OP
OP

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
I remember selling my ex girlfriends 2008 accord a few years ago. I know for a fact it was never in an accident and the car fax was clean (granted should never solely rely on Car fax) However the guy who was buying it was freaking out that the bumper and fenders did not have Vin numbers and thought I was lying.

However, once his own Mechanic told him they were not on the 08 accords the guy calmed down and bought the car for his daughter. It only had 43k miles on it in 2016. It's still going strong as I see it around town sometimes still.

This was my first experience without vin numbers on panels.
I wonder how far back it was when they stopped having them.
Sponsored

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey. Does your car have VIN tags in the panels?

I’m realizing my 2018 has none! Other than the one in the drivers door jamb.

Did those VIN tags stop being a thing? Or do I have a serious issue to work through?
Honda quit putting VIN tags on all the panels years ago. You’re good, no need to worry.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder how far back it was when they stopped having them.

Honestly no idea.... it seems that Honda stopped doing it sooner than other MFG... (At least I think so, I have no proof of this claim)

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I have never heard of that in my life, the “for an additional price!” Good to know.
It's a dealer thing not a manufacturer thing. it's just a dealer scam to get more money from the buyer. like those retarded data dots. or any other dealer offered "anti" theft item.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
The door jam is just a sticker though, right?

Also yes the dash one is a no brainer haha...
There is a vin panel under the passenger floor mat. lift mat and lift panel and the frame is stamped with the vin there.

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For my 2019 CTR, they offered etching. No tags.
At least yours was offered the dealership where I bought my car automatically tags all their vehicles to which the consumer has no choice but to pay for it

IamTheD0ctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 27530
Country flag
At least yours was offered the dealership where I bought my car automatically tags all their vehicles to which the consumer has no choice but to pay for it
the dealer also put it in my type r but I didnt need to pay for it, was never brought up.

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the dealer also put it in my type r but I didnt need to pay for it, was never brought up.
Yeah mine wasn't brought up either til I saw the charged amount on the invoice and I asked about it.

CTR FTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Accord 2.0, 1993 CBR600F2
Country flag
I just wanted to clear some information up regarding the VIN labels. All passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles (MPV's) and light trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 6,000 lbs. or less are required to apply anti theft parts markings for vehicles manufactured from September 1, 2006. This is referenced in the Code of Federal Regulations 49 CFR Part 541.

However, vehicle manufacturers can petition for exemption for the parts markings for 1 vehicle line per year, providing they can prove to NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) that the vehicle line has an effective anti theft system. Once a vehicle line is granted exemption for parts markings, all future model years will continue to be exempt for that particular vehicle line. This exemption allowance can be referenced in 49 CFR Part 543.

The Civic model line was granted exemption for parts markings beginning with 2014 model year. Reference: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...m-the-vehicle-theft-prevention-standard-honda

The Accord model line was granted exemption for parts markings beginning with 2015 model year. Reference: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...motor-vehicle-theft-prevention-standard-honda

The manufacturer's purpose for eliminating the VIN label is to save cost. The cost savings come from eliminating the drawings, labels, ink, printing hardware, and labor. Multiply that by 250,000 vehicles per year, per vehicle line, and the savings become significant.

Hopefully this clears up any mis-information out there.
Sponsored

Last edited: