Veloster N does not compete with the Type R!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
JayDiem, my "stuff like this" comment was based on you responding to the other poster about bogus Hyundai online reviews. The implication being that the reviews were way too favorable for a Hyundai.

Like jred says, there is a huge anti-Hyundai bias it seems. Having owned both brands I can tell you that Hyundai makes a good product.

As to the premise of this thread, the N is probably not quite as good as the Type R, but it's certainly a more potent perfomance car than the Si. And that's exactly where Hyundai slotted it.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
As to the premise of this thread, the N is probably not quite as good as the Type R, but it's certainly a more potent perfomance car than the Si. And that's exactly where Hyundai slotted it.
Outside of straight line performance, show me where the N is a better performance car than the Si.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Outside of straight line performance, show me where the N is a better performance car than the Si.
Please tell me you are joking, right?

Did you even watch the video I posted?

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I didnt see an Si in that video
The fact that I literally can't find a single video comparing the Veloster N to the Si and only videos comparing it to the Type R is all the proof I need that it is a better performer than Si. The Si is a great car but if there's one thing Hyundai is good at its pricing, they aren't going to price their Veloster N at $26K unless they know it eclipses the Si. If the Si and Veloster are so close in performance as you claim it is, then why aren't there any comparisons between them? And why would Hyundai bother making a Veloster Turbo? I get you like your car but at least be a bit realistic.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
jred, you can't talk sense to this guy. He still doesn't believe my tuned CVT turbo is quicker to 60 than a stock Si. ;)

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
jred, you can't talk sense to this guy. He still doesn't believe my tuned CVT turbo is quicker to 60 than a stock Si. ;)
Nvm then :rolleyes:

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
xbbnx, I've never seen anyone try to puff up the Si more than you. It's a good car. A very good car. But, it's no R or N.

Here are Car and Driver's test results of a 2017 Civic Si sedan:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15079646/2017-honda-civic-si-sedan-test-review/

IMG_20190506_204020.jpg

Here are Car and Driver's test results of a 2019 Veloster N:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a24512652/2019-hyundai-veloster-n-hot-hatch-performance/

IMG_20190506_203942.jpg
I like how you post the Car and Driver Si results with the one with the crappy all season tires. While the Performance Pack N comes with ultra performance summer tires, how about making the comparison more fair and post the results with the Si summer? Here's a better question, why arent there any test results of the Base N? That would compare more favorably with the Si. What is Hyundai trying to hide by only releasing the PP N to Car magazines and reviewers? While the PP N might be a better performance car than the Si, I'll give you that, I dont think the base N is (doesn't even have an LSD lol and its supposed to be an N?). At the end of the day you can't universally say the N is a better performamce car than the Si, as the other version of it hasnt even been tested to prove that.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK xbbnx, you win. My tuned CVT at 5.7 seconds to 60 is way slower than a stock Si. The Si is the best car ever, no doubt.

The reason I posted the PP version N results is because that was all I could find. The sedan Si results were the first one I saw. No conspiracy.

Dude, I get it, you love your car, but at a certain point, it's a bit much.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OK xbbnx, you win. My tuned CVT at 5.7 seconds to 60 is way slower than a stock Si. The Si is the best car ever, no doubt.

The reason I posted the PP version N results is because that was all I could find. The sedan Si results were the first one I saw. No conspiracy.

Dude, I get it, you love your car, but at a certain point, it's a bit much.
Lol I'm just being objective man. Nothing I have said can not be backed up.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You know what might be cool? Go to your local Hyundai dealer and test drive one of those shitty N's and see how bad it is. ;)

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You know what might be cool? Go to your local Hyundai dealer and test drive one of those shitty N's and see how bad it is. ;)
Trust me its on my radar.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
It's not being marketed as a Type R competitor by Hyundai. It slots above the Si and GTI but below the Golf R and Type R. It's a very fine effort by Hyundai for the price.

Btw, I've checked out all the dyno runs posted online and most get considerably more that what you posted. This one shows 236hp at the wheels and 260tq at the wheels...

That’s right.
There are 2 versions: One w/250hp and the Other with the Sport Pkg that gets another 25hp.
It is a novel effort for Hyundai to do a bit extra to their compact class. There’s an audience for everything in modern automotive today.
Alas, there is more to any vehicle than mere power numbers and not everyone is an enthusiast. Sometimes we opt for more technology or comfort creatures that the bare bone sport models don’t offer; especially $ to $

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I gotta say ... I would love to have Hyundai's infotainment/adjustability. The CivicX system is ... well, the nicest thing that I can say about it is that Honda's newer system is worse.
Sponsored