Volkswagen Has Teased The Golf R Performance Pack That Will Take The Fight To The New Civic Type R

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I really don't feel as though the CTR competes with the Golf R, STi, and the RS.

I think they reset the bar for the ST and the GTi (for those hot-hatch vehicles available in the US). It will be interesting to see how the SCCA and NASA classifies it.

Bender Unit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat Abarth (Trade-In for)
Country flag
Agreed.
That article is non sense ,linking a difference type of model toward CTR.

VW GTI Club Sport S is the CTR competition.
And it is the current fastest FF record holder at The Ring.

Last edited:

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
VW is just making the R more competitive and capable on track. I assume some of its upgrades can be transfered to the Clubsport S to improve its lap time too.

If you like VW or not, competition is good. Ya it should be pretty expensive for that package. It has an Akrapovic titanium exhaust. Bad ass.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
The performance of the DSG Golf R is unbelievable to me... It's my go to alternative to the Type R. Especially now that you can find them locally for sub-MSRP. APR tune plus DSG flash 0-60 and street straight line speed is no joke at all!

Just wish the car wasn't hideous to look at

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It doesn't help it's identical to a regular ass 16 year old girl's Golf... but I guess who cares when you can 3.6 0-60 and 11.7 1/4 mile with the stage 2 APR.

People point and laugh at your ugly car you can speed home to cry alone quickly.

Dcreek02

"If it aint a Type R, it aint a tight car"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2004 Acura TSX (6spd w/ Navi), 1998 Dakota R/T, 1985 Audi UR Quattro, 1965 Triumph TR4A,
Country flag
I guess the Golf GTI ClubSport couldn't handle taking down the new Civic R so they had to compare it to their next model up from it in a diffrent class. LOL

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
I just sold my 16' Golf R.

While it's very quick and fun to drive in a straight line(had it APR tuned) it just wasn't nearly as engaging as a Focus ST, STi or even a Fiesta ST. This might be because I had a DSG.

Also be warned if you get a stage 1 tune like 700 hundred dollars. you will also need to need to get a DSG tune for another 700 otherwise you will get clutch slippage when you go WOT from a standstill.

Other than that interior of the car was very nice and refined. I also liked how the car was a sleeper, it basically looked just like the base Golf.

I do miss the AWD with winter tires setup tho.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just sold my 16' Golf R.

While it's very quick and fun to drive in a straight line(had it APR tuned) it just wasn't nearly as engaging as a Focus ST, STi or even a Fiesta ST. This might be because I had a DSG.

Also be warned if you get a stage 1 tune like 700 hundred dollars. you will also need to need to get a DSG tune for another 700 otherwise you will get clutch slippage when you go WOT from a standstill.

Other than that interior of the car was very nice and refined. I also liked how the car was a sleeper, it basically looked just like the base Golf.

I do miss the AWD with winter tires setup tho.
I'll pick your brain if I can't find a Type R before 2018... I don't want to buy the Golf R but I can't do a winter in what I'm stuck with for now.
Sponsored