Zohan

First Name
Zohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
Hello everyone, recently I bought civic 2016 ex 2.0l. Because it was second hand car, I decided to make full service, checked and changed oils and fluids. When it came to transmission fluid change “dealer” forced me to buy strainer assy https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genui...-5t0-003.html?Vin=2HGFC2F78GH554119&Filter=() and oil pan gasket - https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-OEM-TRANSMISSION-PAN-GASKET-21814-5T0-000-/192519649167
I have 30.000 miles on my car, when I bought it. Strainer assy costs me 70$. Should it be changed or not? Also master said there is no need to change this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Honda-Auto-Transmission-Filter-25450-P4V-013-/401546305446
Was he right or I was fooled and they took extra money from me? I live in Georgia, there are different kind of dealers, always trying to take extra money from you for nothing, it was my first experience. As I said I wanna know was I fooled or not and should those things need to be changed?
Sponsored

2017touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring (Black on Black); 2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
If they used all those parts as promised, I see nothing wrong with preventative maintenance.

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First, a dealer can't "force" you to buy anything. Second, as dude above me said, there's nothing wrong with preventative maintenance. Better than not doing it and then needing more repairs down the line.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Hmmm I would’ve changed those those things every other transmission fluid change. But since it’s a used car you don’t know if previous owner was rough with it so they might’ve caused extra wear and tear so replacing strainer and filter was good idea imo.
Sure you spent extra money but peace of mind is worth it

OP
OP

Zohan

First Name
Zohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
Hmmm I would’ve changed those those things every other transmission fluid change. But since it’s a used car you don’t know if previous owner was rough with it so they might’ve caused extra wear and tear so replacing strainer and filter was good idea imo.
The thing is, i couldn’t find information about strainer assy and oil gasket in this forum and on YouTube, no one ever changed it, that’s why I thought that those things shouldn’t be changed.

OP
OP

Zohan

First Name
Zohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
First, a dealer can't "force" you to buy anything. Second, as dude above me said, there's nothing wrong with preventative maintenance. Better than not doing it and then needing more repairs down the line.
As I said earlier I couldn’t find anything about those things in this forum and YouTube. There are plenty of videos on YouTube how to change transmission fluid and no one have changed strainer assy, this is why I was curious.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
The thing is, i couldn’t find information about strainer assy and oil gasket in this forum and on YouTube, no one ever changed it, that’s why I thought that those things shouldn’t be changed.
It’s pretty standard on all cars to have trans filters/strainers. The strainer does most of the filtering which is why it has priority when changing. Most people don’t change it cause its pretty hard to get to. Plus it’s considered lifetime by Honda but maybe that’s why they’re known for weak transmissions! I’d personally change it every other transmission flush or 100,000 miles. Here’s a video on a truck

Last edited:
OP
OP

Zohan

First Name
Zohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
It’s pretty standard on all cars to have trans filters/strainers. The strainer does most of the filtering which is why it has priority when changing. Most people don’t change it cause its pretty hard to get to. Plus it’s considered lifetime by Honda but maybe that’s why they’re known for weak transmissions! I’d personally change it every other transmission flush or 100,000 miles. Here’s a video on a truck
I got it, thanks mate, since I’ve changed it on 30000miles then next time I’ll do it on 130000miles.

OP
OP

Zohan

First Name
Zohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
Yeah, exactly:)
Sponsored