Ways to add a little performance without tuning?

maynard001

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 2000 Honda Accord Manual LX
Country flag
Just curious. I'm scared of tuning my 2-year old car before the warranty expires...but I'd like to get a little more performance out of my stock 1.5ext. Will 91 octane give me a little boost over the standard 87? Is a KN filter worth $50?

I drove a manual for 18 years and just got tired of shifting in traffic. My two main concerns about tuning is possibly voiding my warranty, and damage to my CVT. Just wondering if there's other stuff i can do to make the fun button a little more fun?
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PRL stage 1 is a green filter (like a K&N... though they aren't over-molded into the element) and were dynoed to show a 4-9 whp gain. Pretty inexpensive. Enhanced intake sound a bit.

Just a data point at a quantifiable gain for a similar filter w/some subjective first hand experience.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/prl-motorsports-project-snow-white.12424/#post-227228

See post #6. You could probably source the specific filter minus the silicone hose which were a little ill fitting to me (a smidge short that made fitment imperfect). Still... it shows that a an oiled cotton gauze-style filter appears to be a gain. Short ram intakes will greatly enhance sound at the expense of power from heat soak if the car is let it sit still. Cold air intakes will improve power and sound over a drop-in a bit, but with their own drawbacks. At least so far as the Si is concerned, I think the stock air box is designed pretty decent though it is a bit different from the other trims.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I think your best best is still a tune. You have to understand that you can tune things like throttle response, faster ramp and early turbo spooling while keeping the boost at near stock if you want. This will transform the driveability of your car without effecting reliability.

An intake is basically more for show and sound than real driveability improvement. Raising the octane with the stock tune may give you a minimal boost in mpg and that's about it.

If you're really timid about power mods and possible problems, I recommend modding out your car's handling with better tires and a larger rear sway bar to start.

OP
OP
maynard001

maynard001

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 2000 Honda Accord Manual LX
Country flag
Honestly, I think your best best is still a tune. You have to understand that you can tune things like throttle response, faster ramp and early turbo spooling while keeping the boost at near stock if you want. This will transform the driveability of your car without effecting reliability.

An intake is basically more for show and sound than real driveability improvement. Raising the octane with the stock tune may give you a minimal boost in mpg and that's about it.

If you're really timid about power mods and possible problems, I recommend modding out your car's handling with better tires and a larger rear sway bar to start.
Thanks. That makes sense I guess. Just because I get a ktuner doesn't mean I have to go insane with the psi. I'm not going to be racing. It's my daily driver. I'm just looking to unclick the ECON button at lights and zoom up to 50mph when there's no traffic.

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
Thanks. That makes sense I guess. Just because I get a ktuner doesn't mean I have to go insane with the psi. I'm not going to be racing. It's my daily driver. I'm just looking to unclick the ECON button at lights and zoom up to 50mph when there's no traffic.
You should be unclicking the econ and putting the car is Sport mode.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Besides tuning, upgrade the front pipe. It’s very easy to swap out and will give you some gains in power. It won’t effect emissions or change the sound of the exhaust in a noticeable way either.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Tires, brake pad and do some trackday ;)

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
That’s what I was getting at. I don’t think that “S” on the shift refers to sport mode. At least that’s what I heard a few times. I could be wrong about this though

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
That’s what I was getting at. I don’t think that “S” on the shift refers to sport mode. At least that’s what I heard a few times. I could be wrong about this though
It does. Sport mode in non Si models is increased rpm and engine braking it doesn't effect the suspension like the Si sport mode.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Assuming you're not going to tune it as you mentioned:

+ Turn off ECON mode
+ 91 octane gives a little more power
+ Better tires when it's time to change the stock ones
+ Add a front strut tower bar
+ Upgrade rear sway bar (from Progress or CTR will work)
Sponsored

Last edited: