VitTuned Drop In Turbo Upgrade -- Initial Results Sneak Peak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

05NBPDC5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
As far as parts you would still only need the new turbo with a base car for the upgrade.
Sponsored

FKSE7EN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HatchBack Sport 6MT
Country flag
Yes, it is different. But only slightly. It should fit
Fitment wasn’t my concern it was more on having to change the sensor which would result in changing the housing on the stock air box. @VitViper please put this MAF subject to rest.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Fitment wasn’t my concern it was more on having to change the sensor which would result in changing the housing on the stock air box. @VitViper please put this MAF subject to rest.
I understand that now. Lol there’s nothing to put to rest. I’ve been corrected, because I was confused by your words, not everyone is a wizard, should be more clear next time.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You CVT folks that are considering this, keep in mind that you will be losing low end torque. Not talking about the big CVT killing torque in the midrange. I'm talking from idle to 2800rpm or so torque. There's a whole thread with people complaining about how slow the CVT is off the line as is (I am not one of them). Just a heads up!

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I highly doubt my words confused you enough to say this lol
4B0A7A66-D1F5-418B-BE71-9D432849B2CD.jpeg
The original post was edited before he commented. Called a mistake. You confused me by saying upgrade MAF housing. You said nothing about the sensor in your first post. And now you are just ruining the thread by continuing your ignorant comments.:coffee:

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LoL I'm sure @PRL Motorsports will have something for us soon. This turbo upgrade will actually be nicer on your rods though lol
And then the other question is should there be a rod AND piston upgrade to make even more power? Still waiting for a top end kit so we can get more revs out safely.

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
You CVT folks that are considering this, keep in mind that you will be losing low end torque. Not talking about the big CVT killing torque in the midrange. I'm talking from idle to 2800rpm or so torque. There's a whole thread with people complaining about how slow the CVT is off the line as is (I am not one of them). Just a heads up!
This turbo still makes more torque below 3500 than the car does stock from the factory. Stock our Si didn't hit 200 ft lbs until like 3400 rpm... It was only 100ft lbs at 1500 rpm.

The original post was edited before he commented. Called a mistake. You confused me by saying upgrade MAF housing. You said nothing about the sensor in your first post. And now you are just ruining the thread by continuing your ignorant comments.:coffee:
MAF housing may need an upgrade, the sensor itself doesn't lol.

And then the other question is should there be a rod AND piston upgrade to make even more power? Still waiting for a top end kit so we can get more revs out safely.
That would be prudent for higher power... so far nothing's broke at this power level.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This turbo upgrade would probably work very well with Prl’s race MAF housing with their intake. Like two peas in a pod.

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
This turbo upgrade would probably work very well with Prl’s race MAF housing with their intake. Like two peas in a pod.
Don't need to change the maf housing on the Si.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't need to change the maf housing on the Si.
Do you think this upgrade creates enough air to even use the race MAF and have positive results from it? Or you thinking that’s proabbky something for he upcoming turbo kit?

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Do you think this upgrade creates enough air to even use the race MAF and have positive results from it? Or you thinking that’s proabbky something for he upcoming turbo kit?
The Si is a frequency MAF. It'll just keep on reading a higher and higher frequency as you add more air. If Honda didn't put some software cap on it.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This turbo still makes more torque below 3500 than the car does stock from the factory. Stock our Si didn't hit 200 ft lbs until like 3400 rpm... It was only 100ft lbs at 1500 rpm.
Well this has been in the works for some time and we finally have a decent "drop in" turbo upgrade for the 1.5T! The goal was to have something quick and easy to install and pick up 10-15% power and keeping the powerband from dropping like a rock after 5000 rpm.

Mission accomplished. .................................
For the stock turbo graphs you can see I extrapolated the dyno chart with a line -- we don't dyno the car past 6500 on the stock turbo as power loss is DRASTIC up there.

How's this compare to E40 on the stock turbo?
turbo_vs_stock_e40.png
This is going all out on the stock turbo -- as you can see we removed the huge torque spike below 3500 rpm (harder on the rods). Torque comes in smoother and power from 3700 to 5000 rpm is basically a wash -- but then the upgraded turbo continues to carry. Anywhere from 20-40whp gained and now it's got some legs!

How's this look on 92 octane? Let's compare a conservative tune first.
pump_gas_conservative.png
Plenty gained over a conservative tune.

How about a really aggressive 92 octane stock turbo tune that pushes the knock limit (which people like to do for "glory" numbers, but unrealistic to run as it gets crunchy and can help the motor. Hey we do it for fun too!)
pump_gas_aggressive.png
Similar results as the eblend.

Perhaps I am looking at the wrong lines on the dyno graphs above. The dotted line that is extrapolated past 6500rpm is the stock turbo correct? It's lower than the upgraded turbo hp for hp in the lower range. That's what I was trying to point out to people.

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Perhaps I am looking at the wrong lines on the dyno graphs above. The dotted line that is extrapolated past 6500rpm is the stock turbo correct? It's lower than the upgraded turbo hp for hp in the lower range. That's what I was trying to point out to people.
You're looking at a modified and TUNED car, not a stock car.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
Seeing as how the torque hit has been shifted and smoothed over, do you think this mod will still "need" a clutch upgrade?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.