Walkaway lock question. I may have tossed my keys in a dumpster!

_HawK_

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Okay, so I decided to get a box and tidy up some items in my trunk. Well, I might have tossed my keys in a dumpster. Talk about a bad day. Well, prior to obtaining my second set of keys (they had to be brought to me) my dash said place key near start button. Then when I tried to close the doors, instead of the beep and lock shortly thereafter I got the warning signal that my keys were inside the car. But while I have not given up searching for them, I couldn't find them anywhere.

After I received the second set of keys the car no longer gave me these warnings and would lock normally. I am hoping that my original keys are still in the car but now with this new behavior with the second set of keys I am not so sure. I am hoping someone can help me figure out if the initial warnings without the second set of keys can be counted on as proof that my keys are actually inside my vehicle somewhere. I sure hope so because I actually did some digging to try and find them and after 3 showers I am feeling better but I really want my keys to be inside my car somewhere.

Help please if you can.
Sponsored

OP
OP
_HawK_

_HawK_

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Check in the spare tire area under the trunk floor. And between the trunk and where the rear seats fold.
I will look however I have the trunk mat and I will be hopeful that they are there I am not too excited that they may be the case. I was looking online and it appears that if one loses their keys even Honda is hard pressed to enter the vehicle. The saddest part is my climbing in a disgusting dumpster in hopes of finding them. Funny and tragic at the same time.

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
I will look however I have the trunk mat and I will be hopeful that they are there I am not too excited that they may be the case. I was looking online and it appears that if one loses their keys even Honda is hard pressed to enter the vehicle. The saddest part is my climbing in a disgusting dumpster in hopes of finding them. Funny and tragic at the same time.

Bruh, id pull that fancy 300-400$ key out of a pile of shit and wash it off. Lol

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, unfortunately, If e everything is working correctly, your keys aren't in your car :(
Its not supposed to lock if you've left them anywhere inside and you said it locked normally when you hit your second set.
My wife is always taking her keys with her and leaving them in the car even when she isn't driving. I get out thinking the car has locked and it hasn't. You also can not remote start if you've left the keys in their either.

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Well, unfortunately, If e everything is working correctly, your keys aren't in your car :(
Its not supposed to lock if you've left them anywhere inside and you said it locked normally when you hit your second set.
My wife is always taking her keys with her and leaving them in the car even when she isn't driving. I get out thinking the car has locked and it hasn't. You also can not remote start if you've left the keys in their either.
The car will not autolock with a set of keys in the car and you can't lock it manually before you exit if the keys are in the car. You can, however, lock it with a second key fob from outside the car even if you leave the other fob inside the car. I do it all the time if my wife has her keys in her purse and wants to leave it in the car. Both our Civic and CR-V behave this way. As far as in the trunk, if you drop your fob in the trunk, when you close the trunk it will just pop back open to prevent you from locking them in the trunk.
Sponsored