Veloster N does not compete with the Type R!

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
It competes with the likes of the Si, GTI, WRX. Recently car reviewers like The Straight Pipes, and Redline Reviews have done a direct comparison with the Type R and I just dont get it. Its price point and performance numbers show that the N is swimming against the tide upstream. For example it has been dynoed to show a max output stock to the wheels of 215hp and 236lb ft of torque. Those numbers are not too far off from the Si (204hp, 212lb ft), and is worst than the WRX and GTI. In fact according to Motortrend, it is only about half a second faster to 60 and finishes the quater mile only half a second faster than its little sibling the R-Spec. It also struggles against the GTI, and WRX to 60 and in the quater mile. The Si is also only about a half second behind. Now, all of these stats are the N with the Performance Pack, the base N will be most likely even stevens with the rest of this field. So please stop with these over hyped fan fare with the Veloster N and keep it in its lane.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...019-hyundai-veloster-n-first-test-review/amp/
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It's not being marketed as a Type R competitor by Hyundai. It slots above the Si and GTI but below the Golf R and Type R. It's a very fine effort by Hyundai for the price.

Btw, I've checked out all the dyno runs posted online and most get considerably more that what you posted. This one shows 236hp at the wheels and 260tq at the wheels...

Last edited:

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Front end is a rip off the ST, in my opinion. Hyundai hasn’t shown much originality in styling, but I do applaud them for their growth and marketing strategies. They know how to appeal to the average consumer and have proven themselves in the industry.

NeoZeed

Harvester of Sorrow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
While I've never test drove the Veloster N, I'm a little weary of what people on youtube say about Hyundai / Kia vehicles. I don't want to imply anything about particular YouTuber's affiliates or the kickbacks they get outright, but I will say this:

When shopping for a car last year, my heart was set on a Subaru BRZ. I test drove it on 3 different occasions and loved it... but the girlfriend gave the thumbs down due to it not really having back seats and lack of trunk space. So I did TONS of research, pored over articles, youtube videos, and test drove nearly every competitor (even not-direct competitors based on what I was looking for.). Because of certain youtubers' suggestions, I test drove an Elantra Sport and Veloster Turbo R Spec because of the rave reviews they get and the glowing praise they seem to get, Including outright beating the Civic Si in shootouts due to:

- Value
- Comfort
- Exhaust Note
- "fun factor"
- clutch feel
- no rev hang
- etc

So I was pretty shocked at how spartan and cheap the interior looked/felt in these vehicles. Faux leather in the Elantra Sport seemed nice enough, but overall it wasn't that different in perceived quality from the BRZ, which is considered particularly bad. Hard plastics everywhere, rattling interior in the Veloster (in a brand new car!) plasticy-feeling shifter, and despite having much more torque than the BRZ, FELT slower than it for some odd reason. I guess that could be to the overall handling being worse and both of them being FWD combined with the lack of LSD.

I test drove those cars before test driving the Civic Si. I was pretty worried about the Civic after seeing video reviews because of the attitude these youtubers have about the Civic in comparison to how they were about the Hyundais. Well I can say, without a doubt in my mind, that test driving the Si was like stepping into a car a class above. It felt like a car that cost $5000 more.

Let me explain:

Handling was far more precise, the steering feel was much more engaging, the interior was much higher quality and had more room/space without feeling like a boat. It felt WAY quicker than those cars, particularly in lower gears due to the more aggressive ratios, the paint didn't have the orange peel BOTH hyundais had, it also came with an LSD. Yes it has rev hang, a light clutch, and a muted exhaust note... but these things are small compared to the overall perceived and felt quality difference between it and the Hyundais.

CONCLUSION:
I do not trust reviewers that laud Hyundai cars. I do not know what is going on, but after my experience, I'm nearly convinced there is something strange going on with Hyundai / Kia reviews. I'm not saying any particular Youtuber's names, but I cannot reconcile what they said compared to what I witnessed and experienced first-hand. Test drive for yourself, don't trust anyone's opinion who makes money off of said opinion.

Maybe the Veloster N is fantastic and a true Type R killer for $8000 cheaper... I can't say because I havn't driven either of them. But I am weary of these reviews.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
NeoZeed, just to throw one thing out there. This new Veloster N is nothing like the crap last gen Veloster you tested. This one is legit and tuned by ex-BMW M head Albert Biermann. The last gen Veloster was based on the old Accent chassis, believe it or not.

Last edited:

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But that exhaust note on the Veloster N, man. Frankly, that's what I expected to hear from the Type R. Most of the reviewers on Youtube had the same opinion. I don't care the "crackle" sound but the I think the exhaust sounds beefier.

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
I watched a few of those comparo videos this morning too. The conclusion I drew was that it shouldn't be viewed as a type r killer, more that it's worth considering for the money. It's the same value proposition as the stinger, almost as much car for less money than the competition.

Pretty sure Biermann said it himself, they weren't chasing lap times when designing the car. They focused on handling and fun to drive characteristics.

I'd certainly consider giving it a test drive if I were in the market still.

NeoZeed

Harvester of Sorrow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
NeoZeed, just to throw one thing out there. This new Veloster N is nothing like the crap last gen Veloster you tested. This one is legit and tuned by ex-BMW M head Albert Biermann. The last gen Veloster was based on the old Accent chassis, believe it or not.
The veloster r spec I drove had only been out a month when I drove it, it’s the current gen and the same chassis as the N as far as I know. The “Si” to the N’s “Type R” if you will. I don’t doubt the performance is there... all I’m saying is, in my experience, be skeptical of Hyundai reviews from some youtubers.

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
I agree, I've seen a couple of absolutely ridiculous comparison videos over the last year that made me feel like people were getting paid to plug Hyundai.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The N is significantly cheaper than a Type R and offers a lot of performance and features for the price. As others have said, it slots right between an Si and a Type R and for the price their charging, its a great deal imo. The only thing I don't like is the subpar interior, but I guess they had to cut corners somewhere. Personally, i'm still taking something like a GTI over an N but I respect it for what it is.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, I've seen a couple of absolutely ridiculous comparison videos over the last year that made me feel like people were getting paid to plug Hyundai.
Stuff like this makes me laugh. It's as if people can't respect the strides Hyundai has made over the years. This isn't the same Hyundai that sold the Pony and Excel nearly 40 years ago.

When you take into account the warranty and pricing, they're very good. And now that Biermann is in charge of performance, they are getting better in the handling department too.

I've owned Acuras and Hondas and Kias and Hyundais. The gap isn't as big as you may think.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
The N is significantly cheaper than a Type R and offers a lot of performance and features for the price. As others have said, it slots right between an Si and a Type R and for the price their charging, its a great deal imo. The only thing I don't like is the subpar interior, but I guess they had to cut corners somewhere. Personally, i'm still taking something like a GTI over an N but I respect it for what it is.
Ill like to see a direct comparison between a GTI, Si, WRX, and N. The new kid on the block vs the 3 accomplished players. The N is probably closer in performance to those 3 than it is to the Type R and Golf R. So IMO it slots middle-left between the Si and Type R. Lets see a Base N without the extra what 20 ponies? Performance tires etc against an Si, and I bet it comes down to a driver's race/skill.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
Stuff like this makes me laugh. It's as if people can't respect the strides Hyundai has made over the years. This isn't the same Hyundai that sold the Pony and Excel nearly 40 years ago.

When you take into account the warranty and pricing, they're very good. And now that Biermann is in charge of performance, they are getting better in the handling department too.

I've owned Acuras and Hondas and Kias and Hyundais. The gap isn't as big as you may think.
Not what I said, stay in your lane. Maybe if you take a logic class you will focus on the fact I didn't say anything about Hyundai not stepping their game up or being an excellent value. What I said, was a couple of reviews were fishy as hell and downright comical for what they were, not that someone can't respect the N up against the R.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Not what I said, stay in your lane. Maybe if you take a logic class you will focus on the fact I didn't say anything about Hyundai not stepping their game up or being an excellent value. What I said, was a couple of reviews were fishy as hell and downright comical for what they were, not that someone can't respect the N up against the R.
Heres my thing, if those reviewers said the same thing about Honda, people would be kissing their ass and roaring in agreement. But because its Hyundai, people just cant accept the fact that they might actually be able to make a good hot hatch. All across the board, i've heard nothing but good things about the Hyundai. I think its really short sighted to just assume they're being paid just because they like the Hyundai. I've seen too many people be skeptical about this car and its honestly kinda sad to see.
Sponsored