Vibration in Engine Area

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
I have an odd vibration in the engine area. I feel it through the steering wheel and gas pedal. It's not constant and not while idle. It doesn't happy from bumps in the road. It can go on for 2-5 seconds..something like a rubber mallet banging...like a wheel loose. I can feel it best when it happens on smooth roads, I'm assuming it happens all the time. I wiggled the mudguards, but they are definitely not the culprit. This has happened since new. Car only has 3500 miles on it and only highway miles.

2019 2.0L coupe
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
My first thought is to inspect the front tires for something obvious. Then maybe jack up one side at a time and try to wiggle the wheels from 9 and 3 o'clock and 12 and 6 o'clock. If there's play; there's a problem, I'm told.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you not taken it to the dealer to get checked? If it's been happening since new, that's the first thing you should have done.

OP
OP
ulieq

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
Yes, they refused to look at the problem. I have escalated to Honda corporate, now I'm just waiting until I feel like wasting my day going in and listening to their sad excuses. I believe the dealership damaged the car taking it for a joy ride.

Last edited:

OP
OP
ulieq

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
So I took it again today to have them look at it. They did the road test but couldn't replicate the sound. It goes to say their roads are very poor with noise and road quality. I can replicate it ever day. They said they took a basic look at the suspension and nothing was loose, but wouldn't go further than that. They said since there are no lights on, they wont do a diagnostic. I drove a new version as a comparison and the drive quality was much better, a very noticeable difference. I've been having this vibration/rattle all the time.

In short, there is something going on and the dealership wont look at it unless I can figure out what it is apparently

OP
OP
ulieq

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
If anyone ever has ideas, feel free to post them.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If it only occurs while the car is moving it's likely an unbalanced wheel/tire, slung wheel weight, or a mis-mounted tire on the front.
You must have a lousy dealership as the "diagnostic" test could be done by their service "gofer".

OP
OP
ulieq

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
I've had problems with the dealership not wanting to do a full inspection...there is not much I can do about that since I'm basically in rural iowa.
Sponsored