to stop using the auto lighting (headlamps). If for instance you open the car and donā€™t start it for short amounts of time , it drained the battery fairly quickly. Some charging systems arenā€™t completely compatible with them either. The GT had to have a change added to its tune, to start charging at a lower voltage reading, if I remember correctly. Also as mentioned by others, keep them on a tender if you donā€™t drive it often, especially in colder weather.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
No problem! Anytime!

You know, our cars are roughly 3120 lbs stock...removing 50 some-off pounds will drop us down to 3070 lbs. If you can remove 70 - 75lbs more by really light wheels and tires, you'll be in the high 2900s. That's INSANE for a car, especially these days.

To put it in perspective, a brand new 2020 or 2021 Lotus Evora GT, the most high performance car they make for the "ultimate", raw driving experience weights 3200 lbs. So, if your car can weight 2900 lbs or so, that's absoutely mind blowing.
I think the Type TC weighs in around 2800-2900 pounds if memory serves.
Sponsored