Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is intended to be a weight reduction thread for the Type R. Let us try to put together from our experience and findings where there is weight to be saved in terms of: after market parts, removal of oem items etc. It can be a good way of looking at performance improvements not only to the overal weight but to the weight distribution. According to Jalopnik we have a weight distribution of front:61.8 - rear:38,2 which is not too bad but I beleive could be improved for even better track stability.
https://jalopnik.com/by-the-numbers-2017-honda-civic-type-r-vs-focus-rs-wr-1796140398
Having this said I would like to start adressing the weight in the front of the car. naturally FWD driven cars will have this challenge but I beleive there is improvements to make.
The Battery, this is a huge weight source, I would like to ask and hear if anyone has found a descent replace (lithium etc) for our stock battery and if anybody knows the weight of the stock battery? Not only would we share some total weight but we would improve the weight front/rear ratio as well ;)

Another thing I have notice is that some civic 10th generation have smaller stock battery than the FK8:
Honda Civic 10th gen Weight reduction for the FK8 2016-Honda-Civic-Engine-01

Honda Civic 10th gen Weight reduction for the FK8 2017-Honda-Civic-Type-R-engine

That could be one route to go?

Without making this a crazy "weight-wich-hunt" I would like to contribute with the weight of the standard manual + casing:
Honda Civic 10th gen Weight reduction for the FK8 img_2126-

Leave it at home and save 1.7kg (3,77 lbs):lol:
Please continue to fill in and share what you have done to reduce weight (what weight did you save):
Exhaust (DP, FP, CB)
Intake
Rear seat removal?
Rims?
CF parts
etc...

Half tank, low wiper fluid does not count :)

Finnaly if this thread should be placed somewhere else please let me know or move it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Rotational mass, rotors, wheels/tire combo, clutch, not sure of weight of the flywheel, and haven't seen any aftermarket ones either, pulleys. Like you said, exhaust parts, DP, FP and exhaust. Titanium weight savings over SS. Speakers, subs, sound deadening,

iforyou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda S2000, 2007 Acura RDX
Country flag
I need to lose some weight myself...used to be 150lb and now im close to 200lb.

Joke aside, my friend and I co-own an EK hatch for track days and what we did was gutted out its interior, including rear seats, carpets, door panels, pretty much down to bare metals with exposed wires. Also replaced the driver's seat with a lighter bucket seat. This is probably not quite feasible for our CTR especially if it's a DD too.

I think changing the rims would help a lot. Stock rims are 28lb each. Get the ones that are 18lb each and you would save a lot, especially that's unsprung weight too.

Exhaust and downpipe will probably help quite a bit.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You could definitely go with a lighter battery. You could stay lead acid... I think the Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are supposed to come in being pretty light and I read they had very long life. Added expense if course, but they could start to replace flooded lead acid and VRLA batteries eventually in car applications, with the notion they'd last 2-3 times as long.

By going lighter you need to size to have the same cranking amps and know you're giving up reserve capacity. You'd want to likely get a smaller tray to place in your existing one, though the current support oughta be fine, as long as it keeps it secure.

OP
OP
wassen

wassen

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will still use mine as DD so I wont be gutting here completely out. Will most likely do new rims (18"), Dp, Front pipe.
Came to think about the standard jack in the trunk, since we dont have spare tyres why not remove the jack =)
If anyone has made any uppgrades and meassured the weight loss please write.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Easiest and most cost effective weight reduction is downsizing to 18” wheels as mentioned previously.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OEM DP: 12.4 lbs
aFe DP: 6.2 lbs

OEM FP: 10.2 lbs
aFe FP: 7.8 lbs

OEM Front Rotor: 24.5 lbs
GiroDisc Front Rotor: 20.7 lbs

OEM Intercooler: 6.9 lbs
PRL Intercooler: 17.0 lbs

OEM Rim and Tire: 52.4 lbs
Enkei RSM9 19x9.5 +45 w/ 265-30-19 MPS4S: 46.6 lbs

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Without making this a crazy "weight-wich-hunt" I would like to contribute with the weight of the standard manual + casing:
img_2126-jpg.jpg

What the heck? Where'd you get that nice Type R owner's manual cover? My dealership just tucked all my materials in a crappy generic plastic dealership pouch.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What the heck? Where'd you get that nice Type R owner's manual cover? My dealership just tucked all my materials in a crappy generic plastic dealership pouch.
Because they kept the nice one, gave you the crappy one....You know, I haven't even looked to see what I have.

OP
OP
wassen

wassen

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got it like that from the dealer =)

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Got it like that from the dealer =)
I wonder if only Honda Europe included that. I can't find it online and it doesn't seem like anyone else in this thread that has a North American CTR is saying they got one, either.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
This is intended to be a weight reduction thread for the Type R. Let us try to put together from our experience and findings where there is weight to be saved in terms of: after market parts, removal of oem items etc. It can be a good way of looking at performance improvements not only to the overal weight but to the weight distribution. According to Jalopnik we have a weight distribution of front:61.8 - rear:38,2 which is not too bad but I beleive could be improved for even better track stability.
https://jalopnik.com/by-the-numbers-2017-honda-civic-type-r-vs-focus-rs-wr-1796140398
Having this said I would like to start adressing the weight in the front of the car. naturally FWD driven cars will have this challenge but I beleive there is improvements to make.
The Battery, this is a huge weight source, I would like to ask and hear if anyone has found a descent replace (lithium etc) for our stock battery and if anybody knows the weight of the stock battery? Not only would we share some total weight but we would improve the weight front/rear ratio as well ;)

Another thing I have notice is that some civic 10th generation have smaller stock battery than the FK8:
Honda Civic 10th gen Weight reduction for the FK8 2016-Honda-Civic-Engine-01

2017-Honda-Civic-Type-R-engine.jpg

That could be one route to go?

img_2126-jpg.jpg

Please continue to fill in and share what you have done to reduce weight (what weight did you save):
Exhaust (DP, FP, CB)
Intake
Rear seat removal?
Rims?
CF parts
etc...

Half tank, low wiper fluid does not count :)

Finnaly if this thread should be placed somewhere else please let me know or move it.

I will test fit soon, my wife’s CR-V battery holder, which looks exactly the same as the pic you mentioned. I bought my second light weight battery and could not be happier. I think the CTR battery is around 45 lbs. :thumbsup:

Here is my weight watcher approach:

Lightweight battery 17 lbs.

CTR oem battery 45 lbs. ??

Honda Civic 10th gen Weight reduction for the FK8 42880A6C-777F-4999-ACD1-0DA18951118A

Eliminating…………..28 lbs.

OEM rims + tires. 52.4 lbs

New set:

RPF1 + DWS 06. 42 lbs

Eliminating………….40 lbs.

Does it count drive the car with just half tank of gas? 48 lbs :D

All season trunk rubber mat, weight? 5 lbs?

Owner’s book 3lbs.

All season rubber mats 13l lbs?

Repair tire kit? 8 lbs?

Considering removing one resonator of the exhaust system. This, while is oriented to find another sound, I’m sure it weights at least 2 lbs.

Aproximately: 144 lbs. of weight reduction, I think.

Last edited:

Meat Hammer

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP Civic Type R #1464
Country flag
I will test fit soon, my wife’s CR-V battery holder, which looks exactly the same as the pic you mentioned. I bought my second light weight battery and could not be happier. I think the CTR battery is around 45 lbs. :thumbsup:

Here is my weight watcher approach:

Lightweight battery 17 lbs.

CTR oem battery 45 lbs. ??

Eliminating…………..28 lbs.

OEM rims + tires. 52.4 lbs

New set:

RPF1 & DWS 06. 42 lbs

Eliminating………….10 lbs.

Does it count drive the car with just half tank of gas? 48 lbs :D

All season trunk rubber mat, weight? 5 lbs?

Owner’s book 3lbs.

All season rubber mats 13l lbs?

Repair tire kit? 8 lbs?

Considering removing one resonator of the exhaust system. This, while is oriented to find another sound, I’m sure it weights at least 2 lbs.

Aproximately: 114 lbs. of weight reduction, I think.
If your calculations are correct, you are darn close to being under 3,000 pounds (official curb weight is 3,117 lbs). I'd love to slim my daily-driven Type R down to a curb weight beginning with "2" instead of "3".

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
Due to weight I never understood why they put on a rear wiper (motor, wiper, arm, electric cables, hose for fluid).
The wiper is just a sand/dust collector which will make marks on window when used anyway.
Sponsored