Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Today I went ahead and cut open my 2 used oil filters that I've ran in my EX-T 1.5T. They replaced my filter for my first oil change with the "not as good" A02 filter. The A01 filter I just took off on the weekend had 2 oil cycles through it (2 oil changes, approximately 10,000kms.)

Some points before I start with the comparison:

The A01 filter (filtech)
Used for 3rd oil change from 24,000kms-34000kms (10,000kms)
Castrol Syntec for 6000kms, Mobil1 green cap advanced fuel economy for 4000kms (0W20 obviously)

The A02 filter (Honeywell)
Used for first oil change done by Honda. (First and last time after noticing my dipstick was bent when I got my car back, and oil was black again after 100kms, made me feel like they didn't let it drain long enough..)
Used for 8000kms

So before we look at the pics, the lesser quality, A02 filter, was used for 2000kms less, than the better A01 filter.

Pics & Info:

(Filtech filter on left, A01) (Honeywell, A02 on right)

Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0590.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0591.JPG

A01 on top
Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0592.JPG

A02 filter (notice the cardboard end caps)
Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0593.JPG

Notice on the A01 filter that it has less end cap surface area for more filtration.
Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0594.JPG

A01 on right
Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0595.JPG

A01 at top with a better anti-drain valve setup.
Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0596.JPG

The A01 filter was very hard to rip apart and has very strongly glue holding it all together.
Notice how it looks "hairy" which to me is a good sign showing that it can filter very fine particles..
Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0597.JPG

More strong glue (accidentally ripped the element because the glue was so strong)
Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0598.JPG

A01 on left
Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0599.JPG

A01 at top
A02 at bottom (notice some metal shavings if you zoom in!)
Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0600.JPG

A01 (top) appears to have at least 1/4" taller of a filter element.
Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0601.JPG

A01 at top (much thicker than A02's case)
Also note that the A01 has more threads than the A02
Honda Civic 10th gen Used OEM A01 vs A02 oil filters comparison IMG_0602.JPG

I mainly wanted to see for myself how big the difference was in real life. I'd say there are enough differences to prove here that the A01 filter is superior; for an OEM filter at least.

Cheers :wave:

- Northern.

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Nice post. Thanks for the info. Planning on sticking with A01 filters for as long as I can get a hold of them.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Good, because I've stocked up enough to last me 6 years :)

OP
OP
NorthernEX-T

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
have they discontinued the a01?
No.. they just seem to be twice as hard to find in the States as the A02. They are always on amazon from what I remember though.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
No.. they just seem to be twice as hard to find in the States as the A02. They are always on amazon from what I remember though.
Oi.... Il have my mom stop at a dealer in spain and see what they got sitting around.. Maybe il bring a ton back next time i go over there

OP
OP
NorthernEX-T

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Oi.... Il have my mom stop at a dealer in spain and see what they got sitting around.. Maybe il bring a ton back next time i go over there
Update on oil filters.

Went to my dealer today to return the A02 filter they gave me, and I explained that I wanted the A01. He then tells me that the A02 is replaced by the A01. Discontinued. Stock up while you can!

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Update on oil filters.

Went to my dealer today to return the A02 filter they gave me, and I explained that I wanted the A01. He then tells me that the A02 is replaced by the A01. Discontinued. Stock up while you can!
Thats a bag of dicks. Now to perform this test with 3rd party filters LOL

Cyoda

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Tundra CrewMax
Country flag
Update on oil filters.

“He then tells me that the A02 is replaced by the A01“. <— that would be good news. The A01 is replacing the A02.

Did you mean the A02 is replacing the A01? <—— that means stock up!

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last edited:

HatchPanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatckback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thats a bag of dicks. Now to perform this test with 3rd party filters LOL
There are tons of videos on dissecting oil filters! Very descriptive internal specs of major brand oil filters, some better than the A01

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are tons of videos on dissecting oil filters! Very descriptive internal specs of major brand oil filters, some better than the A01

Do we need really better filter ?
How will we know that the engine will be in better condition in 100,000 miles ?
Why would Honda use filters that would not do the job?

HatchPanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatckback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any type of filter (oil, engine air, cabin air, A/C filter in your home) traps dirt and contaminants as much as possible. In todays world different companies are always pushing the limit as to how much dirt and contaminants get filtered by using more filter material or more advanced material. Not that you really need it, but if you want your engine to run as clean as possible then you should check out the oil filter dissection comparison videos just like our friend did here but with different aftermarket brands that are only dedicated to making filters....Idk do I really need the A01? ...Maybe no, but its what I always prefer over the A02. Im just saying there is a science to this, and anyone can watch it.

Last edited:

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Honda filters do the job fine although there are better options elsewhere. I usually try to avoid dealerships at all costs for good reason. The filter from Honda is good but the person doing the oil change at dealers can be hit or miss.

I recently picked up some Fram Ultras for $7 Cdn, which are arguably one of the best filters available. This was at Walmart while shopping for groceries and not having to make a special trip to the dealer.

If you can get a better performing filter for a similar price, I would choose that route every time.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda filters do the job fine although there are better options elsewhere. I usually try to avoid dealerships at all costs for good reason. The filter from Honda is good but the person doing the oil change at dealers can be hit or miss.

I recently picked up some Fram Ultras for $7 Cdn, which are arguably one of the best filters available. This was at Walmart while shopping for groceries and not having to make a special trip to the dealer.

If you can get a better performing filter for a similar price, I would choose that route every time.

I will use Honda filter from the dealer during warranty,I change oil myself . In case of engine problem, dealer can't argue about filter it is not original.
I know the law is for me with any good brand of oil filter but it a waiste of time......

My car cost me $24,000 cnd , I don't care about few dollars more or less for a oil filter twice a year.
Better filter for the price ? Not sure engine need better (?) and will last longer; that is my question.

Many ( most ? ) car buyer return car to the dealer after 3 - year , = low millage
Sponsored