Ender

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Hey, Kevin with a '16 Civic LX. I was Kevin with a '16 Civic LX until a year ago, now I'm Kevin with a '19 CIvic Sport. (Both 6MT)
I'll be watching for your install report, you beat me to the switch by about 10 minutes!
Ah, sorry about that. I will definitely report it all as best I can! (I drafted a preliminary list of steps on page six of this thread if you think it might be helpful.) I plan on doing the install this afternoon, or possibly tomorrow afternoon. I'll be sure to take photos.

[Update: I've completed the install. Check below for my final how-to guide with pictures.]
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ender

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Hey everyone! At last, I've completed my install. I'm finally compiling my complete how-to, right here for everyone that may want to make this mod. I've tested it out, and it all works perfectly. It's a bit of reading, but I wanted to be comprehensive. I hope this post can help you do it yourself!

How To Install Variable Intermittent Wipers in 10th generation (2016+) LX Civic

Parts/Tools Required:
  • Variable speed wiper stalk. If buying a new one, here are some part numbers that we've found to work:
    SEDAN: 35256-TV0-S61
    HATCHBACK: 35256-TV0-A11; 35256-T6A-C01
  • 22 or 24 AWG Wires
  • Wire pin connectors (ideally taken from a door harness from another Civic, to ensure they fit well. Good connectors can really make or break this install!)
  • A Phillips-head screwdriver
  • A flathead screwdriver
  • [Recommended] A plastic trim removal tool
INSTALLATION:
  1. Prepare your wire by crimping one wire pin connector to each end.
    - Make sure you have enough slack to get from the switch to the BCM.
    - Take a look for the BCM underneath the dashboard, behind the fusebox against the left wall. (Behind the clutch pedal if you have the standard.) It's a black box, and the wires are all on the backside of it. The wire header you'll be working with is is the beige/tan one, on the bottom left side of the box if you're facing it from the engine. Get ready for lots of twisting.

2. Remove the panels from the underside of your dash, and around the steering wheel. You'll want the trim off to replace the switch and run the wire.
    - First, pop out the panels from underneath the dash by pulling them away from their clips. There aren't any screws, but watch out for a wire and a hose on the right side when you take it out. You might be tempted to remove the screw and take out the whole plastic housing, but I recommend just unplugging the wire and popping off the hose. It's a lot easier to push those back on than to get that screw back in.
    - Next, turn the steering wheel so you can see the split between the two pieces of the column cover. The top part is only held on by clips, but the bottom part has 3 screws. Use your trim removal tool (or flathead screwdriver if you're like me and don't own one) to pop off the top half of it first. By turning the wheel to the left and right, you should now be able to see the first 2 screws on the bottom part. The last screw to remove is underneath the column, close to the adjustment lock arm.

3. Unplug and remove your old wiper switch.
    - The plug is on the back of the switch, which is the side closer to the windshield.
    - The switch is held in by two black clips on the top and bottom. Just push them in and pull it out by the stalk.

4. Connect one end of your new wire to the wiper switch connector.
    - The wire needs to run to pin 10 on the new wiper switch. Check the pictures below for the location. It should be the only open port on the bottom row of the housing.
    - You might have an easier time pushing the wire in if you pry the housing open a little. Look for the opening in the side of the housing and try to push it apart a little bit with your screwdriver.

5. Run the wire down to the BCM.
    - It might go without saying, but keep it away from the moving parts of the steering column. I used zip-ties and electrical tape to hold the wire in place.

6. Connect the other end of your wire to the beige/tan connection housing on the BCM. [You don't need to take out the BCM.]
    - The wire needs to run to pin E21. Check the pictures below for the location. It should be the fourth slot in on the bottom row.
    - If you're having trouble getting the wire in, there should be a black plastic panel on the underside of the connection housing. Pry that up a little bit with your screwdriver, and it should go in easier.

7. Install your new wiper switch, then plug everything back in.
    - There's a track that the new switch should fit into. It'll click in, then you can connect the plug again.

8. Test it out!
    - If you're worried something got messed up, don't put the trim back on yet.
    - Make sure to test it while you're moving, because the speed sensors will keep the wipers slow if you're stationary.
Some extra tips:
  • You may want to bring a flashlight, preferably one you can hold in your teeth or set up on the floor.
  • The BCM connector (Step 6) likes to be difficult. Don't give up! Make sure the pin is right side up, then pry up the black piece on the bottom and push that wire in hard.
    • You may be able to pull the connector wire away from the unit a little bit, so you don't have to work with it while you're bent over backwards.
  • When I put the steering column cover back on, the bottom piece didn't seem to fit right. Turns out, I missed the tab on the wiper stalk when I was pushing the trim back into place. It can be a little tricky with the keyhole. If you're having trouble with it, it may help to get over the steering wheel and get a look at it from above.
  • If you can't get it working on the first try, don't panic. Unless you mess around with any existing connections, the worst thing that can happen is that the mod won't do anything. Your wipers should still function the same as they did before.

That's all there is to it! Shouldn't take longer than an hour or two with the right preparation. There's not a lot that can go wrong if you stick to these steps, but always make sure to be careful when you modify your car. It's your responsibility to do the right research beforehand, and none of us here on the forum can be held responsible if something bad happens.

I'm going to post some photos below for reference, but you should definitely read through the rest of this thread if you want more info. If it's not in the thread already, then ask.

HUGE thank you to @wwmisc, @ck42, @fitter_here (op), @compcrasher86, and everyone that contributed their time, pictures, and effort into making this modification a reality! Now, the next step is for Honda to just make this a standard feature...

Last edited:

Ender

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
PICTURES

A perfectly crimped wire connector pin, compliments of @DAVEEVAD

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper 79GgznuQwk-TCazj0RsPC-iDogV6VXlaIzxhW8IxE0_n_p8QHHXqHy6gFo8-vMSJTnuuiM9VJt-xXi22Fk=w1109-h937-no

This is the top cover of the steering column being popped off.

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper IMG_20200308_140122084

This is one of the screws holding on the bottom piece of the steering column cover.

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper IMG_20200308_140201690

This is the final screw holding on the steering column cover.

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper IMG_20200308_135357905_HDR

This is a wiper switch after being removed. You can see the port for the wire connector, and one of the tabs to push when you take it out.

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper IMG_20200308_141952318_HDR

This is the back of the wiper switch connection housing, after installing the new wire at pin 10.

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper IMG_20200308_150312319

This is a diagram showing which pin your new wire should go into at the switch connector. (Thanks to @fitter_here)

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper wiper-switch-connector-

This is the back of the BCM. The tan connector on the bottom left is connector E.

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper img_20200305_143729181-

Here is a diagram of the connector, with pin E21 highlighted. (Thank you again to @fitter_here)

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper bcm-

This is connector E with the new wire installed on pin 21.

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper IMG_20200308_150036761

You should have a brand new wiper switch now! :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper IMG_20200308_160639813

Hopefully this should be all you need. I have some other photos that I took, so I can add more if any of this is unclear. If you need more clarification on anything, let me know.

Attachments

Last edited:

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
Dangit, not working for me! I could not for the life of me get the pin into the BCM connector. It only goes half way in one orientation, or almost all the way in another. I was hoping that would be "good enough," but no dice. I'll take another shot at it tomorrow, I guess. Not like there's anything else to do these days...

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dangit, not working for me! I could not for the life of me get the pin into the BCM connector. It only goes half way in one orientation, or almost all the way in another. I was hoping that would be "good enough," but no dice. I'll take another shot at it tomorrow, I guess. Not like there's anything else to do these days...
The Tan BCM connector should have a black strip on it. use a small screwdriver to pop it up, insert your wire, and then press down again.

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
I just tried that, also opened up the wiper stalk connector and seated that better, but still not working. I got the stalk used on ebay, so I suppose there is a chance it's not working? But everything else functions, just stuck with the regular intermittent. Yes, I tried it driving too.

DAVEEVAD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I just tried that, also opened up the wiper stalk connector and seated that better, but still not working. I got the stalk used on ebay, so I suppose there is a chance it's not working? But everything else functions, just stuck with the regular intermittent. Yes, I tried it driving too.
PUSH!
I too got a bit discouraged, like I wouldn't be able to fully seat the pins (specifically in the BCM) but I gave one more push and I felt it slot it. You can see from the front of the connector if it's in place. **See the 4th square from the bottom of the left column, in my pic. Notice the silver is viewable in the locations that have pins.

Do you have a DMM or Volt meter tha does continuity test (beep)? You may need a second set of hands but test the continuity from the front of both connectors if it beeps then you know you've seated them properly.

Also...triple check that you've got the pins I the correct locations. Smarter people have made bigger mistakes. It's worth a check.

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper 20200223_134844

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks, I gave it another try yesterday, but didn't give it a road test yet. Hopefully I got it done, and I'll try it out again next time I go out.
I don't think my multi-meter pins are small enough to get into these tiny connectors.
The used stalk I got from ebay had the connector still in it, they just cut the wires, so I could verify the wire placement on the top end. Triple and quadruple checked the BCM wire, and it's correct. Mine has a yellow wire in slot #22, not sure what it's for. Mine is '19 with Honda Sensing standard on all models, so must be something there.
This whole thing is pretty tough on 45y/o eyes, let me tell you...LOL

DAVEEVAD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Thanks, I gave it another try yesterday, but didn't give it a road test yet. Hopefully I got it done, and I'll try it out again next time I go out.
I don't think my multi-meter pins are small enough to get into these tiny connectors.
The used stalk I got from ebay had the connector still in it, they just cut the wires, so I could verify the wire placement on the top end. Triple and quadruple checked the BCM wire, and it's correct. Mine has a yellow wire in slot #22, not sure what it's for. Mine is '19 with Honda Sensing standard on all models, so must be something there.
This whole thing is pretty tough on 45y/o eyes, let me tell you...LOL
42 here...I feel ya! Try attaching an unfolded small paperclip or safety pin. Having alligator clip leads helps with this.
I was able to see the variable speed effect even while not moving. The slowest speed was SLOW. It was clearly different than the single speed without the fix.

Good luck to you!

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
42 here...I feel ya! Try attaching an unfolded small paperclip or safety pin. Having alligator clip leads helps with this.
I was able to see the variable speed effect even while not moving. The slowest speed was SLOW. It was clearly different than the single speed without the fix.

Good luck to you!
Ok, that's a great idea! Thanks. Headed out in a minute, so maybe I did get it going last try. I have it put back together because without the buttons for front collision and traction control, etc. on the lower trim plugged in it was throwing all kind of warning lights at me.

Edit- Just drove it and it’s all working! Last try yesterday must have got it, but I just didn’t have it in me to test another failure yesterday.
Thanks again for all the help, especially the terminated wire!

Last edited:

Ender

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Hope everyone's staying well out there! Everything has been working perfectly, but I was wondering if anybody could give me a hand with my trim panels. The two plastic pieces don't seem to close properly over the steering column now. Any advice?

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper IMG_20200313_122434033

wwmisc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback 6M
Country flag
Hope everyone's staying well out there! Everything has been working perfectly, but I was wondering if anybody could give me a hand with my trim panels. The two plastic pieces don't seem to close properly over the steering column now. Any advice?

IMG_20200313_122434033.jpg
This exact thing happened to me. Made the steering column look crooked.

In my case, not all of the tabs were lined up or tucked in quite perfectly. You may need to pop the panel up again, line up all the tabs, then press down evenly.

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
This exact thing happened to me. Made the steering column look crooked.

In my case, not all of the tabs were lined up or tucked in quite perfectly. You may need to pop the panel up again, line up all the tabs, then press down evenly.
It may be the front of the top trim. It kinda "hinges" in to the lower piece near the gauges. So, at an angle start the top piece going towards the front of the car, the the rear portion should all line up and snap in place.

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag

IMG_20200313_122434033.jpg
I believe your actual problem is the lower half is not seated right. The lower column cover is not located into the bottom tab of the wiper stalk. That is why the black ring around your illuminated ring doesn't look right. That black ring should be pretty flush with the lower cowl's ring around it......your lower column cover is pushed out because it is not located properly into the tab of the wiper switch. That is why the top cover looks too "narrow" for the bottom cover, the lower cover is pushed out from that wiper stalk lower tab pushing it out.