Warm start grinding noise news!!!!!FIX

gen10_civics_ig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
It could possibly be the warmer weather but I've also noticed that whenever I put my car in sport mode and push on the gas it takes way longer to get the rpm's to go up, feels like I have to slam on the gas to force it to even go to 4500-5000 rpms and even then its still hard to get it higher. Also it doesn't seem to have have the artificial cvt gear shifting like it did before (it would go to roughly 5800-6000 rpms then drop to about 4800 then repeat). Is your engine rpm revving up slower?
Actually now that its a hot houston summer, Ive begun to notice a little more sluggishness when the temps get to the mid 90s and higher. But overall still drives better with the TSB work done than without.
Sponsored

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Actually now that its a hot houston summer, Ive begun to notice a little more sluggishness when the temps get to the mid 90s and higher. But overall still drives better with the TSB work done than without.
i'm in htown too. i didn't take delivery until June so it was already muggy and thus the car broke in like that. not with the slug but with the factory fill oil in muggy weather. i heard this car struggles in the cold so glad it's warm here 7 out of 12 months. The FF is stout so no issues yet with 3k on the clock. maybe a factory anomaly?

Last edited:

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
i'm in htown too. i didn't take delivery until June so it was already muggy and thus the car broke in like that. not with the slug but with the factory fill oil in muggy weather. i heard this car struggles in the cold so glad it's warm here 7 out of 12 months. The FF is stout so no issues yet with 3k on the clock. maybe a factory anomaly?
Keep an eye on that FF oil, it shears and dilutes really easy. Once it starts getting watery and oil level creeps up - change it, it's likely below the grade.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Keep an eye on that FF oil, it shears and dilutes really easy. Once it starts getting watery and oil level creeps up - change it, it's likely below the grade.
I just did, I got 3500 miles on the clock and I just tried to open the hood to check. Got too dark out and will check tomorrow morning. And when I change the oil, I will use the same 0w-20 SS that it came with so I can mimic the FF formula to extend the break-in process!

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I just did, I got 3500 miles on the clock and I just tried to open the hood to check. Got too dark out and will check tomorrow morning. And when I change the oil, I will use the same 0w-20 SS that it came with so I can mimic the FF formula to extend the break-in process!
Not sure if SS means Signature Series by Amsoil, but if it does than it's nor really same oil as your factory fill. It is significantly higher in Ca but lower in Molybdenum compared to Factory Fill oil. If I recall correctly closet to FF oil in terms of Moly ppm would be QSUD 0w20. Just FYI

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if SS means Signature Series by Amsoil, but if it does than it's nor really same oil as your factory fill. It is significantly higher in Ca but lower in Molybdenum compared to Factory Fill oil. If I recall correctly closet to FF oil in terms of Moly ppm would be QSUD 0w20. Just FYI
SS=Semi Syn. Wouldn't the Honda semi-syn be the closest to FF? Familiar with the QSUD since that is what I used in my prev DD.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
SS=Semi Syn. Wouldn't the Honda semi-syn be the closest to FF? Familiar with the QSUD since that is what I used in my prev DD.
Well, it you ask me, there's absolutely no point of using synthetic blend oil attempting to mimic the factory fill. The only difference in the oil that was put in the car at the factory is Molybdenum, ppm and it comes from the lube used to build the motor. Given the fact is engine is turbocharged and oil is being exposed to greatly higher temperatures compared to NA engine, you'd probably want to use oil that is less prone to shearing. There's a great variety of the synthetic oils out there, most of them are not 100% synthetic using Group III hydrocracked oils as a base with different detergent package (vast majority of the oils in the stores with exception of Mobil 1 EP that has up to 60% of POA which is a synthetic base). Some oils (like Amsoil SS, Motul, Liqui Moly etc) are POA based and are real synthetic oils. They are slightly more expensive and some of them are not certified by API. Supposedly they are more robust and fit better for turbocharged application due to stronger base and better additive packages (this statement is a pure speculation though unless supported by Used Oil Analysis). But really what I was trying to say is that it's really up to you what oil to choose, but IMO it is worth going synthetic, 100% would be even better. I currently use Amsoil SS 0w20. 3500 on the oil and no signs of neither shearing or fuel dilution. Hope this helps. Cheers

P.S. let's not make this tread another oil tread. lol

First_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EXL Lunar SIlver
Country flag
Do I need to have a recall to get the grinding noise fix? Or do I just show up to my local Honda dealer.

joserevelo

J Revelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
idk about you guys but in this SoCal heat the grinding is louder than ever..... damn this sucks lmfao brand new car starts up worse than my old ass mitsubishi montero 99'

PlanetCivic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic Ex-t
A month in after the fix my car had that problem and it got very jerky I was annoyed but maybe week later everything went back to normal and I haven't had any problems yet I'm crossing my finger nothing happens
So your car had the same problem with not revving up like it should? And could you possibly make a video of your tachometer as you accelerate?

VIto416

I ♥️ Honda
First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So your car had the same problem with not revving up like it should? And could you possibly make a video of your tachometer as you accelerate?
I'll try to make a video tonight on the way home

touring420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WOP Touring.. 2003 Civic DX (for sale btw)
Country flag
Well it finally happened on my 16 touring, 45000kms as of yesterday. So far I've had the turbo surging issue, fuel door actuator replaced and now this. Definitely going to be purchasing a extended warranty shortly. But I might just dump it before the warranty expires at 60k.

TruthVandetta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Me too after fixing my car after recall so far so good... only thing im worried about is that it might do it again later down the road.
Sponsored