Vibration on idle

FK7_VAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Hey guys just looking for some opinions.

Ive had this car about a week now and it seems when I'm sitting in park for quite a while I feel a slight inconsistent vibration. Its not too strong but could be felt through the seat/ your legs (vibration is kind of like the one felt when you're powering off the car).

Also want to point out I've usually only noticed this while I'm in my driveway at a slight incline and my car is at 700rpm. A/C on or off doesn't change anything.

Both times Ive felt it has been after reving my engine while parked not sure if this changes anything. (haven't tried it without ever reving)

Anyways, anybody else feel this? Am I thinking too much into it and its normal?

Ive drove a chevy with a messed up CVT in the past that vibrated an awful lot so just scared of the same.
Sponsored

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
I had this issue in my car. Took it to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong.

After I got my KTuner I hooked it up and realized the car was idling at 600rpm. The tachometer gauge showed about 750rpm while the car was actually idling at 600. This is clearly not right since the target idle RPM is 720 with A/C off.

After some slight re-scaling of the airflow sensor the car was able to hit the target idle of 720. It was still a little rough for me though so I turned it up to 800rpm, and now it actually feels like a new car idling.

skstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my car has slight vibrations at 600rpm, not too noticeable but its there. turning on the lowbeams or the ac bumps it up to 700rpm and stops vibrating

OP
OP
FK7_VAN

FK7_VAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I had this issue in my car. Took it to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong.

After I got my KTuner I hooked it up and realized the car was idling at 600rpm. The tachometer gauge showed about 750rpm while the car was actually idling at 600. This is clearly not right since the target idle RPM is 720 with A/C off.

After some slight re-scaling of the airflow sensor the car was able to hit the target idle of 720. It was still a little rough for me though so I turned it up to 800rpm, and now it actually feels like a new car idling.
It seems like this may be the case with mines as well. Im glad its not the CVT atleast.
Im debating even wasting my time with the dealer because they'll probably tell me the same BS.

OP
OP
FK7_VAN

FK7_VAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
my car has slight vibrations at 600rpm, not too noticeable but its there. turning on the lowbeams or the ac bumps it up to 700rpm and stops vibrating
I've tried both A/C on and off but not low beams. Ill try that next and see if it changes anything. Thanks!

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
It seems like this may be the case with mines as well. Im glad its not the CVT atleast.
Im debating even wasting my time with the dealer because they'll probably tell me the same BS.
See if you can get a cheap scanner, or go to Advanced auto or something, and check the actual RPM the engine is running at so you have some evidence :D

OP
OP
FK7_VAN

FK7_VAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
See if you can get a cheap scanner, or go to Advanced auto or something, and check the actual RPM the engine is running at so you have some evidence :D
Will do. I actually worked at Advance for 4 years and didn't even think of this lol. Appreciate it!

romeroj116

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag

How do you KNOW that the target idle RPM is 720 with the A/C off? Did you talk to a Honda technician? Where did you get this information?

Please provide me with that information as my 2016 Civic EX-T vibrates considerable when the tachometer indicates 600 RPM and I am trying to get the dealer to fix it under warranty.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
When my car is idling in drive, I get vibration in the dash and the drivers front seat vibrates, if I slightly hit gas or put in park the idle bumps up just a bit and the vibration stops. Of course dealer cant duplicate the vibrations but states the idle is at factory specs..

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
If your car idles at 600rpm I think it's normal. The crappy part is everything inside including the seats resonate at that RPM lol so it amplifies the effect. To bump up the idle to 700 or so either turn on the headlights for nighttime driving or turn on the fan. It should bump it up to 700.

Plezor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic RS sedan 2016
Country flag
If your car idles at 600rpm I think it's normal. The crappy part is everything inside including the seats resonate at that RPM lol so it amplifies the effect. To bump up the idle to 700 or so either turn on the headlights for nighttime driving or turn on the fan. It should bump it up to 700.
My car does the same (idles at 600). I think this low idle is a part of the never-ending quest to reduce fuel consumption, especially on the official test cycle where cars spend considerable time stationary. I am guessing that all engines would vibrate somewhat at this idle speed. So it is likely a compromise that Honda made. The upside is that in my experience this car (1.5T) has outstanding real life fuel economy.

Marcod

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic 1.5
Country flag
I have the same problem brother

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same problem brother
Unfortunately, the earlier 10th gen models (mostly 16-17) have warm factory set idle at 630 rpm. Raising it by about 100 rpm solves the vibration issue.

Of course you need a tuning device like a KTuner to easily do that. The other benefit of KTuner is vroom vroom, so it's a win-win. :)

alicj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I find that sometimes when I stop at a light in Drive, the engines rpm goes down to 600-650 on the tachometer and the vibration starts. But if I shift to Neutral the rpm goes up to 700-750 and the vibration stops. Since I already have a habit of shifting to N when stopping, that's what I do to prevent the shaking.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
This is pretty characteristic. Depends on the customer's definition of excessive as well. I've had cars come in feeling brand new to me and customer acts like it's bucking out of their hands so :dunno:
Sponsored