Video of feet while shifting

OP
OP

hashsi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Okay so on the way home I took into account the rev hang. I clutch in, shift to second, hold clutch all the way in until revs drop (seems like 2 seconds) then fully release clutch in one fluid motion. No holding at friction point. No jerk. Just perfectly smooth.

Now, however, is holding the pedal down that long worse then releasing quick, HOLDING friction point, then completely letting off?
Sponsored

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Okay so on the way home I took into account the rev hang. I clutch in, shift to second, hold clutch all the way in until revs drop (seems like 2 seconds) then fully release clutch in one fluid motion. No holding at friction point. No jerk. Just perfectly smooth.

Now, however, is holding the pedal down that long worse then releasing quick, HOLDING friction point, then completely letting off?
Youll be ok holding the pedal down that long, just dont hold it long at the point where it engages because youll ride the clutch.

RunningHot2017

20 years. Smashing gears.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

Like Boosted said, as long you can hold the clutch in all the way you dont have to worry about the friction point as the clutch is not in contact with the flywheel. Its better to do it in one fluid motion rather than let off, friction bite, let off.

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
If I get my rpms up, I dont give any gas. I dont have too, It shifts like butter. But if im taking off kinda quick I will release slowly and give a little gas right before the bite to help speed up the wheels and match revs. I dont stay in that friction area very long, once I give gas, I let out on the clutch pretty quick. It just takes lots of practice. When I got the car my shifts were always erratic, but now I can shift like the car it is an automatic. My girl really appreciates the finesse
I gotta work on this
My issue is still going from first to second, not sure if there is just too much rev hang even if I try to release slow I always get a little judder, every other gear is smooth including releasing on first. Anyone else have this issue or have had this issue? I've had car for only about a week so far.
yeah, me too. I’m experiencing this judder from 1st into 2nd. Someone won’t even ride with me because its getting them sick. Every other changeover is smoothe, including pulling away in 1st (but took time). Releasing the clutch slower does seem to help, but still a work in progress. I shift all gears @ 3K for now while breaking in the engine. Car has 300 miles on it.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The brake and clutch do come out farther than the gas pedal which makes it a little difficult. I have rather large feet so the heel/toe isnt so bad for me personally.

at what RPM did you shift to 2nd in?

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
2500-3k rpm. Quick on the clutch. Anything over 3k (in 1-2 shift) push in the clutch all the way and leave it bottomed out an extra second for that smooth shift.

Also I get off the gas a fraction of a second quicker than other manual cars before I do the clutch in. And clutch is all the way out before I reapply gas again.

I never hold it at the friction zone to smooth out the gear change from 1-2.

However on clutch take up under normal driving, as I am clutching out, I “stop” at the friction zone for a microsecond when the clutch is like 80% out. You will notice this on all YouTube video training

Last edited:

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
T
2500-3k rpm. Quick on the clutch. Anything over 3k (in 1-2 shift) push in the clutch all the way and leave it bottomed out an extra second for that smooth shift.

Also I get off the gas a fraction of a second quicker than other manual cars before I do the clutch in. And clutch is all the way out before I reapply gas again.

I never hold it at the friction zone to smooth out the gear change from 1-2.

However on clutch take up under normal driving, as I am clutching out, I “stop” at the friction zone for a microsecond when the clutch is like 80% out. You will notice this on all YouTube video training
Thanks man! I'll probably experiment with this

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you so much!
Caraddict on YouTube has a video on adjusting the brake peddle lower to make heal toe shifting easier. It is a cheaper way to do a similar thing to the neat Acuity device.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Does anyone hear a clunk right after letting of the clutch pedal when shifting from first to second? it is almost gone if I let off the clutch slooooow...but normal shifting with no radio on I can definitely hear it engaging, and it drives me nuts

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone hear a clunk right after letting of the clutch pedal when shifting from first to second? it is almost gone if I let off the clutch slooooow...but normal shifting with no radio on I can definitely hear it engaging, and it drives me nuts
It is probably the clutch delay valve grabbing the clutch with a jerk. I took the CDV out and now on most shifts I can't tell when the clutch is engaged, it is so smooth. I do play the radio though. If you go slow enough the CDV can keep up and so it is coincident with your foot.

arogan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
blog.arogan.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2018 (modern steel)
What works for me when shifting from 1 to 2 in the 2K-3K rpm range is to give it just a little throttle while releasing the clutch. It's counter intuitive with the rev hang but I find my shifts buttery smooth when adding just a little gas vs waiting 1-2 seconds and releasing the clutch with no gas.

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
What works for me when shifting from 1 to 2 in the 2K-3K rpm range is to give it just a little throttle while releasing the clutch. It's counter intuitive with the rev hang but I find my shifts buttery smooth when adding just a little gas vs waiting 1-2 seconds and releasing the clutch with no gas.
What works for me when shifting gears is I just say F the clutch and shift..... J/k j/k j/k
Sponsored