usb for music, what format? Need troubleshooint help!!

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How should I format my usb thumb drive for playing music in my civic?
Sponsored

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FAT32

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
This, also mp3's work fine and will remember play back. Sort your playlists or albums however you want into their own folders and the car can play and shuffle folder by folder or everything on the drive. I keep a low profile one (so I don't break the usb port storing things) in my arm rest all the time.

OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cool, thanks. Hope disk utility has that option...

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FAT32 or exFAT will also work if you have a 64 or 128 GB USB and want to store some files or movies larger than 4 GB.

OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Really, that's odd. If I have artists>albums in folders will it display the folders in alpha by default? Sounds like maybe not. I'll find out soon enough...
MacOS's normal Finder view hides a lot of hidden files and prefixes that aren't needed for regular human interaction. The Finder also sorts the files in its views (by name, or date modified, or size, etc), but it doesn't actually sort them in the index of the volume (in this case, the USB drive is the volume).

The Android OS that runs the car's infotainment system displays the folders and whatnot according to their index order -- which is created according to when the files were copied onto the volume.

All told, even though it's nice to have a stash of my own tunes always available, I despise the UI that Honda designed, and have rarely bothered to use it to navigate the files on my USB stick. CarPlay is so much easier to use, and I'm sure Android Auto is better than Honda's UI, too.

OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
MacOS's normal Finder view hides a lot of hidden files and prefixes that aren't needed for regular human interaction. The Finder also sorts the files in its views (by name, or date modified, or size, etc), but it doesn't actually sort them in the index of the volume (in this case, the USB drive is the volume).

The Android OS that runs the car's infotainment system displays the folders and whatnot according to their index order -- which is created according to when the files were copied onto the volume.

All told, even though it's nice to have a stash of my own tunes always available, I despise the UI that Honda designed, and have rarely bothered to use it to navigate the files on my USB stick. CarPlay is so much easier to use, and I'm sure Android Auto is better than Honda's UI, too.
I have an LX so I don't have all that fancy stuff. Iphone thru usb works great; album artwork, easy to navigate. I am hoping the usb drive will be similar minus the album artwork...

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am hoping the usb drive will be similar minus the album artwork...
It also shows album artwork (if available).

OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It also shows album artwork (if available).
Really... well that's pretty sweet. So how does a thumb drive with music on it differ from an iPod when plugged into the usb?

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Really... well that's pretty sweet. So how does a thumb drive with music on it differ from an iPod when plugged into the usb?
The interfaces are a little different for ipod vs. flash drive. On the ipod interface you can pause your music...you can't with the flash drive. However, the flash drive shows the time length of the file while the ipod does not. The flash drive will go to the next album after the last song of the current album you're listening to....the ipod will start repeating the album after the last song. It's a shame Honda couldn't combine all these features into an identical interface for both ipod and flash drive.

And in my case and some other people's, the flash drive is slow to start after turning on the engine, is more prone to freezing, and sometimes says "no data" even though my flash drive is plugged in. I have no glitches at all when using my ipod classic (but others do).

I guess it really depends on who built your civic and when it was built. There seems to be so much variability in what civic owners are experiencing.

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And in my case and some other people's, the flash drive is slow to start after turning on the engine, is more prone to freezing, and sometimes says "no data" even though my flash drive is plugged in. I have no glitches at all when using my ipod classic (but others do).
Can't complain about that. No glitches yet.

OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, so I formatted the drive as EXFat. The only other option that had 'fat' in the name was MS-DOS(FAT).

Then I put on three artist folders, with album subfolders inside those. Some of the files are mp3 and some are m4a, when I put it in the usb port I get an 'unplayable file' message.

Is it the formatting of the disk, then m4a files, or the subfolders that are the problem, or something else?

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored