Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi, new here :)

So I have a totally stock 2017 civic ex-t sedan. I am stuck on so many options and not a lot of experience. One option is to trade the car in for the 2020 civic hatchback sport. I always wanted the hatchback, but could not afford one at the time.. If I get one, then I can wait a while on the stuff mentioned below.

Either way, I was wondering about options for performance upgrades!

Anyone available to share wisdom on my options will be greatly appreciated.

**Is upgrading to a different engine something I can pull off? I saw people putting FK8's in older models, could this be done with mine?

**Is the PRL Big Turbo Upgrade kit reliable? I have been considering this the most.

**A mechanic friend of mine recommended simply upgrading smaller aspects of the car followed by tuning it. (ie. cold air intake, downpipe, exhaust) would Hondata be an efficient way of tuning?

*******This is my first car where I actually have the resources and drive to upgrade.. and it is also my first car worth the time to upgrade. I really just want to make sure this is done right. Also, I cannot trade up to SI or TypeR, my wife cannot drive stick :(
Sponsored

410 Civic

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
If you can upgrade without taking a hit, I'd say get a 2020 so you get some of the nice parts of the refresh. Then later just get ktuner or hondata for a tune. And probably some bolt ons after if you wanna keep going. My personal opinion is don't waste money, or excessive money on cars that are automatic when manual is an option. If you can, just try to teach your gf so then you can get a manual. I've known some people who would dump money into an automatic transmission car and in the end regret it just to buy a manual instead. I just traded in my 2017 EXT for a 2020 Si also and my clutch may hate me later but the goal is to teach my gf how to drive it too lol.

OP
OP

LordeKyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man I wish I could just go with the manual.. my wife is stubborn as hell when it comes to that lol. I will keep on it though! I heard of some honda branded upgrades you can get through the dealership when you buy a car but I cannot remember what exactly it was called.

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
Get a ktuner or hondata, big MAF and intake, exhaust, and suspension. After that if you want to go fast, consider big brakes. Gotta be able to stop if you're gonna go fast. If you are sticking with the CVT then you aren't going to want to go too big with your build. IMO it will be unwise to put a big turbo on it.

Start with a ktuner or hondata. That may quell your need for performance upgrades for a while. I've heard the improvement is pretty substantial.

OP
OP

LordeKyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get a ktuner or hondata, big MAF and intake, exhaust, and suspension. After that if you want to go fast, consider big brakes. Gotta be able to stop if you're gonna go fast. If you are sticking with the CVT then you aren't going to want to go too big with your build. IMO it will be unwise to put a big turbo on it.

Start with a ktuner or hondata. That may quell your need for performance upgrades for a while. I've heard the improvement is pretty substantial.
I like this idea too, I am at war with my wife for the SI so wish me luck. Worst case scenario I think my car is great and im just being greedy lol. Thanks for the advice!

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd say short of an engine swap there is nothing wrong with any of those options. However based on the limited information gathered from your post, I think small mods is the best route for you at this time. You can have a lot of fun with KTuner and a good tune.

OP
OP

LordeKyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd say short of an engine swap there is nothing wrong with any of those options. However based on the limited information gathered from your post, I think small mods is the best route for you at this time. You can have a lot of fun with KTuner and a good tune.
Awesome! Starting to look like that is the option I will have to go with then. Any brand recommendations??

2ndCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic si
Country flag
I heard of some honda branded upgrades you can get through the dealership when you buy a car but I cannot remember what exactly it was called.
I believe what you're thinking of is Honda Factory Performance. The upgrades are mostly cosmetic.

OP
OP

LordeKyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe what you're thinking of is Honda Factory Performance. The upgrades are mostly cosmetic.
Ah okay, yes that is what it was. I kinda figured that was but I thought I would ask anyways hahaha

Erin Tyres

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Since you are in Florida, you do not have to use all season tires. You can buy performance tires which have much more grip than the originals.

The low cost way to upgrade is to wait for your present tires to wear out, then replace them with performance tires in the OEM size.

Many people have bought aftermarket wheels and put on bigger tires. You can get a stylish custom look, better cornering, and better braking.

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Highly recommend just getting the 2020 Hatchback Sport the upgrades added to it are enough to warrant it, other then that you could stay with the EX-T do a Hondata Flash stage 2, get yourself a down-pipe and exhaust and call it a day I recommend getting the 2020 Hatch and then going the 27won route for upgrades they have a full kit from intake to exhaust and a bolt on turbo for only 1500 bucks. They also supply a hondata with a pre-built map for it. 300HP here you come

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ktuner/Hondata, CAI, DP/FP, and exhaust. Those plug-n-play will transform your car without the need of an engine swap or a big turbo kit. If you want to go faster than that, buy a faster/better car to tune.

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
Hi, new here :)

So I have a totally stock 2017 civic ex-t sedan. I am stuck on so many options and not a lot of experience. One option is to trade the car in for the 2020 civic hatchback sport. I always wanted the hatchback, but could not afford one at the time.. If I get one, then I can wait a while on the stuff mentioned below.

Either way, I was wondering about options for performance upgrades!

Anyone available to share wisdom on my options will be greatly appreciated.

**Is upgrading to a different engine something I can pull off? I saw people putting FK8's in older models, could this be done with mine?

**Is the PRL Big Turbo Upgrade kit reliable? I have been considering this the most.

**A mechanic friend of mine recommended simply upgrading smaller aspects of the car followed by tuning it. (ie. cold air intake, downpipe, exhaust) would Hondata be an efficient way of tuning?

*******This is my first car where I actually have the resources and drive to upgrade.. and it is also my first car worth the time to upgrade. I really just want to make sure this is done right. Also, I cannot trade up to SI or TypeR, my wife cannot drive stick :(
Just buy a different car bro. You obviously don't like it and its never worth modding it.