Want to get a 2018 Civic Hatchback but terrified of the fuel dilution issues

Garlic81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The new Civic hatchback has been my dream car for the past few years, and I finally have the opportunity to get one. I test drove one yesterday and I loved it.

However, now I've just been reading about the issues the 1.5l turbo engine has been having, especially in the CRV but also Civics with this engine. Basically, gas accumulating in the oil.

I'm so disappointed, because I've wanted this car for a while. Is this issue blown out of proportion? Should it be something to worry about?

Unfortunately, living in Canada means I will be doing a lot of cold weather driving, plus mainly short trips, which they say exasperates this issue.

Just wondering if I would be really stupid to still get this car. The big problem is that I'm currently without a car at all and have a rental that's burning a hole in my pocket, so I need to get something ASAP.
Sponsored

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
The new Civic hatchback has been my dream car for the past few years, and I finally have the opportunity to get one. I test drove one yesterday and I loved it.

However, now I've just been reading about the issues the 1.5l turbo engine has been having, especially in the CRV but also Civics with this engine. Basically, gas accumulating in the oil.

I'm so disappointed, because I've wanted this car for a while. Is this issue blown out of proportion? Should it be something to worry about?

Unfortunately, living in Canada means I will be doing a lot of cold weather driving, plus mainly short trips, which they say exasperates this issue.

Just wondering if I would be really stupid to still get this car. The big problem is that I'm currently without a car at all and have a rental that's burning a hole in my pocket, so I need to get something ASAP.
What issues are those? Gas in the oil? Do you have links that this is indeed an issue? I have the 1.5T in my Civic Si, have a little over 11k miles, and have had zero issues.

Wxguru

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring x2
Country flag
If folks are worried about oil dilution from fuel....take a sample at your next oil change and send to Blackstone Labs for analysis. It doesn't cost that much and they will send you the sample kits for free. Have done that with all of my diesel trucks in the past. They all suffer from fuel dilution...but last one I had I sold with 212,000 miles on it and it was still running strong. The dilution is usually very low..

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every DI motor is going to have fuel in the oil. How much depends on the manufacturer. It's just a side effect of spraying fuel directly into the cylinder. There are people with over 100k miles already and their motors are perfectly fine. The only issues I've heard about so far with the motor are people who push too much PSI or over rev and snap a rod.

kc189go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 CivicEX
You can read a huge thread over at the link below if you want (CR-V forum). Basically, some CR-V owners have reported so much fuel in the engine oil that the dipstick indicates the oil is well above the max fill level. People are concerned about the oil's ability to continue to lubricate the engine properly with so much fuel diluting it.

Anyway... https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...psa-potential-issue-watch-your-oil-level.html

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
In China this has become a huge scandal and Honda even stopped selling the DI Civics for some period of time.

The Chinese models got a recall to reprogram the ECU.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
You want the car? Buy it.

If you have problems, that's what a warranty is for.

If you plan on keeping it longer than the initial warranty, buy the extra warranty.

There are literally thousands and thousands of these things on the road, a few will have problems, that's just statistics.

Buy the car you want, worry about warranty problems when they're a problem.

Playeachday

First Name
Play
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring

Hello all, my first post. I wasn't even expecting to end up here. I was searching for any available info on changes for the 2019 Civic and ended up seeing Garlic81's post above. I just wanted to share that I have a '16 Civic Touring with 91,300 miles on it. Arizona/Mexico, heat, elevation, speed and highway miles. Not an easy life for an engine. I had early problems with the "Infotainment system" (that was an oxymoron the first two months) fixed with a software update, operating thereafter ("working" would be to positive a term as I still hate it on a daily basis). But no mechanical problems so far, nothing with the engine. Having said that, I've probably jinxed this poor car (actually a great car, with the exception of noted source of contention) . I hope this helps you figure out what you want to do

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
If you want a gen x civic you have several options.
1) Get the 1.5 T, live with it the way it is, or buy extended warranty. Or, get Geico and progressive insurance. These companies offer 100,000 miles mechanical breakdown warranty for real cheap on all new cars.
2) get the 2.0L older model K engine with port injection.
3) get the TypreR 2.0 turbo.
or
4) get the 1.5T and put new oil in by changing your oil more frequently at 5K miles.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
27000 hard miles in the first year, no problems here. Changing oil according to the MM, ~9-10k miles.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I have always heard the most important thing about owning a car with a turbo is changing the oil on a regular basis.

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I read about the gas/oil dilution issue involving the 1.5L motor and hesitated for a few days, but decided to purchase the Civic anyway, my latest being a 2018 Hatchback Sport 6MT. I figure if the problem becomes as severe here in the U.S. as overseas, Honda will address it immediately and satisfactorily.
Sponsored