ybok

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I have a 2017 Civic Sport Touring Hatchback and have been using the console USB port to play music. There are no junk files on the drives, only mp3 and jpg. In the 5 months that I have had the car 3 USB flash drives (ADATA and TEAM Group) have been corrupted which were used only to play mp3 music on my civic. The new 16 GB flash drives were formatted FAT32 and one when bad while driving and playing music. The audio system cycled through each song and reported that each song it tried to play was unplayable. When I put the drives on my PC, they were unreadable and required formatting. However the formatting failed because Windows considered the flash drives as write protected. I tried many things to get them formatted but all failed.

Also noticed that the side view camera no longer worked (just a black screen). This was kinda scary because I don't know what else in the computer might have been hosed while I was driving. The side view camera feature returned after restarting the car.

Anyone have this problem or suggestions?
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 2017 Civic Sport Touring Hatchback and have been using the console USB port to play music. There are no junk files on the drives, only mp3 and jpg. In the 5 months that I have had the car 3 USB flash drives (ADATA and TEAM Group) have been corrupted which were used only to play mp3 music on my civic. The new 16 GB flash drives were formatted FAT32 and one when bad while driving and playing music. The audio system cycled through each song and reported that each song it tried to play was unplayable. When I put the drives on my PC, they were unreadable and required formatting. However the formatting failed because Windows considered the flash drives as write protected. I tried many things to get them formatted but all failed.

Also noticed that the side view camera no longer worked (just a black screen). This was kinda scary because I don't know what else in the computer might have been hosed while I was driving. The side view camera feature returned after restarting the car.

Anyone have this problem or suggestions?
Do you leave the flash drives in your car? Do you live in a hot climate? Maybe the heat is destroying them. If so, you need to get Class 10 SD card which can handle extreme heat with a USB reader.

OP
OP

ybok

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Do you leave the flash drives in your car? Do you live in a hot climate? Maybe the heat is destroying them. If so, you need to get Class 10 SD card which can handle extreme heat with a USB reader.
Thanks for your response. Heat is a good point, I do keep the drives in the car but the car is garaged during the day and I keep the drives in the console hidden from direct sunlight. Specs for these drives: Operating Temperature: 32° F to 140° F, Storage Temperature: -4° F to 185° F. When I used these in my previous Celica with a dash mounted Sony radio I never had such a problem and they were more subject to be in direct sunlight.

Well if no one else seems to have a problem, then it could be something unique to me.

tpman24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT
I've had the same USB in my car since December and haven't had any problems so far. I'm pretty sure mine is a Sandisk.

karaokegod73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
I have used the same USB and never had any problem UNTIL the last time I added some songs. Now I have the same problems as OP, files not playing and camera not working (works if I remove USB drive). So later today I'll bring the laptop out to the car and make changes to the files until it starts working again. Hopefully I'll figure out what the issue is.

Amduskias

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic IX 1.6 i-DTec Vaillante 2017
Hello.
I have been experiencing such problems several times. I only use USB, all the time, since I've had the car (in june)
At the beginning I was using a hard drive as it was the setup I had been successfully using in my previous Civic VIII FK2 with an alpine CDE-178BT. Worked like a charm.
But I had to format a first time my hdd after a first corruption, then a second. I started backing up the whole data on a computer thinking this problem could happen again. I changed my hdd for a usb stick, Kingston HyperX Datatraveler 3.0 64GB thinking that it would be faster to load (every time I start the car I had to wait for 1min30 before I could have music playing) and that it would be more resilient to the vibrations of the road.
Well, no. It is still super slow, and I've already had to Low Level Format the stick two times already (same symptoms as stated above, write protected etc). With the switching from the hdd to the stick, I tried to have this good habit to shut the music off before I stop the engine, to avoid some kind of electric peak or whatever. So, obviously I switch the audio back on way after the engine's on (one minute generally).

I am quite disappointed of electronics on this ninth generation: I had some trouble with CTBA and rain sensors, ABS calculator, some weird behaviours with bluetooth with Sony and Nokia... I also find this scrolling through the available music is terrible. Alpine had folders you could open instead of having the whole device scanned and thrown to your face in the biggest disorder.

Maybe I should report this music usb corruption to my dealer but I doubt they could understand and/or have a constructive idea or solution. They just seem to be mechanics and don't understand much more.
Sponsored