Walk away lock feature problems

beanie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
I have been experiencing problems with the walk away lock feature on my new Civic. It happens randomly. When I get out of the car, FOB is in my purse, the car does the long beep signaling that the FOB is still in the car. So the doors don't lock. I can use the FOB and lock the doors. Sometimes if I open the door or trunk a second time, then the auto lock works. No rhyme or reason. Anyone else having this issue?
Sponsored

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Searching the forums will reveal that this is a common issue for many people. I get success only 40-50% of the time - no rhyme or reason that I can figure out. My dealer was clueless about this issue when I asked him, so I did call Honda (1-800-999-1009) and added it to a list of glitches I've been having with my Touring. I'm hoping some sort of software update fixes this, as it was an important feature for me.

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
The long beep probably means your headlight or parking light is still On. If your key is still in the car and you close the door the car does not make a beep. If the a door is not closed all the way there is no beep. Fast repeating beeps mean car doesn't detect key fob or key fob out of range when all door were closed. With walk away auto lock it should be one beep for the car confirming all doors are lock. In about 5 seconds car locks and 2nd beep is heard. If you're still in about 2 feet range of any of the main doors then doors does not lock and there's no 2nd beep until you step further away.

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
I rarely have this problem but I also have my key on a carabiner on my belt loop or in my pocket normally. I'm wondering if there's some kind of issue with a low signal strength? Could you try holding the fob in your hands and getting out and walking away? I know it's not convenient, but might narrow it down.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have tried having the fob in my pocket, in my hands, or dangling in the air with no object between the fob and the car - walk away and lock still works less than half the time for me. It's very frustrating.

OP
OP

beanie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
I have tried having the fob in my pocket, in my hands, or dangling in the air with no object between the fob and the car - walk away and lock still works less than half the time for me. It's very frustrating.
Same here. Doesn't matter if FOB is in my purse or pocket or hand. Walk away lock still randomly doesn't work. And then does work without me changing anything. Boo hiss.

JF07SI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring, 2007 SI
Same here. Doesn't matter if FOB is in my purse or pocket or hand. Walk away lock still randomly doesn't work. And then does work without me changing anything. Boo hiss.
I have the same issue. I get 3 Beeps when walking away, that's when I have to lock it with the FOB or press the door handle button. Some times it locks on its own.

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
I have the same issue. I get 3 Beeps when walking away, that's when I have to lock it with the FOB or press the door handle button. Some times it locks on its own.
The rapid beeps, correct?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have recently found that mine has locked more consistently (though still not perfect) when the fob is in my left coat pocket AND I am walking in such a way that my body, as much as possible, is between the fob and the car. When it's hanging free from a clip on my computer bag or if I am holding it freely, it gives me the error pretty consistently. Maybe with my body blocking the fob from the car a bit, the car registers it as outside sooner (rather than still in the car - which is the manual stated reason we would get the multiple rapid warning beeps). I have been keeping it in my left pocket, so when I'm getting out, the fob is one of the first things to technically cross the car's barrier. It could also be that if the fob is attached to a ring on my computer bag, it hangs too low to the ground, and that scares the car into the beeps. Just theories at this point.

It may all be coincidence, too, that it has "randomly" worked better with this method.

mpetrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have been experiencing problems with the walk away lock feature on my new Civic. It happens randomly. When I get out of the car, FOB is in my purse, the car does the long beep signaling that the FOB is still in the car. So the doors don't lock. I can use the FOB and lock the doors. Sometimes if I open the door or trunk a second time, then the auto lock works. No rhyme or reason. Anyone else having this issue?
I think I figured it out (if it hasn't been found yet). I noticed that I usually am walking away from the car as I shut the door behind me. So, I am already 1-3 steps away from the car as the door is shutting. If I walk away from the car too quickly, I get a series of rapid beeps and the car does not self-lock. But if I stand next to the car as I shut the door and then walk away after the door is shut, the car will lock. I fiddled with it just a moment ago as I came back to work from lunch. I got the rapid beeps as I walked away and shut the door behind me. I repeated the exact same motion three times and each time I got the rapid beeps. But then I stayed next to the car when I shut the door and it worked fine. So, I think those of us that are having issues with the walk away lock feature... we are simply walking away from the car too quickly as we shut the door. Can anyone else confirm this? I may make a video of it later today and upload it to Youtube to show it in action.

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
I think I figured it out (if it hasn't been found yet). I noticed that I usually am walking away from the car as I shut the door behind me. So, I am already 1-3 steps away from the car as the door is shutting. If I walk away from the car too quickly, I get a series of rapid beeps and the car does not self-lock. But if I stand next to the car as I shut the door and then walk away after the door is shut, the car will lock. I fiddled with it just a moment ago as I came back to work from lunch. I got the rapid beeps as I walked away and shut the door behind me. I repeated the exact same motion three times and each time I got the rapid beeps. But then I stayed next to the car when I shut the door and it worked fine. So, I think those of us that are having issues with the walk away lock feature... we are simply walking away from the car too quickly as we shut the door. Can anyone else confirm this? I may make a video of it later today and upload it to Youtube to show it in action.
Mine works all the time and as you say i stay close to door just to make sure door is closed properly no matter which door. It works like a charm. Its 2 months now. Hope this will help.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mpetrie, I have found this does help, but it's not foolproof. Apparently Honda wants us to get out, forget about the meeting we are rushing to, and enjoy our beautiful car for a couple of seconds before continuing. :)

mpetrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Mpetrie, I have found this does help, but it's not foolproof. Apparently Honda wants us to get out, forget about the meeting we are rushing to, and enjoy our beautiful car for a couple of seconds before continuing. :)
Can we blame them? It's the best Civic they've ever made. I love every moment I get to stare and ogle it.

OP
OP

beanie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
I tried this waiting by the door but still it only randomly works.
Sponsored