Warm start grinding noise news!!!!!FIX

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
On mine, the sound went away for about a month. It's been 6 months now and the noise is almost back to how it was before the fix. From my perspective, the valve body is the symptom of something else going on within the CVT.

The jerkiness is also back, and power loss seems worse than it ever was. I'm really disappointed.
This is balderdash. I'm wondering now if this applies to my 17 hatch. It is a warm grind, and never cold? I hear a bizz but not sure if it is a grind. Whats the difference.

Good news, mine ends with HU22xxxx, just outside of the "ending in" HU210272
Sponsored

Last edited:

Renbismarck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-l
Country flag
What did you tell them in terms of how to replicate it?

In my case, I told him, drive for 7 miles and wait for 1.5 hours before starting it up again because that's how I replicated it every single time.
I did not tell to drive certain miles. I dont know the exact distance. Just now I checked my usual route, from home to school to office is 2 miles per trip. work for around 3 hours then start the car to pickup by 1130.

I am able to reproduce mine as long as the engine is warm enough , wait for somewhere around 1 hour then start again.

TedBCivicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
I just picked up my car for two issues and 1 of it is this.

I have the TSB with me, and video. They had my car for 1 day. They said they were not able to reproduce and not sure on what is causing it.

They have told me to drive more miles and if it get worse, bring it back... in short.. they did not recognize it with my video + TSB. :what:

Any advise guys? Thanks!
Yep... Drive it back, park your car, walk around for 5 minutes, get a manager and tech to walk over to your car and start it, it should make the noise... Mine always did it anything under 15 minutes from the last time I started it

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
You guys don't know just how good I feel right now, my VIN is outside the range of this TSB and the difference is literally i digit, 21 to 22.

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
I did not tell to drive certain miles. I dont know the exact distance. Just now I checked my usual route, from home to school to office is 2 miles per trip. work for around 3 hours then start the car to pickup by 1130.

I am able to reproduce mine as long as the engine is warm enough , wait for somewhere around 1 hour then start again.
Which dealer did you go to? Look up youtube video that have the noise recorded. Also I think there are various member including me were able to get the dealer to fix it without much fuss. You just have to be firm with them like "I wont service my car here and move to different dealer". I'm sure there are plenty of Honda dealer in Orange County/LA county would like to have your car serviced.

Renbismarck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-l
Country flag
Which dealer did you go to? Look up youtube video that have the noise recorded. Also I think there are various member including me were able to get the dealer to fix it without much fuss. You just have to be firm with them like "I wont service my car here and move to different dealer". I'm sure there are plenty of Honda dealer in Orange County/LA county would like to have your car serviced.
Norm Reeves Irvine.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like this fix provides a free CVT fluid change so it's worth a shot getting it fixed.
MAke sure they do the PGMFI TSB as well. They didnt do it on mine and I had the turbo surge lag issue after I had the valve body done

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
MAke sure they do the PGMFI TSB as well. They didnt do it on mine and I had the turbo surge lag issue after I had the valve body done
I didn't hear about any PGMFI tsb.

They performed the TSB for the valve and I immediately got a load of errors. I drove it back in and they replaced a connector and also did a separate update for the TCM and PCM to ensure compatibility with the new valve body. Is the tcm/pcm update what you're referring to?

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didn't hear about any PGMFI tsb.

They performed the TSB for the valve and I immediately got a load of errors. I drove it back in and they replaced a connector and also did a separate update for the TCM and PCM to ensure compatibility with the new valve body. Is the tcm/pcm update what you're referring to?
I listened to my voicemail again. He clearly says and Ill quote his exact words "PGMFI Software update that is for CVT engagement and the update did not become available until late March and has not been done on your car" He also stated it was for a specific set of VINs and not all 2016 CVTs will get it

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
I listened to my voicemail again. He clearly says and Ill quote his exact words "PGMFI Software update that is for CVT engagement and the update did not become available until late March and has not been done on your car" He also stated it was for a specific set of VINs and not all 2016 CVTs will get it
Hmm, is this pgmfi on one of the fourms? Haven't heard of this one yet

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag