Vibrating ticking sound in sunroof area

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Anyone had experience with this? When I'm driving on a road that causes the car to vibrate or even when I'm just at high RPMs, I would hear this faint fast ticking noise, like if you took the sticky side of Scotch tape and tapped your finger against it. It's coming from above my right ear. When the sunroof is tilted open or partially slid back, it goes away.
Sponsored

BigDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe, '01 Silverado
Country flag
I've got it to. I thought maybe it was a loose headliner... not clipped in all the way or rattling in the clips. Some foam in the area proved that it was not the cause of the noise. I've been intending on opening the sunroof all the way and sticking my head up there to see what could be the possible source but haven't gotten to that yet.

If you figure it out let me know, I'll do likewise.

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
I've got it to. I thought maybe it was a loose headliner... not clipped in all the way or rattling in the clips. Some foam in the area proved that it was not the cause of the noise. I've been intending on opening the sunroof all the way and sticking my head up there to see what could be the possible source but haven't gotten to that yet.

If you figure it out let me know, I'll do likewise.
You're gonna stick your head out of the sunroof while it's moving?

BigDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe, '01 Silverado
Country flag
Lol! No, was just going to open it up to look in there to see if I can identify any possible noise sources that would look like they match what I'm hearing.

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Lol! No, was just going to open it up to look in there to see if I can identify any possible noise sources that would look like they match what I'm hearing.
Ah I see. I had it open and if I gently push on the edge of the headliner, it makes the same type of sound. But I don't see what that has to do with the sunroof glass panel.

I wonder if it's because when it's open, something is farther away from the top surface of the headliner and when closed, something gets pushed down. It seems like there's double sided tape or something at the top of the headliner between that and the bottom of the roof.

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
OK I realized today, with the sunroof closed and the divider closed, if I jamb my finger into the gap between the back of the divider and the roof liner, the sound stops...

Not sure where to go from here.

18SIvic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Coupe, 14 IS350, 02 IS300
Country flag
Sounds like a moonroof squeak we used to get with the old 3.2TL. It happens on any Honda but the Tls were notorious for this. The noise was coming from the moonroof seal rubbing against the roof frame. With the moonroof closed, push on the glass repeatedly and see if you can duplicate the noise. If so, open the moonroof and use a rag with some Spray 9 (or similar) and clean the front of the moonroof seal. Also clean the roof frame where the seal sits against. Then tilt the moonroof and clean the sides and back of the seal. This should make the squeaking stop. If not, you can go one more further and apply a thin film of silicone grease to the seal. (we used Shin-Etsu silicone grease). Hope that helps.

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
It's not a squeaking, it's like plastic against plastic vibrating.

carsrmilife

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring(TRADED)
Country flag
This is a known and documented problem. There are a couple of other posts about it on here. They cover it under warranty. Getting mine done in a few weeks.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Couldn't get mine done under warranty. They said that playing in that area could potentially make the problem worse.
After watching a few videos, I might try the "foam trick".

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Update: not coming from the headliner. I was able to replicate the sound by playing with the pop-up wind deflector. Haven't had time to mess around with it yet but I think putting a small piece of foam underneath it may help.

helixgt

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Anyone had experience with this? When I'm driving on a road that causes the car to vibrate or even when I'm just at high RPMs, I would hear this faint fast ticking noise, like if you took the sticky side of Scotch tape and tapped your finger against it. It's coming from above my right ear. When the sunroof is tilted open or partially slid back, it goes away.
I had the exact ticking /sticking sound come from my Visor overhead .I think it must be the glue in between the head liner separated. every time going through bumpy road I can hear.i plan to back to car dealer on my 1st service since it has only 500mile on my car
Sponsored