Jmandude11

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 gen civic
Country flag
I highly recommend that BBG be tapered (Low to High). In the LOW range of any type of transmission is where the hard stress is present. Although we have not seen a compressor map for the W1, you probably wouldn't wish to go beyond 17-18psi with a CVT and will definitely need 93Oct or higher to run as smooth as possible. You won’t achieve 16psi in 1st as you will be well out of 2nd before that charge reaches it’s peak.
The DP will help keep your torque lower initially down low and The WG will need to somehow be managed precisely to keep you from spiking.
Don’t forget a “catch can” most definitely....
Can you touch more on a catch can? Is this the device that helps the crankcase release pressure?
Sponsored

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Yes. The catch can will help absorb the “blow by” of oil coming out of the crankcase. Especially beneficial under higher boost levels. The 1.5L (by Honda) does a pretty good job with diluting the oil passage with fuel to keep that “backside” residue a bit fresher (contrary to unpopular belief).

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
MaPerformance said this about the catch can.

"Conclusion: Does your 2017+ Civic Si Need A Catch Can?
In stock longblock form we have found that the L15B7 found in the 2017+ Honda Civic Si PCV system works very well, and operates well beyond what we expected when beginning the testing. For this reason, we have decided to halt the current development on a catch can solution for the car to focus efforts elsewhere. As we make changes to the car and continue to up the power we will revisit along the way until we find a weak point!"

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would pretty much concur with that statement.
I bought a catch-can with about 800mi on my odometer, and have just looked it at about 10k mi...only like a teaspoon in there.
Nothing like you'd see in other cars.

I'm not an aggressive driver by any means however...

Jmandude11

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 gen civic
Country flag
I would pretty much concur with that statement.
I bought a catch-can with about 800mi on my odometer, and have just looked it at about 10k mi...only like a teaspoon in there.
Nothing like you'd see in other cars.

I'm not an aggressive driver by any means however...
I've read horror stories of the can freezing and causing pressure to build up and blow seals. I love the idea of Prl's catch can they are R&D right now. @PRL Motorsports do you have an estimate on when your design will be available to the consumers?

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
I've read horror stories of the can freezing and causing pressure to build up and blow seals. I love the idea of Prl's catch can they are R&D right now. @PRL Motorsports do you have an estimate on when your design will be available to the consumers?
This is a project that is still under development at this time.Thanks for inquiring with us!

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is a screen shot of a dyno graph from a CVT customer of ours in Singapore. Car is custom tuned on a Hondata with bolt on's and a little bit of ethanol.
You can check it out on IG @civic_mljj

Honda Civic 10th gen W1 Turbo on CVT car dyno/test results database IMG_20190625_085700_317

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm interested in seeing some US CVT Civics with the W1 accompanied by some solid analysis from tuners/professionals.

There must be some out there by now.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
I think this turbo would pair great with my 2018 Accord 2.0T 10A/T.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I thought our cvt's are maxed out at 250 foot pounds of torque?
Look at how “smooth” the graph is and the fact the dash shown is not a Sport model. So, question the fact how the power curve is that smooth w/o the ability to transition at peak power? Cough cough
Besides..look at the TCF on the 1st one, it is 25% above what is REAL. Typical Singapore trying to get false attention

Last edited:

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Look at how “smooth” the graph is and the fact the dash shown is not a Sport model. So, question the fact how the power curve is that smooth w/o the ability to transition at peak power? Cough cough
Besides..look at the TCF on the 1st one, it is 25% above what is REAL. Typical Singapore trying to get false attention
Yeah something is "interesting" about those numbers and graphs. It looks nothing like the other supposed CVT dynos. There's no way that dude is getting 300+HP and near 300lb/ft torque without the internals or transmission failing with just FBO and pump gas. Let alone the quality of the graph pattern on a CVT without paddle shifters.

Again, I'd like to see some data from US CVT Civics, analyzed by credible professionals.

Last edited:

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just watched the video. It doesn't look like a sport trim, but it looks like there's shifting going on? I'm so confused by all the information on this turbo in CVTs.

I really would like to buy the W1, but can't rightly let myself do it without credible information of how it will behave or affect a CVT.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just watched the video. It doesn't look like a sport trim, but it looks like there's shifting going on? I'm so confused by all the information on this turbo in CVTs.

I really would like to buy the W1, but can't rightly let myself do it without credible information of how it will behave or affect a CVT.
The Ktuner 21psi is pushing roughly a tad over 200lbft at a rather lower RPM. With a W1 having both 60% larger Compressor-Turbine wheels, the power is shifted to the right. A savvy tuner could play with a number of variables (WG, Timing, BBG, etc) to achieve a pretty strong tune; even if 250hp and 230lb ft. In addition to that is much less boost; this less heat - That is consistency all day long. Granted the use of an upgraded IC.
Slightly opening up the stock mid pipe and the 2.125 exhaust piping to maybe 2.25-2.35 would also alleviate increased torque generation down low. Couple that with (maybe) running no more than 18-18.5psi and you again have a very cool and efficient machine. Food for thought....

What I am eluding to is, just because you upgrade a turbo - does not mean you have to shoot for Big #’s. It can be used for higher efficiency.
Sponsored