VitTuned Drop In Turbo Upgrade -- Initial Results Sneak Peak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

captlwr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
what about runnung VP 98 Octane NON-Ethanol Gas in the Stock Motor??
Sponsored

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Bumping this thread, anyone get their turbo back yet? My friend is thinking about pulling the trigger on a Si turbo to have sent out, but with recent people showing engine damage in the base 1.5’s he’s skeptical on doing it because he thinks the internals aren’t strong enough. He also wants to know everything you need in order for the upgraded Si turbo to work in the sport hatchback MT.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bumping this thread, anyone get their turbo back yet? My friend is thinking about pulling the trigger on a Si turbo to have sent out, but with recent people showing engine damage in the base 1.5’s he’s skeptical on doing it because he thinks the internals aren’t strong enough. He also wants to know everything you need in order for the upgraded Si turbo to work in the sport hatchback MT.
Pretty sure no one has gotten them back yet. I know of 2 that ordered. You just need the turbo and a tuner

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is the beauty of this turbo. It sacrifices some of the potentially dangerous low end torque for more high end HP. This turbo is arguably safer than the turbo that came with the car, for someone that plans on altering boost levels.

My understanding is that all you need is the modified turbocharger and something to tune it with.

GTAHatch

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic 1.5T Sport Hatch MT
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, thank you both for the reply’s. I’ll let him know.
Once I get my turbo back I’ll be posting videos. Also I have a sport and I’ve upgraded to the Si turbo. This turbo will definitely be more reliable and not as stressful on the motor. Win win!!

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Question: on several of the "I blew up my engine" threads that have popped up, I have seen multiple mentions of how running higher boost levels could potentially cause a catastrophic overboost condition. I believe that one of the main advantages of this turbo is that it allows for much higher levels of boost (albeit at higher RPMS).

Could someone please help me to reconcile these "overboost" comments with the idea that this new turbo will be much safer? Would "overboost" in this context just be a stand in for "too much torque" low in the rev range, or is overboost a separate phenomenon?

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Once I get my turbo back I’ll be posting videos. Also I have a sport and I’ve upgraded to the Si turbo. This turbo will definitely be more reliable and not as stressful on the motor. Win win!!
Awesome man! I’ll definitely be looking for it when you post it. Definitely seems like a very worthy upgrade.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question: on several of the "I blew up my engine" threads that have popped up, I have seen multiple mentions of how running higher boost levels could potentially cause a catastrophic overboost condition. I believe that one of the main advantages of this turbo is that it allows for much higher levels of boost (albeit at higher RPMS).

Could someone please help me to reconcile these "overboost" comments with the idea that this new turbo will be much safer? Would "overboost" in this context just be a stand in for "too much torque" low in the rev range, or is overboost a separate phenomenon?
The blown engine threads have mostly been caused by people over revving the motor or not taking proper care of the car. I haven't seen a thread that talks about overboosting yet. That's not to say that the rods will hold up to it as that is one of the weak points that the aftermarket has brought up, but you can still upgrade the turbo and run safe boost levels while making more power.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

My understanding is as follows: In this context overboost is a scenario that trips a failsafe mode of sorts that essentially locks the waste gate open, preventing you from building any boost until the ECU code is cleared. This can be done with Ktuner or Hondata. There are ECU tables that allow you to raise the level allowed before tripping overboost protection.

“Overboost” in itself is not necessarily dangerous. It just depends on how high you have that limit raised and where within the powerband that one decides to crank up the boost.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
My understanding is as follows: In this context overboost is a scenario that trips a failsafe mode of sorts that essentially locks the waste gate open, preventing you from building any boost until the ECU code is cleared. This can be done with Ktuner or Hondata. There are ECU tables that allow you to raise the level allowed before tripping overboost protection.

“Overboost” in itself is not necessarily dangerous. It just depends on how high you have that limit raised and where within the powerband that one decides to crank up the boost.
That helps, thank you. Would there ever be a situation where very high boost levels themselves could be damaging to the engine, independent of torque? Or is torque that only thing that we need to be cautious of?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That helps, thank you. Would there ever be a situation where very high boost levels themselves could be damaging to the engine, independent of torque? Or is torque that only thing that we need to be cautious of?
Aside from an over-rev or two I think most all of the damage we have seen done so far was a result from too much cylinder pressure / torque at too low of an RPM for it to be sustainable. I'm not a mechanic or a pro-tuner but have researched the issue fairly throughly. The other day someone here linked to a post on a Mazdaspeed forum that seemed very relevant to what we are seeing with this platform, they had similar issues while learning that platform. You are not going to going to make any torque worth speaking of without significant boost pressure on the 1.5T platform. You can get away with it at higher RPMs. Not so much down low. There is a fine line somewhere that we are still trying to pinpoint.

As an Si owner, I think you have a lot less to worry about as compared to the "base" 1.5T owners. Si motors are being pushed harder and I've yet to hear about one ending up with mechanical issues.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.