Water in Intake Advice

michiflores

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi everyone! Just seeking some general advice here.

I just drove my car in about a foot of water to get to my parents house. It turned off on its own and will no longer start. I have an Injen cold air intake, the air filter is wet.
It always floods there (Houston), I’ve always driven the car through the water, I’m not sure why today was different.
The car has full coverage, but is there any way we can salvage the car?

I did not get any water inside the vehicle. It seems like just the air filter got wet.

Here’s the deal, I’m in a bit of a financial situation. Recently quit my job to take care of my dad while he recovered from surgery. My bf is being very helpful and helping with my expenses but the car was definitely gonna be hard to pay, but I need the car to get around.

Should we even try and salvage the car or just go ahead and call the insurance to come and look at the car.

Thanks!
Sponsored

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
When water stops a car, the results could be catastrophic. Have it towed to a trusted mechanic and have the condition diagnosed. Maybe, just maybe it could just be "dried out". And stop trying to crank the car.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Take off the intake and try to reinstall the stock box first...I hydrolocked. Had it towed to dealer. They eventually restarted it, but something was wrong with the engine. And my insurance totaled it. Significant water got into car as well, but the big thing was the engine. They basically heard that and didn’t want to touch it again. I didn’t get any push back from dealer or insurance on aftermarket parts...this was over 10 years ago. But still would try to remove the intake.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
oof, that sounds terminal for the engine. Did it make any weird noises when it shut off in the water?

OP
OP
michiflores

michiflores

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks everyone. My know it all dad removed the intake and cranked the car. It made a weird gurgling noise, tried to turn on but turned right back off. We’re gonna let it air dry for 2 days and try again. If it doesn’t turn back on then we’re gonna call the insurance.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
Thanks everyone. My know it all dad removed the intake and cranked the car. It made a weird gurgling noise, tried to turn on but turned right back off. We’re gonna let it air dry for 2 days and try again. If it doesn’t turn back on then we’re gonna call the insurance.
That was a really bad idea if the spark plugs were not removes

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Hydro-locked means complete rebuild/teardown unfortunately. There really is no way around it. Sure, band-aids will get the engine running but it won't last.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
A foot of water shouldn't be enough to hydrolock the car unless you were driving through completely submerged at WOT. You may have simply wetted the MAF sensor.

Remove the plugs and inspect for water in the cylinders. If dry, you should be okay. But might be worth inspecting inside the FMIC as well.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Are these 1.5's interference motors? Bc if there was enough water in the cylinders while trying to crank over...well there goes some valves.
Definitely should of taken the plugs out, looked in the cylinders to see if there is water in them, then crank it over a few times with no compression to hopefully mist the water out of the plug holes

Last edited:

IheartEg6

First Name
Torrez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic race car 2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Pull the spark plugs and leave the plug holes open. Crank the car see if it will turn over. See if you can see any mist coming from the spark plug holes. If you see mist could be water and or fuel but let the motor push it up and out if water is on top of your pistons. I would do that between 2-4 times then put everything back together and try to crank it to see if it starts. Good luck!!! I feel you pain with Houston roads and weather that is were I was born!!!

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
uhh this is why you dont put a cold air intake in your car if you live in houston. that was quite the fail. now your engine is fucked.

edit* what insurance company covers engine damage? im confused

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
How does insurance cover "Hydrolock"?
Cold Air Intake for sound, Hydrolock priceless.

By the way, there isn't any way for the water to get in on a stock set-up - unless you were flash flooded by a 4ft wall of water. That is not warranteed either.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...at this point... break connections loose that you can between the intake path. The lower the better... intercooler hard pipes would be best. You don't have to really pull anything apart, just create a gap enough for water to come out until it's done.
Hopefully if there's much water, it'll be in that portion.
Reassemble. Realize without a larger teardown, there'll be residual water left in the intercooler. You could forgo this.... but I'd personally get what I could out before turning your engine into a water pump.

That should get rid of excess. Pull your plugs as stated before. You can look in the chambers but... water or not, it doesn't really matter. Turn over the car. Keep turning it over until no water leaves anymore. You're going to be using your engine as a pump but since the plug holes are open, there's an escape path so no damage/further damage will occur. Install plugs. Start. Let idle (if it will... cross fingers). Do not rev the engine at all until you see there is no longer white smoke (this will be any residual water leaving) coming from the exhaust. Let it come up to temperature and do it's thing... slowly pulling any remaining water through and steaming it off but with just the idle vacuum.

Oil change. Assume there's residual water in your oil. Just assume it and get the change done.

Compression test. Optional... but if the car seems off at all, it'll let you know if something (rod bend, valve bend) has occurred.

Ditch the CAI. They're great unless you live in a location you shouldn't have one. Sounds like you shouldn't have one.

The alternative it to take it in and spend a decent amount of money if the cars ok... or an ass wack of money if it's not. Hydrolock doesn't automatically equal engine damage. Been there... done that. That's why I don't run CAIs on DDs anymore. Only toys that wouldn't be taken out to play in bad weather anyways.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
How does insurance cover "Hydrolock"?
Cold Air Intake for sound, Hydrolock priceless.

By the way, there isn't any way for the water to get in on a stock set-up - unless you were flash flooded by a 4ft wall of water. That is not warranteed either.
Speaking from experience, it would be covered under a comprehensive insurance claim.

Last edited:

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
27 won CAI should clearly be purchased by anyone that has a 10th gen civic in the Houston area, they are unable to hydrolock. sorry for your issues, hopefully you are able to resolve this issue soon.
Sponsored