VitTuned Drop In Turbo Upgrade -- Initial Results Sneak Peak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

methan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan - MSM
Country flag
So even a stock Si will benefit from the upgraded compressor wheel as shown in the dyno graph (with other requisite goodies)? And the $850 would cover the cost for Vit to install the new wheel and do any machining?

And, besides engine internals, at what point would you need to worry about stress on other externals like transmission gears, or driveshafts? - Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
So even a stock Si will benefit from the upgraded compressor wheel as shown in the dyno graph (with other requisite goodies)? And the $850 would cover the cost for Vit to install the new wheel and do any machining?

And, besides engine internals, at what point would you need to worry about stress on other externals like transmission gears, or driveshafts? - Thanks in advance!
Yes $850 covers the upgrade to your turbo. We have not damaged anything in the transmission to date.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes $850 covers the upgrade to your turbo. We have not damaged anything in the transmission to date.
How long does it take for shipping?

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
How long does it take for shipping?
We're currently waiting on machining more compressor wheels. Once those are on the shelf if you send a core in it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks or so. Right now we have several cores out to fulfill customer orders.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We're currently waiting on machining more compressor wheels. Once those are on the shelf if you send a core in it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks or so. Right now we have several cores out to fulfill customer orders.
So based on your site, I can just purchase the upgraded turbo for $1950 and get my $1000 core fee back when I send in my SI turbo correct?

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
im hoping that i can get lucky and find a used si turbo for sale to use as a core charge lol

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Why doesn't the dyno create legends for their graphs? For those not familiar with multi-measure dyno graphs, they're impossible to read without a legend.

We're replacing the compressor wheel with a larger billet unit and machining the compressor housing to fit the larger wheel. The Si/CRV turbo has a slightly larger TURBINE (exhaust) wheel with less fins than the "base" 1.5 turbo which reduces some exhaust pressure at higher boost levels (less exhaust pressure = more power). We CAN absolutely upgrade the base turbo and there will be gains, however upgrading the Si/CRV turbo will show more gains. So if you want to upgrade the base turbo, we absolutely can -- but you will need to send the turbo in (either yours or one you've found -- you can get base turbos at junk yards very readily now). As I suspect people will want to see the *most* gains, we advise upgrading the Si/CRV turbo (using it as the "core"). With this in mind I intend to keep a couple of Si/CRV turbos on hand ready to ship so you don't have to remove or source yours -- but charge a "core" fee, which is my cost to get a NEW Si/CRV turbo to replace it if you don't send yours back.
Isn't the housing the same between the Si/CRV and base? If so, why couldn't you replace the base turbine with the Si/CRV wheel?

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Why doesn't the dyno create legends for their graphs? For those not familiar with multi-measure dyno graphs, they're impossible to read without a legend.
A legend for what? What exactly isn't clear? It's simple HP & TQ (axes labeled). HP & TQ cross at 5250... clear to me which is TQ and which is HP. Solid vs dashed to show before/after.

Isn't the housing the same between the Si/CRV and base? If so, why couldn't you replace the base turbine with the Si/CRV wheel?
You can't just "replace" the turbine wheel on the base -- where are you getting the wheel? You have to make one, then machine the housing to fit. If we're doing that we might as well do a bigger turbine wheel to start with for all cars.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
A legend for what? What exactly isn't clear? It's simple HP & TQ (axes labeled). HP & TQ cross at 5250... clear to me which is TQ and which is HP. Solid vs dashed to show before/after.
Obviously it's clear to you, but again, not to someone who isn't a tuner or doesn't know dyno charts. It has four different lines on it. There's no way for someone to know what those are unless they already know or they're labeled. I'm sure I'm not alone. Part of my job is creating graphs, but I'm not a tuner guru.

You can't just "replace" the turbine wheel on the base -- where are you getting the wheel? You have to make one, then machine the housing to fit. If we're doing that we might as well do a bigger turbine wheel to start with for all cars.
You're replacing the compressor. Whatever you'd doing to make that work, why couldn't you do the same for the turbine?

AsianGuy98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@VitViper would having this upgrade and also having a 3" turbo back net more power? I plan on getting a custom 3" exhaust done (Already have PLM dp/fp combo), Intercooler kit, and clutch in the spring... would I need a custom tune? Going to run on straight 93. Lmk. Thanks.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@VitViper would having this upgrade and also having a 3" turbo back net more power? I plan on getting a custom 3" exhaust done (Already have PLM dp/fp combo), Intercooler kit, and clutch in the spring... would I need a custom tune? Going to run on straight 93. Lmk. Thanks.
I'll save you some time. An upgraded downpipe is going to help out. The rest, may not. The exhaust side of the turbo is still pretty restricted. You'll definitely need a custom tune to run this turbo.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
You’ll get full gains with the full exhaust with the upcoming Prl “Big turbo” kit. Not with this compressor wheel upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.