Want to replace wheels on new 2016 Civic LX but dealership say it voids my warranty?

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Si and 2016 Civic LX Coupe (6spd)
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer is full of shit.

They want you to buy upgrade wheels at a insane price at their dealership
And id be willing to bet the upgraded wheels from Honda weigh more than the stock wheels.. Hahaha
In my experience the hub size is more important than the weight, most well made aftermarket wheels are close enough in weight not to make a difference... Hub size and offset are the important factors
Sponsored

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In my mind a wheel / tire combo that weighs more than OEM should void the warranty!
Why? I guess tinting the Windows should too.. After all now the Windows are heavier and the motors have to work harder... I guess if you weigh more than 250 lbs your car should be out of warranty as soon as you drive off the lot....

Last edited:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Why? I guess tinting the Windows should too.. After all now the Windows are heavier and the motors have to work harder... I guess if you weigh more than 250 lbs your car should be out of warranty as soon as you drive off the lot....
Why? Think about why.. because they weight more and put more stress on you're wheel bearings..

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Why? Think about why.. because they weight more and put more stress on you're wheel bearings..
Think about what you just said: The wheels (that are resting on the ground) are putting stress on the wheel bearings (that support the weight of the car). The weight of the wheels could affect things like the transmission or CV joints via unsprung weight.

Also, I am not the wheel bearing.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Think about what you just said: The wheels (that are resting on the ground) are putting stress on the wheel bearings (that support the weight of the car). The weight of the wheels could affect things like the transmission or CV joints via unsprung weight.

Also, I am not the wheel bearing.
True, but think about what a higher weight wheel would do when cornering on a wheel bearing..

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
True, but think about what a higher weight wheel would do when cornering on a wheel bearing..
From a physics point of view, Increased wheel weight will have no effect on the bearings. You have to remember that the wheels are supporting the weight of the car, not the other way around.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just bought wheels on Tire Rack. They are 17lbs each vs. 22 lbs for factory. So less weight.

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought wheels on Tire Rack. They are 17lbs each vs. 22 lbs for factory. So less weight.
That will hurt the wheel bearings, less weight in the wheels/tires will cause the bearings to overcompensate resulting in serious damage...Hahah jk

Sparkeyoo7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you are going to buy wheels don't hesitate get them as long you stay within specs there is no problem your dealer is trying to pull a fast one as they will obviously would want you to buy them at the dealer to make a hefty profit I would take my business elsewhere and tell them to go to he'll..

mcartolano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Lunar Silver Metallic
I have a novel idea. Why not be satisfied with what you originally bought and not worry about voiding a warranty? We all have second thoughts about what we bought but then with time we grow to be satisfied. Just a thought. Good luck!

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a novel idea. Why not be satisfied with what you originally bought and not worry about voiding a warranty? We all have second thoughts about what we bought but then with time we grow to be satisfied. Just a thought. Good luck!
Why are you even on a forum with that attitude?

Wheel weight will not affect wheel bearings at all. Wheel offset absolutely will.

I would tell that dealer they are not the only Honda dealership, if they value your business they should stop lying to you. By their logic, putting snow tires on your car will void your warranty. Remember the dealers are there for you, not the other way around. Don't let those arrogant !(%*&!) push you around.

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Remember the dealers are there for you, not the other way around. Don't let those arrogant !(%*&!) push you around.
Type your salesperson's name into Google and you might find a criminal record....that's what happened in my case.

crx89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2003 Jeep TJ Rubicon
LOL, that wouldn't fly in Canada, most people have winter wheels/rims for almost half of the year. Stay away from that dealer if you can, he wants to sell you Honda wheels....

Joe4short

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Just buy new wheels, if something goes wrong put the OEM wheels back on before taking it to service.
Sponsored