OP
fitter_here

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Does anyone know the different delays of the EX variable intermittent wipers? I installed the switch and connected pin 10 to E21 on the BCM. And while there is definitely a difference in delay between the slowest and fastest settings, they weren't what I had expected. There are 7 steps, ranging from about 5 secs between wipes on the fastest setting to about 15 secs on the slowest setting. I wonder how these compare to the factory variable intermittent delays of an EX and above.
What switch did you use?
It seems better than only one speed. I'll try this mod in a few months.
Sponsored

OP
OP
fitter_here

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Does anyone know the different delays of the EX variable intermittent wipers? I installed the switch and connected pin 10 to E21 on the BCM. And while there is definitely a difference in delay between the slowest and fastest settings, they weren't what I had expected. There are 7 steps, ranging from about 5 secs between wipes on the fastest setting to about 15 secs on the slowest setting. I wonder how these compare to the factory variable intermittent delays of an EX and above.
Do you think this could affect the time for intermittence:
Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper Wiper-1

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
That's cool. Didn't realize it had that feature. Makes we want this even more now.
@wwmisc
When you took your timings for the different delay settings, was the car siting still or were you driving?

wwmisc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback 6M
Country flag
Interesting. I see what you guys are getting at. Yes, when I measured the timing, my car was parked. I'll have to test again when in motion (But will probably have a passenger do so because it'll be tricky to operate the wipers, measure, and drive at the same time!).

I have an LX hatchback, so I got the switch from a Type-R (35256-TV0-A11), i.e. With rear windshield wiper control. I'm guessing that for coupe/sedan, you just need the corresponding switch from an EX or higher coupe/sedan.

wwmisc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting. I see what you guys are getting at. Yes, when I measured the timing, my car was parked. I'll have to test again when in motion (But will probably have a passenger do so because it'll be tricky to operate the wipers, measure, and drive at the same time!).

I have an LX hatchback, so I got the switch from a Type-R (35256-TV0-A11), i.e. With rear windshield wiper control. I'm guessing that for coupe/sedan, you just need the corresponding switch from an EX or higher coupe/sedan.
I did another test, this time while driving. Although I didn't precisely measure the delays, they were indeed quite different from when I was parked and much more in line with what I've seen on other cars. The fastest setting is essentially the same as LO, as @fitter_here noted in the manual.

OP
OP
fitter_here

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I did another test, this time while driving. Although I didn't precisely measure the delays, they were indeed quite different from when I was parked and much more in line with what I've seen on other cars. The fastest setting is essentially the same as LO, as @fitter_here noted in the manual.
Are you happy with your modification?
How hard is it to get to the BCM?
Thanks

wwmisc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you happy with your modification?
How hard is it to get to the BCM?
Thanks
Very happy, especially considering that I wasn't sure if it would work.

The BCM is not impossible to get to, but there were definitely points along the way, like lying upside down and bent 90 degrees, when I questioned my religion :), or at least questioned if I should have caved and gone for an EX/Touring. If I had no guidance as to where to find the BCM, I most likely would have given up. These posts really saved the day:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/any-idea-where-the-bcm-is-located.30313/
https://www.civicx.com/threads/remo...r-instrument-panel-garnish.30459/#post-510704

CVT's will have easier access than I had because my clutch pedal was in the way. Luckily, connector C2 is on the side toward the middle of the car where I can see/reach it, and at least had enough slack to keep my hopes alive. Once I gained access, it's a matter of connecting the switch to the BCM.

Shout out to @fitter_here, @dc2turbo, @Amomicivic, @compcrasher86, @ck42 for the pieces to the puzzle. Let me know if I can help with any details.

OP
OP
fitter_here

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for telling us your mod.
I'll give it a try this summer, I used to work on fighter jets so I've been lying upside down and bent 90 degrees a few times...lol

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
Thanks for telling us your mod.
I'll give it a try this summer, I used to work on fighter jets so I've been lying upside down and bent 90 degrees a few times...lol
This is fantastic news. This 100% on my next-mod-to-do list!

@wwmisc
Can you provide any info on what pin connectors were required?
How did you accomplish that part?

Last edited:

wantcivXhb-si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback LX 2019
Country flag

@wwmisc
@wwmisc that sounds awesome, as ck42 said, I would love to be able to do this as well, so any other details on your successful mod would be greatly appreciated. My LX is still somewhere between Swindon and Canada (hopefully--supposed to be built "this week") but of all the things I will miss from my current 2010 Civic, the variable intermittent wipers would be the most annoying. I can't believe anyone skimps on that in a 2019 model. In Canada we don't even have an EX trim for the HB, so I would have had to go to Sport or Sport Touring to get that and that I was not interested in...

wwmisc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

@wwmisc
The connectors can definitely make or break the mod, because even if you accessed the switch and BCM, if you used bad connectors, you might think that the mod didn’t work. I know because I had to do things twice, as the first attempt failed because of bad connectors. Luckily I was stubborn and tried a second time, else I too would have thought the mod was a dead end.

You guys who are more seasoned might have better suggestions, but I had these lying around and they worked (The male connectors):
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/192872503792

I don’t necessarily recommend them because they weren’t a perfect fit, but I managed to shape them just right. I also used a thicker gauge wire (20 AWG), but ideally you’d want 22 or 24 AWG. The combination made for a tight but secure fit. I jammed the connector and wire into the housing until it interfered with reconnecting with the switch/BCM, then backed it out a little. This let me know that they’d make good contact with the pins. With better connectors, the job would have definitely taken less time.

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
Just put in an order for the stalk and two different models of pin connectors (one p/n for the stalk connector and a different p/n for the BCM connector).
Once I get a chance to verify that the connectors fit, I'll post again with the Honda connector part numbers. (the same connectors can be purchased as a 'pig-tail', meaning the connector already has a short piece of wire attached that you would then splice onto a longer piece of wire)

Last edited:

wantcivXhb-si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback LX 2019
Country flag
Just put in an order for the stalk and two different models of pin connectors (one p/n for the stalk connector and a different p/n for the BCM connector).
Once I get a chance to verify that the connectors fit, I'll post again with the Honda connector part numbers. (the same connectors can be purchased as a 'pig-tail', meaning the connector already has a short piece of wire attached that you would then splice onto a longer piece of wire)
Great! Let us know how it works out, I am itching to try this out once I get my LX hatch...

LODAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Civic LX
Country flag
I got my switch today, so all you did was run a wire between 10 and E21 and it works ?? I have a hatchback LX (I think it’s an LX? lol)
Thanks for the info.

wwmisc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got my switch today, so all you did was run a wire between 10 and E21 and it works ?? I have a hatchback LX (I think it’s an LX? lol)
Thanks for the info.
In the US, if you don't have variable intermittent wipers, and you don't have dual exhaust, you have an LX. In Canada, looks like if you don't have VIW, you have an LX.

Yes, on the US LX, a wire between 10 on the switch and E21 on the BCM did the trick. Hopefully you'll have the same luck on the Canadian LX.
Sponsored