Vibration in Clutch Pedal?

genericSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
When I bought my SI in Massachusetts, I fell in love with it on twisty back roads. And then I moved to Brooklyn. Driving here is a nightmare, and I find myself clutching a lot more in heavy traffic.

And that's when I noticed the issue: after about 30 minutes of heavy clutching (it can take 10 minutes to drive 2 blocks), I feel a vibration in the clutch pedal, esp when shifting into lower gears. The longer I drive, the stronger it gets. If I leave the car off for a few hours, it goes away. If I take a long (mostly highway) trip over an hour, eventually the same thing will happen.

I gave it to Honda for 2 weeks, their lead mechanic drove it home, but I received their typical reply, "we couldn't replicate ... " blah blah blah. I'm grasping at straws, there's only 6,000 miles on the odo, but no one seems to know what's causing this. I'd prefer not to replace the entire clutch assembly on a brand new car. Help?
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Are you smelling the clutch burning when this happens?

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I second the clutch smell. I know with bumper to bumper traffic you’re inevitably going to ride the clutch a bit if you’re not careful.

How high are you revving your engine before you start to release the clutch? In bumper to bumper I usually release it no higher than 1-1.5k rpm.. Another technique I practice (not from NY so YMMV), I let cars get 1-2 lengths ahead of me before I move forward, so I can release the clutch fully (I can usually have it fully released and moving forward doing about 6-7 km/h). If you’re constantly riding the clutch, that could explain the vibration, you could be putting abnormal wear on the clutch.

Even better, get out on the highway and drive it for 30 min to an hour and see if you can replicate it. If you can’t, then maybe it’s just simply adjusting your driving habits before you burn out your clutch.
Sponsored