Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R

CTR1589

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Hey guys. I changed my oil a couple of days ago and noticed oil on the bottom of the engine and other components. I followed the oil leak and found the valve cover gasket to be leaking. There was oil on top of the engine block on the firewall side, right underneath the valve cover. I cleaned the oil up, and not even 100 miles later and there is more oil in the same place. I saw a post about this happening to the new gen Si, but has anyone else had this issue on the Type R? (Sorry I don't have any photos). Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

OP
OP

CTR1589

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Wow, any mods?
No. Bone stock.

I don't think that it is the same as this guy, as it appears he has a problem with the head. He sounds like he was leaking a lot more oil, plus I never noticed a drop of oil under the car when parked anywhere. Also, it seems like there are several Si guys who reported the same thing. I am pretty sure it is just the valve cover gasket, but I'll find out after I take it in, which won't be until after the holiday.

OP
OP

CTR1589

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Seems like my valve cover gasket is also leaking from the firewall side. sigh..
Mine looks exactly like yours with the little pools of oil on the head. How many miles are on your car? Do you do your own oil changes? - just wondering b/c I noticed oil all over the bottom of the engine and was wondering if you saw the same thing. Not exactly sure how much oil I lost over 3K miles, as this was my first oil change (I only have about 3100 miles right now).

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
@#04338 how many miles does your car have?

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Mine only have 1600 miles. And yes i did my super early oil change at 1000 miles. when i dropped the belly pan, there was no oil on the bottom. When i installed my exhaust at 1550 miles, thats when i noticed the bottom 2 bolts by the crank with oil dripping. Cleaned it once and it came back. Hopefully is just the valve cover gasket leaking down and not the oil pan gasket leaking.

OP
OP

CTR1589

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Due to the location of the oil (on top of the head), I am hoping it is just the valve cover gasket. I'm already getting anxiety about having the dealership work on this thing. The less they have to do the better!

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yea, i feel the same. I rather pay for the gasket and get it done my self.

An appointment has been made for Thursday, hopefully they don't deny warranty since my mods that are not related to the valve cover gasket. Lol

Anyone else have this same issue?

OP
OP

CTR1589

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
I had my gasket changed at around 3k miles same issue but on the 1.5t. They changed it through warranty and it hasn't leaked since
Sounds like this is an issue across all Civic models. It happened on your 1.5t, Si guys reported this, and now we have the Type R with this issue also. Good to hear that it hasn't leaked since though. Thanks for the info!

By the way, how many miles are on your car now?

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
Seems like my valve cover gasket is also leaking from the firewall side. sigh..

20180702_175439.jpg

20180702_175348.jpg
I have a question for you guys. Is our valve cover made of plastic? I have seen many manufacturers using plastic for their valve covers as of late. Would you think warping of the valve cover could cause this leakage if it is made out of plastic?

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
The leaking has nothing to do with plastic valve covers. Manufacturers have been using them since last decade and they seal just as well as aluminum valve covers.
Sponsored