First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe that's been your experience but the 20,000+ members I had at my elantraclub.com forum would say otherwise. Hyundai and Kia now build solid, reliable cars and have for a while now. Where they lacked was in the performance area so getting Albert Biermann from BMW's M division was a huge move for them.

I'm old enough to remember people calling Hondas pieces of shit in the early days too. Times change.
I am going to agree here. Also I cant fathom a GTi being more reliable than a newer Hyundai.

Fun fact Hyundai is tied for 6th most reliable car brand in 2018... Honda, Subaru and VW are not even in the top 10.
Sponsored

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if a performance pack N is in the 25k-27k range its really a strong choice over a Si. I wonder if the 275hp has much cheap horsepower left on the table (tune, downpipe etc.).
29k for the performance pack but if they go below msrp to about 27k I think it would have a good case vs the SI.

bane3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Sorrento SXL, 2015 Kia Soul +
Country flag
if a performance pack N is in the 25k-27k range its really a strong choice over a Si. I wonder if the 275hp has much cheap horsepower left on the table (tune, downpipe etc.).
Don’t forget, this runs on 87 octane per edmunds and motortrend. I’m sure bumping to 93 and a more aggressive tune will yield good results.

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
And once again, if it’s THAT cheap for that kind of performance, it HAS to make you wonder how it’s put together:fear:

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
And once again, if it’s THAT cheap for that kind of performance, it HAS to make you wonder how it’s put together:fear:
It appears that they put most of the money into the performance of the vehicle. If you watch videos on the recent press event that they had, some journalist mentioned that the interior had a lot of hard touch plastics. Some people wouldn't mind that compromise. I believe this vehicle is a good alternative if you want more performance out of your Si, but don't want to upgrade to the Type R. This is definitely on my radar. It addresses most of my complaints with the Si (rev hang, volume knob :rofl:, great sounding exhaust for a 4 cylinder turbo). I am planning to test drive one if they are available at my local dealership.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It appears that they put most of the money into the performance of the vehicle. If you watch videos on the recent press event that they had, some journalist mentioned that the interior had a lot of hard touch plastics. Some people wouldn't mind that compromise. I believe this vehicle is a good alternative if you want more performance out of your Si, but don't want to upgrade to the Type R. This is definitely on my radar. It addresses most of my complaints with the Si (rev hang, volume knob :rofl:, great sounding exhaust for a 4 cylinder turbo). I am planning to test drive one if they are available at my local dealership.
I agree here... my only issue is it is not wife approved... she hates it haha. She hates the Type-R also... in fact... she hates all hatchbacks lol. Neither are a real choice for me. But its an impressive car none the less.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I agree here... my only issue is it is not wife approved... she hates it haha. She hates the Type-R also... in fact... she hates all hatchbacks lol. Neither are a real choice for me. But its an impressive car none the less.
I am not a fan of hatchbacks either lol. I am more of a coupe person, but I am willing to try new things and overlook the styling a bit for performance.

happychanga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I wonder how many units will North America get, I seriously don't think it will be a lot. The price is not much more than the 1.6t turbo ultimate velosters. So if each dealership only get a couple, best of luck getting one under msrp. I do like the veloster N's popcorn exhaust until I find out it is actually anti-lag which is bad for turbo longevity. So I'm gonna keep my CTR with better interior quality, more power, more space, and insanely good resale value. :headbang:

happychanga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I don't understand why we don't get the i30N, we have the elantra gt which is the i30. it looks better has more space and 4 doors. why would hyundai even waste money develop the veloster N? I would definitely get the i30N for 30k.

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
29k for the performance pack but if they go below msrp to about 27k I think it would have a good case vs the SI.
Even if you can get this for 27K (which will be difficult) that's still about $5k more than a Si and maybe more like $6-7K if stealerships are charging MSRP. Is this $5-7K better than a Si?

It may be and I'm sure I would have checked this car out had it been available 2 months ago; but I still think I would have gone with the Si. I actually like that the Si isn't high horsepower. I also like the small lightweight dynamic. As they say, it's more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

I'm sure this veloster is faster than the Si... but I'd be shocked if it's nearly as fun to drive.
Sponsored