Want to replace wheels on new 2016 Civic LX but dealership say it voids my warranty?

tcarson84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport
I forget what it's called but there is some kind of law about this. Pretty much they have to prove that the wheels caused the problem. I know this from a Harley forum I am on. Also as long as you keep records you can get the car serviced anywhere and then have warranty work done by the dealer. So if you threw your old wheels back on they would never know. I hate hubcaps on a car, but you could put snow tires on them just to have for the winter if you live some place that is needed. When I was looking I specifically said show me the models without hubcaps I absolutely won't take one with them. But that's because I was leasing and don't want to put parts on a car I might turn in in 3 years. If you can find some off an ex they prob would t even realize u switched them out
Sponsored

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Little off subject.. But i took my wifes sport wheels off of her accord and was a little surprised at the enkei emblem on the inside..

Back on subject... Make sure your not buying knock-offs of aftermarket wheels..

RallyeRedHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I forget what it's called but there is some kind of law about this. Pretty much they have to prove that the wheels caused the problem. I know this from a Harley forum I am on. Also as long as you keep records you can get the car serviced anywhere and then have warranty work done by the dealer. So if you threw your old wheels back on they would never know. I hate hubcaps on a car, but you could put snow tires on them just to have for the winter if you live some place that is needed. When I was looking I specifically said show me the models without hubcaps I absolutely won't take one with them. But that's because I was leasing and don't want to put parts on a car I might turn in in 3 years. If you can find some off an ex they prob would t even realize u switched them out

It's the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically states you can put whatever brand of part, as long as it is similar in function, without any loss of warranty. Unless there is a warranty claim and manufacturer or dealer find the fault was directly caused by the aftermarket part (ford Powerstrokes a few years ago had blown head gasket issues and a TSB was issued, 98% of the affected had Bullydog or some type of chip overboosting the engine. This would void the warranty work for the head gasket).

If your service department says they will void your warranty because you put a set of aftermarket wheels on the car, ask the Service manager for that in writing with his name and contact info and send it to Honda HQ in North America. Then find another dealer to deal with. A local Subaru dealership got into trouble for that same thing with a BRZ.

I had some warranty work done on a Supercharged Rocket Bunny FRS by Toyota North America (Direct Injection pump was bad, causing a cricket chirp with gasoline containing 15% Ethanol)...the dealer only asked if they could use pictures in some advertising in exchange for free oil changes!

With that being said, when you look for wheel and tire combos, use one of the many Calculators on the internet to find the correct specs for upsizing. https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp has a real good one.

Last edited:

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
Tell the dealer that your going to report them for fraud. Because, I know dang good and well they are selling larger than stock HFP wheels there, so they are purposefully voiding people's warranties.

I'm joking, they're FOS.

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recently purchased a new 2016 civic LX model but Im starting to regret not getting the EX because of the hub cap it comes with. I want to replace my wheels but the dealership says it will void any warranty coverage on the suspension unless they are Honda Genuine wheels. Anyone been in this situation before?
Lol....Thats a bunch of :bs:I changed my wheels on my EXT no problems with dealership
Sponsored