First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This morning I went down to get into my car for something before going to work only to discover my car was locked AND I didnt have the key with me. Walk up two flights of steps to get the key then back down again. In the security of my own garage!

Is there a way to deactivate this option when one is in a secure location as in a geo fenced area? Its to bad there isnt a IFTTT applet that can communicate with that system on the car, wouldnt that be cool.
Sponsored

ramnj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes. Its in the manual. Very easy to do.

markc72

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L w/NAVI
Country flag
Go into the settings on the screen to system settings.

OP
OP
Civic_Scott

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, I read the manual, my takeway on this is to leave a spare key in the garage within 5 feet of the car while it is parked in the garge. Should work.

Thanks.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Garages are secure?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, I read the manual, my takeway on this is to leave a spare key in the garage within 5 feet of the car while it is parked in the garge. Should work.

Thanks.

Why not just leave the original key in the garage within 5 feet of the car, while it is parked in the garage?

cmatti2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think that if you just leave a key fob in the garage, it will run the battery in the fob down. Won't it? Also, are garages really that secure? I park my car in my garage and still lock the doors.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
This morning I went down to get into my car for something before going to work only to discover my car was locked AND I didnt have the key with me. Walk up two flights of steps to get the key then back down again. In the security of my own garage!

Is there a way to deactivate this option when one is in a secure location as in a geo fenced area? Its to bad there isnt a IFTTT applet that can communicate with that system on the car, wouldnt that be cool.

Your garage has 2 flights of stairs?? OP is a good example of someone complaining about nothing. Read your manual.

sib2on

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
i agree with just bringing your keys with you. im not sure...of the actual complaint here.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
i agree with just bringing your keys with you. im not sure...of the actual complaint here.
Here is a simple solution.
I have the walk-away auto-lock function always active and it works perfectly for me. :lock:
But I also was sometimes annoyed that when I want to get something from the car in the garage I might forget to grab the fob and I have to go back from the garage to get it. Not quite two flights of stairs, but still annoying. What's worse, often I'm only wearing my underwear and then have to slip the fob in there. :fear:

Still I think it's good to keep the car most of the time automatically locked in the garage because sometimes the garage door might be left open or something else might happen.

So, here is the simple solution if you want to prevent the doors from walk-away auto-locking: before closing the door touch the rear side window with your fob remote, then shut the door, then just walk away with your remote. No sound will sound whatsoever and the doors will not lock. Voilà!

If you keep your remote in your pocket and don't want to bother pulling it out, you may try to lean close against the car to get the same effect as touching the window. If the long series of beeps sounds it's just as good.

If you want to keep your car unlocked in the garage just do this every time when closing the car door. If you then come later without the fob, the doors will be unlocked and when you close the door again, the long series of beeps will sound to tell you the door will remain unlocked.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Come on already. Too much ado about nothing. Just turn off the walk away locks and lock from the key fob.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Come on already. Too much ado about nothing. Just turn off the walk away locks and lock from the key fob.
I will never ever turn off walk-away locking. I refuse to dig out the fob out of my deep pockets and look for the right button on it just to lock the car every time I park at a store, like my father used to. I paid for this tremendous feature so I've gotta use it. :headbang:

OP
OP
Civic_Scott

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And the way I forget, forget aboutit. I will turn the function off then forget to turn it back on or forget how to turn it back on. Would be sweet to have IFTTT functionality on the car considering it is Android, does connect to wifi and has a web browser.
Sponsored