First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Even if you can get this for 27K (which will be difficult) that's still about $5k more than a Si and maybe more like $6-7K if stealerships are charging MSRP. Is this $5-7K better than a Si?

It may be and I'm sure I would have checked this car out had it been available 2 months ago; but I still think I would have gone with the Si. I actually like that the Si isn't high horsepower. I also like the small lightweight dynamic. As they say, it's more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

I'm sure this veloster is faster than the Si... but I'd be shocked if it's nearly as fun to drive.
Si is 24k msrp so if you could deal to pay 3k to get the N, it's not a bad deal I would think. Not sure about the N but Veloster Turbos arent too hard to get under msrp
Sponsored

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I think the car will disappoint. The reviews I'm reading are carefully worded to praise certain aspects of the car and downplay others to make the overall review reek of positivity. Smells coordinated to make sure the Veloster N gets a good launch.

It is not unabashed praise like the Type R - pretty much the only negatives you can find about that are aesthetics and the engine tone. Which are 100% subjective.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
While I won't be running out to replace my Si, I like that there is another choice out there. With the demise of the FiST and FoST and RS, the pool of hot hatches that are Stick only is shrinking!

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I am not expecting the Veloster N to be a Type R competitor. What intrigues me is the fact that Hyundai appears to have focused more on the performance of the vehicle than Honda did with the Si and because of that, my hope is that the Veloster N would provide me with what I am missing from the Si.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
The performance packaged 275hp Veloster N I'm sure is a better car than the Si. 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.8, the same .97 lateral g's, and brakes about 10ft shorter from 70mph. Its just a better performance car period, but for 5k more it should be. Now, for the base Veloster N without all the performance goodies of the Performance Pack, like the LSD, better tires, bigger brakes, and 25hp less etc, I'm sure the performance numbers vs the Si will be competitive with the Si having some advantages. The base Veloster N is a direct competitor to the Si and GTI IMO, while the Performance Pack Veloster N is shooting up against the Type R and Golf R while offering an incredible value as its main selling point.

HSFBunny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hyundai hired one of the top engineers from BMW, and he designed the Veloster. You can see lots of BMW design elements in the car (ie good design). The three door set up is very cool, and it took balls to put it into production. I'll test drive one when it comes out.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The performance packaged 275hp Veloster N I'm sure is a better car than the Si. 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.8, the same .97 lateral g's, and brakes about 10ft shorter from 70mph. Its just a better performance car period, but for 5k more it should be. Now, for the base Veloster N without all the performance goodies of the Performance Pack, like the LSD, better tires, bigger brakes, and 25hp less etc, I'm sure the performance numbers vs the Si will be competitive with the Si having some advantages. The base Veloster N is a direct competitor to the Si and GTI IMO, while the Performance Pack Veloster N is shooting up against the Type R and Golf R while offering an incredible value as its main selling point.
Good points. Maybe Honda should have a performance pack trim for the Si, not counting HFP :D

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good points. Maybe Honda should have a performance pack trim for the Si, not counting HFP :D
Maybe call it a SiR ... that would be cool.

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
It's good that this car exists and I hope it's popular. It's funny to see the Honda defenders in here trying to jump all over this thing. We need more cars like this to create competition in the sport-sedan/hot-hatch market. With the Elantra Sport, Elantra GT Sport, and the Veloster N Honda now really has Hyundai nipping at their heels. That's more choice for those of us who like to drive fun cars and more impetus for Honda to keep improving their offerings.

For me personally the Veloster N is too small to consider. If they brought the i30N to North America I would be pretty interested.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
20 years from now, will that Hyundai still be on the road with 150,000 miles? Doubtful. But a Honda? A WRX? A gti? Yes.

There’s more to the price of cheap Korean cars than what the sticker says. These cars age like mayflies. Trust me, I’ve driven dozens of used Hyundais (and kias) and they fall apart so quickly. So yes, maybe 30K is a great deal for the performance, but it’s still a hunk of junk that will trade in for half its value in 2 years.
A 20 year old GTI still in good working order and still on the road? Ha, fat chance of finding one. I had a Mk. V GTI, and it fell apart after the fifth year even though it was well maintained at an excellent VW independent repair shop.

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
A 20 year old GTI still in good working order and still on the road? Ha, fat chance of finding one. I had a Mk. V GTI, and it fell apart after the fifth year even though it was well maintained at an excellent VW independent repair shop.
Eh, I guess it depends. I was just giving some “for instances”. When I think of Hyundais, as well as actually DRIVE them, I know they won’t age/aren’t currently aging well. They just don’t. Maybe that will change soon, but when I have compared my 6 year old, 115,000 mile civic si with a 3 year old 40,000 mile Hyundai, there is no comparison. The Hyundai’s steering wheel is shedding, the seats are all worn, the things run rough, etc. and yeah maybe not all at once, but they wear like tissue paper. Just saying.

Armyman2988

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Doug is a moron. He spent like a minute bitching about the spoiler flopping when you shut the hatch on the Type R. Why though? Who cares? The engine and transmission are bulletproof and I literally did not notice or care on my CTR how the spoiler acts. I only care that it drives like a bat out of hell and can carry 4 people and haul a bunch of shit if I need it to with crazy good fuel economy and low maintenance requirements.

Veloster N looks ho-hum with garbage coloring. All reviews are commenting on the crappy shifting dynamics and lack of steering feel, especially at the limit. If you want to sacrifice functionality to look boring, then by all means. This is the car for you.
Not only did he bitch about it but did you he how hard he slams the hatch?

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
I personally think the N looks like shit...styling is boring...interior in Hyundai quality to say the least. The car just doesn't do it for me, I can always give respect where its due but man to compare it to the type R is a no go. And most will say I'm obviously biased but even if I didn't own the R I'd still feel the same
Sponsored